First day out ,need some advice.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

piercew

Reaction score
Took my new to me 2003 out for a short jaunt(5 miles) today. The purpose was mainly to get the bike from interim storage to my garage.; but it did raise a couple questions.
#1 It started right up but there was a lot of snap, crackle, pop(no flames) and didn't want to idle. Once it got warmed up the idle was better but it did lug when taking off in first. It was better as I got home and idled in the drive way for about 20 minutes without incident. Throttle rolled on just fine, but there was still some complaints at roll off. My instincts are to just check the sync and put a couple of tanks of seafoamed gas through it before jumping into the peashooter/shotgun. Hoping to get out sometime this week(end) and get past second gear. Any thoughts?

#2 The previous owner installed stage 7s and a new exhaust(4 into 2) with HMF carbon fiber mufflers. The doesn't care for the sound, I'm undecided, the volume is a little on the loud side for me but not too bad; but the note is a little shrill as to get into the upper RPMs. Does anybody have a suggestion for a nice, mellow exhaust that isn't going to steal all the power. I've no intention of changing it out right away; I'm going to get the carb situation sorted out and put at least 500 miles on before I change anything.

Thanks for the advice.

The pea shooter routine only takes minutes to perform using an eyedropper. With a set of sync gauges on at the same time........easy peasy. Some sea foam in the tank too, is a fine idea.

After a few tanks with sea foam, run some marvel mystery oil in your fuel, I picked up a tip from a few hot rod guys that swear by it, and it has shown some great results in my Max and my dad's cb400, and my truck

PierceW. I would recommend Marks Exhaust for the sound you're looking for. He will make the cans as loud or as mellow as you want by varying the length and diameter of the discharge size.

After a few tanks with sea foam, run some marvel mystery oil in your fuel, I picked up a tip from a few hot rod guys that swear by it, and it has shown some great results in my Max and my dad's cb400, and my truck

+1 MMO is great stuff, use it in fuel or oil....it helps prevent tank rust and preserve top end performance. :punk:

prob between old gas and sitting its just working out the cobwebs....got mine running last night and did the spit fire thing for a min or so then cleans itself up......gonna ride it today.

bunch choices on exhaust but for sure cant go wrong with marks pipes....you wont regret it.

dan-o.......maybe lunch at exit 22 lol

prob between old gas and sitting its just working out the cobwebs....got mine running last night and did the spit fire thing for a min or so then cleans itself up......gonna ride it today.

bunch choices on exhaust but for sure cant go wrong with marks pipes....you wont regret it.

dan-o.......maybe lunch at exit 22 lol

I'm in Rov!! Think we better stick to exit 18 or 19 tho....nuttin' but bears n' bobcats at 22! :rofl_200:

Maybe 1400-ish? :ummm:

I better take bike for a little tour around here....frig I thought it was winter and didnt bring my riding jacket....but let me see lol maybe later this week....
oh ya 22 not good idea then bahah

My best guess would be the gas, as well. This is why I use StarTron religiously in my bike.
Especially important here in Maine where we have that E-10 garbage instead of a proper non-laced juice.

Seafoam and Marine Grade Sta-bil also work great for winter storage.

One thing I just thought of though. Could it be that the Stage 7 and exhaust have made it more cold blooded than normal?

Back