Exhaust Fumes

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peterbilt387X

Reaction score
So I just installed Sean's Muscle Kit and I LOVE it! Unfortunately, I feel as if the fumes from the bike are a bit strong. I asked Sean already about it but I'm just curious if other Max owners have the same issue. If I sit at a traffic light, the fumes are pretty strong. People behind me say that I smoke them out. Hard acceleration does not produce any cloud. The exhaust tip is not wet. After a ride, my clothes smell like I have been riding a two-stroke. The smell in the garage will linger for days. Below is a run-down of my setup:

1997 Yamaha V-Max 1200
Morley Muscle kit installed
- 155 mains
- 177.5 PAJ2
- 90 (whatever comes stock) PAJ1
- stock pilots
Stage 7 needles, 3rd clip from blunt end
UFO Dragstar 4-1
V-Boost always on (unplugged in open position)
A/F screws at 3.25
Slides drilled, Stage 7 springs

The bike runs like a raped ape, way better than before. Not sure if it's just the V-Boost that's giving me that sensation or truly its running better. Eventually I will get the bike to a dyno, but I would like to tune it close so that I don't have to spend too much (much more parts I would like to buy). Will also be checking the plugs shortly after I can romp on it and shut off. Just gotta watch for cops! (would look bad since I am one lol). Haven't fouled any plugs yet...

On startup, I have to run 1/4-1/2 choke to keep the bike running. Once up to temp, it idles at 1000 pretty good. Possibly a little on the lopey side (this is probably b/c the V-boost being always on). The carbs are synced. Before the jet kit, the thing would start almost always w/o a choke. So this seems odd, but a few users say that even a well-tuned Max runs terrible until the temp is off the stopper. Until it is fully warm, even a small blip of the throttle causes the bike to bog and an air sound comes from the carbs. Then idle returns to normal.

Riding is a blast. It pulls strong in all gears (I think). If riding normally/cruising, I do have to keep the bike out of the final gear b/c it sputters until there is a load on it. Not sure if this is regular or not. Before I could cruise at 45 in 5th gear, no issues.

I've tried leaning out the A/F screws but my vacuum drops on the synch tool (cheap Motion Pro) and then I have to adjust my idle thumb screw. Then the bike hesitates (with the whooshing sound) from the carbs on throttle movement. I fear that if I richen the A/F screws, the smell will get worse. Also, my right front A/F screw leaks a bit. I just can't believe that would be causing all the smell. Just purchased a new one from Yamaha, will be installing today or tomorrow. Unfortunately I gotta work the next few days which land on the two nicest days of the week for Ohio! Bummer!

Is the smell a common thing? There is a lot of questions b/c I only found one previous topic about the smell and that was on a CA emissions bike. Any help would be appreciated!

This is a general rule, but most people will start with the mains at 150's, and needles at 2-3 clips from the blunt end.

Thats a good place to start, and you can adjust accordingly.

Here is a good thread to read. http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=35151

Also, if you lean everything out, you wont need the PAJ#2 at 177.

Bottom line, if your bike smells too rich, you probably are. Also, If its tuned right, you can run with the V-boost closed. It will actually lean you out at part throttle, and thats why originally dynojet suggested keeping it open all of the time. Her's my trials and tribulations on the dyno. Success's and failures. http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=32875

I just mean that it's gassy, no oil smell at all. I just remember two-strokes always being so smelly that your eyes water lol. That's how it was when I was syncing the carbs, had to take a step out of the garage, even with the bike near the door.

Have the same problem on my '90 model with 28k miles
Carbs balanced and the smell is just breath taking, otherwise works fine

Easiest thing to start with is your statement: "V-Boost always on (unplugged in open position)"
Set it back to stock and see if that reduces the odors.

Also check to see if you have a stuck carb float. Pull the chrome covers between the cylinders and see if you have any seepage around the carb bodies or float bowls.

Are you talking about rich exhaust emissions or fuel smell around the carbs? Or both?

