Fork replacement upgrades?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vmaxwannabe

Reaction score
Hi. I have searched a lot on this forum and learned a lot. I tried progressive spring replacement. I am wondering if there is another Yamaha model forks that are a direct replacement and better. Or if there is another thread, please direct me to that and close this.

(22) Seals only or full rebuid? | Yamaha Star V-Max VMAX Motorcycle Discussion Forum (vmaxforum.net)

(22) Collectible? | Page 2 | Yamaha Star V-Max VMAX Motorcycle Discussion Forum (vmaxforum.net)

(22) Front fork air | Yamaha Star V-Max VMAX Motorcycle Discussion Forum (vmaxforum.net)

(22) Getting Bike Ready | Page 2 | Yamaha Star V-Max VMAX Motorcycle Discussion Forum (vmaxforum.net) YSS cartridge simulators

(22) Who has a front fork swap and how was it done | Yamaha Star V-Max VMAX Motorcycle Discussion Forum (vmaxforum.net)

Some reading for you. Many choices, ask questions after reading, if you have-'em. The stock forks can be successfully-modified with a few pieces to work considerably-better than stock (my experience, 27 years and multiple VMax'es). Others have different experiences and ideas, look it all-over and prioritize your choices.

My suggestion is trying an upside-down fork (USD) conversion, unless you're a machinist, isn't worth the $$$ outlay. This is a cruiser, not a 400 lbs. sportbike. If you must, spend the $$$ and gain bragging rights. Many guys on-here have done it.

I suggest sticking with the OEM-style base; I'd add the 'good-stuff' aftermarket bits & pieces, and save the several thousand dollars you're gonna shell-out for the USD purchase price towards a used VMax Gen II.

For my $, the #1 best mod for a Gen I to improve handling is to convert to radial tires. This requires a replacement aftermarket rear wheel, and two radial tires, you're looking-at $1,000 to get-there. An USD fork is probably more-like $3,000-4,000 buying some new, some used parts. Even-if you 'luck-into' a used USD fork from someone, their asking price is probably gonna be around $2K, I bet. And, it's a 'pig in a poke.'

Last edited:
It is the 600 Diversion wheel that is fitted but you will also need a different spindle and spacers.

The original question was regarding the front end: In addition to progressive springs there are two other things to do.
i) Fit Racetech Gold valve emulators and once done set the static sag.

That will give you a set-up that should be sufficient for all but the most discerning rider.

If you go down the Divvy rear route then a Thundercat front will give you 17" wheels at both ends.

Here is the route that I went for a cheaper route than swapping forks. Go to the racetech site, put in your body weight, and then go down 2 steps from the recommended spring rate. Also get Ricor Intiminators. Both of those changes make an amazing difference. From people that have made those changes, and then swapped the forks, The fork swap was only a little bit better than the racetechs, and the ricors.

Like MM said......set the sag. That has a LOT to do with comfort and suspension travel.

I never swapped out the forks but I did have a few friends who know how I ride and my weight , I ended up just using the Progressive springs to keep the front from bottoming out and the Rear had Works Street Tracker shocks for again my weight {fatass} the bike ended up handling great . 18" front wheel with a 17" rear the bike rode like it was on rails

Latest posts

Back