Vmax Fork Spring Preload

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phelics32

Reaction score
I bought a 2005 Vmax last year and am slowly attempting to restore it. It was not in bad shape to begin with but I don't know what maintenance, if any, was done to it. I am attempting to rebuild the forks, they are not leaking but I do notice a little seepage over time. I removed the cap to see if the fork springs were ever upgraded so I can upgrade to progressive springs if needed. When I reached the end of the cap threads the cap popped off with a lot of pressure and about 3" of the preload spacer popped up. I believe there is only supposed to be about 1". I discovered the springs were replaced with progressive springs. My question before I continue, What is the length of the progressive springs required for this bike? What is the proper preload?

Spring length - 15 1/4"
Spacer length - 9 5/8"

The 'proper' preloaded (aka static sag) will depend on how heavy a fully kitted rider is. Depending on which article you read it will be somewhere between 25 to 45 mm. The greater the sag the softer the ride.

Back