All of mine start without the choke-How about a set of cops for yours?
If you can prove that no-choke-required instant starting is a direct result of using COPS - and no other mods or adjustments - I'll certainly invest in a set, and probably many other owners would as well!

Oh wait. I forgot you live in warm-all-year California. Reckon I was having a "senior":confused2: moment.
Just scratch the above comments, Blax.
Cheers!:punk:
p.s. - if the exchange rate ever improves, I'll still buy a set. But I'm not going to be removing the choke!

I think that probably was due to the oil rather than the gas. I really-liked the smell of bean oil. Then when the synthetics became popular, oils like Klotz and Yamalube seemed to each have an individual 'aroma,' or odor if you considered it to be annoying. The two-strokes on the road would regularly embarrass the four-strokes, and leave them behind in a lingering blue-haze to add insult to 'injured' pride.

When I was living in NY and attending the Formula 1 races at Watkins Glen (1960's), watching people like Jim Clark, Graham Hill, John Surtees, Dan Gurney, and Jack Brabham, it seemed they all used bean oil. After a string of cars passed where you were viewing, and as the noise of the different engine configurations receded, if you were downwind, the sweet aroma of that bean oil would come across the swale, and remind you that "men were racing serious cars."

I just mean that it's gassy, no oil smell at all. I just remember two-strokes always being so smelly that your eyes water lol. That's how it was when I was syncing the carbs, had to take a step out of the garage, even with the bike near the door.

If you can prove that no-choke-required instant starting is a direct result of using COPS - and no other mods or adjustments - I'll certainly invest in a set, and probably many other owners would as well!

Oh wait. I forgot you live in warm-all-year California. Reckon I was having a "senior":confused2: moment.
p.s. - if the exchange rate ever improves, I'll still buy a set. But I'm not going to be removing the choke!
I never said it was a direct result but if you read the comments most say quicker starts and quicker hot starts too. I'm not going to try to convince someone and certainly not going to sell anything to Nubicon. You my friend can have a set for 1/2 price when you get ready.

Easiest thing to start with is your statement: "V-Boost always on (unplugged in open position)"
Set it back to stock and see if that reduces the odors.

Also check to see if you have a stuck carb float. Pull the chrome covers between the cylinders and see if you have any seepage around the carb bodies or float bowls.

Are you talking about rich exhaust emissions or fuel smell around the carbs? Or both?

One thing to think about. With Vboost closed (at part throttle) it makes the bike leaner, because you now getting the air from 2 carbs. Ive got an A/F meter on the bike and Ive seen this. So with Vboost closed, the fuel smell should get worse, but the underlying problem, is running too rich with the main jets. That will make you too rich everywhere.

Like others have said, check the floats as well. You cant really jet for power until the floats are spot on.

I was always under the impression that if you dont ever have to use the choke to start the bike (especially first time of the day) that your too rich?:ummm:

EDIT*** Now i'm not talking about riding to the store, and getting off of it for 5 mins, and then restarting it. But if the bike is cold, and you dont need a choke, its too rich. Mine (because of the muscle jet kit) needs a bit of a choke to get started. I have the A/F screws between 3.5 and 4 turns out. The A/F is 14.2-13.8 when its cold, and will drop to about 13.5-13.4 when its hot.

I was always under the impression that if you dont ever have to use the choke to start the bike (especially first time of the day) that your too rich?:ummm:
Not me. If you tune it right you don't need to choke it.My plugs are tan.Every bike I have starts without the choke but one and it is in the pic above.

I don't choke it and it is not too rich.

Not me. If you tune it right you don't need to choke it.My plugs are tan.Every bike I have starts without the choke but one and it is in the pic above.

Again, this is completely incorrect. But hey, what does Yamaha know about tuning?
Screenshot%2017.png

Screenshot%2018.png

Again, this is completely incorrect. But hey, what does Yamaha know about tuning?
Screenshot%2017.png

Screenshot%2018.png
Yeah and yamaha has a pro stock bike too.lmao.Some people can think outside the manual.
To each their own pal.Manuals---I did need no stinking Manual.:rofl_200:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back