drilling your OEM

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anybody have probs getting inspected with drilled out stockers or full header systems?
Steve-o

i didn't with my supertrapps steve, shouldn't this year either, if u run into problems i can probably point you to a guy up this way.

yea it'd be a good ride n whatnot. i gotta get mine done in the next month and will try to go sooner rather than later.

mine will officially fail so i know i can't goto the dealer as they check clear lights lighting up the plate. we will see if mine will at this guys, as my buddys sport bike passed without them last yr

reminds me of the good old days back in high school when my buds always argued over which was better Ford or Chevy then I took my dodge out and spanked them both lol.
Really I am leaning on the cheep mod of drilling out 3/4in and leaving endcaps off until I save up for the Marks. 4gasem won't put me on the crap list that way over the ufo coment haha

found a 18" long 5/16 bit deep in my toolbox so now gotta get to the store and buy a 1" hole saw. just hope the 5/16 will work so I can save a little cash :)

started my mod on the oem exhaust today. I got a 1in hole saw blade with a 12 inch 1/4 in bit and drilled down center of exhaust far as I could reach.Then I took a 1/4 inch bit and drilled out rivet heads and carefully removed chrome oem cover. then took a small punch and knocked out rivets inside holes. Took a measuring stick and marked center between each rivet hole. Center punched marks for new holes. Drilled with 3/4 bit. Cleaned up surface with scotch bright pad then cleaned with break clean. Taped and painted with black high temp paint. Installed no14 screws into rivet holes. Ready for next side. :punk:

Attachments

• DSC_0026.jpg
    DSC_0026.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 70
  • DSC_0027.jpg
    DSC_0027.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 72
  • DSC_0028.jpg
    DSC_0028.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 74
  • DSC_0029.jpg
    DSC_0029.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 74
  • DSC_0030.jpg
    DSC_0030.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 75
  • DSC_0031.jpg
    DSC_0031.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 73
  • DSC_0032.jpg
    DSC_0032.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 74
  • DSC_0033.jpg
    DSC_0033.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 77
  • DSC_0034.jpg
    DSC_0034.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 74
  • DSC_0025.jpg
    DSC_0025.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 75
  • DSC_0035.jpg
    DSC_0035.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 77
  • DSC_0041.jpg
    DSC_0041.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 88
  • DSC_0040.jpg
    DSC_0040.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 99
  • DSC_0039.jpg
    DSC_0039.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 83
  • DSC_0038.jpg
    DSC_0038.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 75
  • DSC_0037.jpg
    DSC_0037.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 74
  • DSC_0036.jpg
    DSC_0036.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 80
I just finished drilling mine out this last weekend, well at least it started off with just drilling it out but then once I got started I just decided to cut out the whole back baffle/pipe itself out of the muffler and then put the chrome cover back on so it still looks stock. Still needs a little cleanup work but it?s getting there. I had to turn the mixture screws out to 3 turns to get it to idle right.

Now all my project needs is new brake lines, brakes, drag bars, grips, flush mount turn signals, progressive shocks, oh yea and a 2nd gear!

The video does not give it justice it does sound pretty good in person.

I could not get the video to upload so here is a link.
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=&release=105608765

Hi, my mufflers look like nd4topspd:eds ones, they sound nice but I want more. Looking in thru the holes with a flashlight there is another "wall" a bit in. What will happen if I drill trhu that one as well?
I would have dragpipes on if it was not for the fact that I love my stock mufflers, they are one reason why I bought the bike in the first place. So I wont go for aftermarket parts.

I wish i had a .25 cent every time you say that Chris, but yeah i agree!!!! LOL Ok back to the exhaust if you are on a budget save your coin until you can invest in a full system dont waste your money on slip ons no real performance gains. JIm

I won't stop! I know it's like :deadhorse: but I don't care. He's a crook and stole 600 bucks from me and threw me to the ditch. :damn angry:

I did this mod, 5 half inch holes around the outside and I used a long screwdriver to punch a hole in the center plug, then twisted to make it round. I went through putting the end caps back, spaced off by 1/2", It sounded smothered to me and I don't really like the idea of exhaust blowing up on a passenger. I made new end caps with corresponding holes and a one inch cutout in the middle. It took a little getting used to the sound but, I'm over any problems with that.

Others have said that the Max is rich at the stock configuration. For me doing these mods has brought the plug readings to near perfect. I do run Non Ethinol gas. I run Stabil in it, because I store quite a bit so I'm sure I have it for the bikes and the boat. I also run a light mixture of Marval Mystery Oil and Octane booster, although that's not really necessary with the low compression engine. I'm really happy with the muffler setup I have right now. Just wish it sounded more like Marks. Like a Small Block Chevy.

Can't have everything.

Lot's of options.....

I have a post under "Exhaust" with a sound file.
"Modified Exhaust with 3/4 holes.

Yankee

Attachments

• 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 51
  • dyno AF.jpg
    dyno AF.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 45
Here are a couple pictures of the end caps I made for the modified stock mufflers. I used the original end caps as a template because these caps aren't round. The bike is down for graphics on the cover and fenders. That's why it looks bare at the back.

Attachments

• Max Ehaust Cap 0.jpg
    Max Ehaust Cap 0.jpg
    327.8 KB · Views: 34
  • Max Ehaust Cap1.jpg
    Max Ehaust Cap1.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 43
Back