Exhaust Upgrade?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zippo6

Reaction score
Ok, my exhaust is stock, although it looks as thought it's been drilled. I have a Stage 1 jet kit with a K&N filter. If I wanted to replace the stock cans but leave the stock headers, can I? Would this even be worth while?:bang head:

If so, what do you suggest?:ummm:

If not, what do you suggest?:ummm:

Thanks!

Ok, my exhaust is stock, although it looks as thought it's been drilled. I have a Stage 1 jet kit with a K&N filter. If I wanted to replace the stock cans but leave the stock headers, can I? Would this even be worth while?:bang head:

If so, what do you suggest?:ummm:

If not, what do you suggest?:ummm:

Thanks!

you won't relaly see any gains from slipons, but it won't cost u much either.

sean may have some supertrapp slipons he'd sell ya:whistlin::whistlin:, in my opinion, those are the best sounding, esp being adjustable.

if u want to go full system, prepare to spend money, b/c then u'll want to go morley or stage 7, and all said and done think $1000 - $1500.

Honestly, I'm only looking to improve the sound... I thought I liked the sound of my bike, but have only been able to listen to it while riding..... until last night. I loaned by bike to a friend of mine last week while his car was in the body shop (got broke into). He came over last night so we could go for a ride.... So I heard him pull up to my house, then also heard him head down the street after we got back (I sure missed my Max, happy he wanted to ride my wife's ZX6R!). Anywho, I need to change the exhaust sound...

most people like supertrapp for slip ons.

Yep, I know of a pair of black supertrapps that are being re-coated as we speak then heading overseas!

Of course I sell them new too and they are a popular option but don't make any extra power. I do still have a couple of used full systems and sell the Kerkers new. They do make power and a better sound in my opinion too.

Sean

While I hate the look of ST's I DO love the sound on the Max. They have the best sound for slip-ons IMO. You'll lose a bit of weight as well. The stock setup us HEAVY!

Chris

While I hate the look of ST's I DO love the sound on the Max. They have the best sound for slip-ons IMO. You'll lose a bit of weight as well. The stock setup us HEAVY!

Chris
Are you calling me fat? :rofl_200:

supposedly when u add disks/remove them u'll feel low end vs high end. not sure if htats true or only noticable on a dyno within a HP or two.

I'm swapped stock pipes out for Supertrapps and love the sound. I've done nothing else but put on straight bars, removed the "Y" on the airbox and of course added the fork brace.

The discs make a BIG difference when you start adjusting the counts. I'm getting performance from 8 discs per side. I started with 10 and it was super loud, but lost power due to lack of back pressure.

Now I'm running 7.5's in the 1/8 consistently with no jetting work. I plan to shim the needles a little to improve mixture. You have to decide if you want more lows, mids or highs when adjusting discs too.

If you watch eBay diligently enough, you may find a set for around $200-$250. I swapped a friend my sissy bar and luggage rack for his used set. New - you're looking at about $400 for the black ones (on eBay now), though I'm told they rust out after time. I believe that the stainless steel ones (what I have ) might be a bit more new. They get a little dirty or discolored from the heat, but a little Mother's polish, a beer and some time cleans them up nicely. Good luck!

Supertrapp SLIP ONS
822-41200 BLACK SLASH RTL$ 389.0000 YOUR COST $300
826-41200 STRAIGHT STAILESS SLIP ON RTL$ 497.0000 YOUR COST $400

Kerker Slip-ons for:
RTL$ 670.0000 YOUR $500

Full Headers:
128-41200 METRIC K-SERIES V-MAX 85-07 CHROME HEDPIPE RTL$ 1,027.0000 YOUR COST $750
129-41200 METRIC K-SERIES V-MAX 85-07 WHITE TIP RTL$994.0000 YOUR COST $700

Sean

Save up and buy a full system. You'll be happy you did... The Kerker 4-1 does make it so you can't use your center stand though.

Chris

6-3-09 074
I have a used set , 2500 miles , from my ' 98 . switched to black jet hot coated kerker , 4-1 header with carbon fiber can , courtesy of Sean & Rick Rash . Contact me via email for pic if interested.

You could do the stock exhaust mod by removing the end caps and drilling.....the cost is the best part--FREE. It sounds pretty good too IMO.

Latest posts

Back