drag bar choice?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vmax1125

Reaction score
i have read a lot of threads about drag bars and i dont mean to step on any if i am but i need a little input.
i want to change to drags and flanders sound like the deal but pricey however they are wider than most which i am concerned about. i will be using bar end mirrors and dont want the whole deal being to wide looking but on the other hand i dont want to narrow i guess they would make it handle bad. are flanders bars thicker than others is that why the high price or just the name i was not impressed with the strength on stock bars when i seen how they snapped right off on my cousins max so better quality bars might be a good thing.
so guys give me some input i know there are a lot a drag bar wheeling vmax's here who can steer me the right direction you know the pro's and con's.
Chris:ummm:

Your cousin SNAPPED 7/8" bars? What was he doing - bike rodeo?

Anyway I was gonna say, if you get the bars you like but they end up being a tad too wide, you can always chop the ends off - it's just tubing and not very hard to cut.

I went the other way and got Triumph Bonneville/Tiger 650 bars off eBay for $32 - they're just the usual 7/8" chrome kind, but I think it would take some beating to snap those off..

Running 29" w/ 0 rise and 2" pull back generic drag bars on my Max with bar end mirrors. One thing to be careful of is that too short and your controls will hit your airbox cover and leave a nice dent when you turn too tight to the right. I have 2" bar risers from Exactrep installed to take care of this issue. By my measurements you want to have them be at least 31" wide if they have any pull back to avoid this problem. Broomstick drag bars are another animal that I know zilch about:biglaugh:

Yupp I have 2 dings on my faux from this:bang head: Or you can increase your stops located on the triple tree to prevent this, which I will do when I buy a new faux at a decent price.

I have never heard of snapping a handlebar? Was he riding a fat chick on the handlebars when he snapped them?:rofl_200:

Really think about, what kind of force do you put on your handlebars:ummm:

I cant remember where I got mine at but I know I wasnt going to pay anymore than 25.00 for a chrome piece of tube.

5 yrs later and I havent snapped my cheapos yet. But I dont ride fat chicks on my handlebars.

"One thing to be careful of is that too short and your controls will hit your airbox cover and leave a nice dent when you turn too tight to the right."

yes they are snapped on both sides of the clamp but it is from eating the back of a truck at 25 mph but they seem very thin.the funny part is the front end is fine no damage besides a little scuff on the axle end. check out the pic.
Chris

Attachments

• ebay pics 005.jpg
    ebay pics 005.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 71
OOOUCH!!

Yeah I guess they would snap with 800 lbs of force traveling at 25MPH I am not a pyhsic but I am sure thats a lot of energy.

Well if your worried about your drag bars snapping you could always fill them with concrete with metal particles mixed to make em much stronger.

Or modify the bar mounts to fit fork tubes they didnt bend.

i think i will try the lesser and not hit the back of a silverado that should take care of the breakage!!! are all drag bars going to hit the faux even when they are set right in the clamp?
Chris

Here is a good post about handlebars. It even has pictures to show what Jim and Lankkee when talking about faux tank clearances!
And it has "eight-by-ten colour glossy pictures with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one", all here on Buster's VeeeeeMax Foooorums!

Yupp I have 2 dings on my faux from this:bang head: Or you can increase your stops located on the triple tree to prevent this, which I will do when I buy a new faux at a decent price.

I have never heard of snapping a handlebar? Was he riding a fat chick on the handlebars when he snapped them?:rofl_200:

Really think about, what kind of force do you put on your handlebars:ummm:

I cant remember where I got mine at but I know I wasnt going to pay anymore than 25.00 for a chrome piece of tube.

5 yrs later and I havent snapped my cheapos yet. But I dont ride fat chicks on my handlebars.

"One thing to be careful of is that too short and your controls will hit your airbox cover and leave a nice dent when you turn too tight to the right."
" LOL" THATS F!@#%*G FUNNY " :rofl_200:

Last edited:
I PUT UFO DRAG BARS ON MY 2006 MAX , AS LONG AS YOU KEEP YOUR MIRROR STEMS AT A 90 DEG. ANGLE FROM THE GROUND ( STAIGHT UP ) & HAVE THE BARS TIPPED UP SOME & MOUNT THE CONTROLLS & THEN LOWER THE BARS WITH THEM TURNED ALL THE WAY ONE WAY , THEN TIGHTEN THE RISER'S !THE CONTOLLS WILL NOT HIT ( ON A 2006 ) THEY COME WITHIN 1/4 OF AN INCH , I TOOK OFF MY UFO 'S & PUT ON FLANDERS BLACK POWDER COATED DRAG BARS ! 3-4 INCHES WIDDER & I CAN SEE BEHIND ME , WITH THE UFO'S I COULD ONLY SEE MY ARMS IN 2 THIRDS OF THE MIRRORS , I LIKE THE WIDDER FLANDERS MUCH BETTER FEEL & CONTROLL !:punk:

Last edited:
i think i am going to give the flanders drags a try everyone that has them speaks highly of them. anyone know the cheapest place to buy them i have been seeing around $87 + shipping. thanks for the input everyone always makes it easy to decide.
Chris :Wink2:

I still have my bars too. The drags run $20 but I like the superbike bar $25. It's the same pull back as the dragbar but a little rise so you can still keep the controls in the normal position and no problems with dinging the tank.

Sean

hey Sean i know i saw the thread when you were talking about your bars but could not find it do you have the link so you dont have to explain and post pics all over.
Chris

Pic attached. Looks in the pic can be deceiving as well as numbers in wrong columns for some. Someday they (or I) will correct it.

Attachments

• Handlebars.JPG
    Handlebars.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 59
Sean do you have a pic of superbike compared to stock and do they come in black.
Chris

Yes, the come in black. Superbike is bar "F" and drag is Bar "H"

Attachments

• Right rear - Kerker.jpg
    Right rear - Kerker.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 53
the pic is a max with the superbars? do they have less problems with clearance than flat drags they look like it.
Chris

Latest posts

Back