Float set, 28.5mm suggested so what would 30 mm act like?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the info sir I have but as you know Fuel level adjustment steps: Remove the carburetors. the needle valve.it is worn, replace it.it is fine, adjust float level by bending the float tang slightly. 28.5 mm seems like all carb float set' in the middle of carb body. All of mine when opened from PO is @ 30mm and more 33 and 34. why so lean I just didn't want to on and off these things if I'm not paid hourly to do it. No mention of what a 34 mm set will cause or why some one would set it that lean? Rite

I'm not certain because of the angle of the pics, but I think those are too rich, not too lean.

Use the 'flashlight angle', so we can see the 0 in the body of the carb casting and the float's relation to it. Do one for each pair of carbs.

Mr fire, they all were above the circle that is in the casting, some were up to 4 mm above. all buttoned up now and are just like the 28.5 mm set like in pic above. The bike ran darn good where they were set but then would have a hissey fit like a brat, then next ride ran great. Floats to high from valve which looks to me to be less fuel lean? Back together now and without little O rings on fuel mix screws, so will see tomorrow. Thanks all for your time I will say what it does.

Last edited:
Accomplished a bunch today, but in the wrong direction. Boost boots looked ragged so had to tear em off, checked the O-rings, all were adequate including the boots but not now!

Lowes sells VMAX BOOTS? All back together, started rite up with high idle, tried sync but won't respond to adjustment. I think I have a throttle link spring wrong on 3&4 carb. Lowes boots work great for 8 bucks and I have 4 nice S.S worm clamps for some other project. OEM clamps fit the bill.IMG_4650[1].jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4652[1].jpg
    IMG_4652[1].jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
?? over my paygrade.
I measure the air space between the top pf the float and top of the carb body. Factory spec is 15mm - 17mm. With the carb in the upright position, as it is when installed on the bike, the closer the float is to the top of the float chamber...the more fuel in the chamber....hence it becomes richer. Explained pretty well in the manual.

Mr fire, they all were above the circle that is in the casting, some were up to 4 mm above. all buttoned up now and are just like the 28.5 mm set like in pic above. The bike ran darn good where they were set but then would have a hissey fit like a brat, then next ride ran great. Floats to high from valve which looks to me to be less fuel lean? Back together now and without little O rings on fuel mix screws, so will see tomorrow. Thanks all for your time I will say what it does.
Why don't you have o rings on the mixture screws?

Why don't you have o rings on the mixture screws?
Thanks for asking and interest in my cluster! As I have removed and cleaned them they either got lost or just fell apart. They don't seem to matter that much I ordered a set from ghina still on the way. The carbs shown above by me and one showing the 128.5 mm ball park setting are upside down compared to installed so i guess wide open flow would be 15to17mm. If i can't get the sync proper I will be pulling them again so will check your measurement then. Thank You for taking the time to suggest or ask if there is a concern.

The carbs I just rebuilt had the entire bore for the air mix screw smothered in Silicone. I could imagine why the PO would do discuss a thing. Then I learned he didn't have the washers or o rings on the screws... Must have leaked and the obvious solution was silicone?

Back