Fuel Light

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ost85vmax

Reaction score
I have a scenario for the pros here. I actually have a preety good grasp of electrical diagrams and such but am having issues. I am hoping I can mention them and hopefully someone has some insite.

First is that there has been chat on here, and a lot of verification I see from Sean that when starting the bike the oil and fuel light should illuminate as the start buttom is depressed. Well my bike, only the oil light comes on and the fuel light doesn't. What makes it difficult for me to understand is that the bulb (fuel) checks out good, and when you remove the bulb completely the fuel pump only will run in RES mode as its supposed to (thinking the low fuel sensor is tripped?). With the bulb in everything works fine (fuel position in the "on" position). The bike runs just perfect but I hate not having something function correctly. I am tempted to start siphoning out gas to see if the light ever goes on that way.

A little info is that the bike is an 85, the clutch and side stand relay have been bypassed by the PO. I actually would like the clutch switch to operate correctly but not real important as I am used to it now.

Thanks for any help or ideas.

My 85 fuel light doesn't come on when the key is turned on either, and I know it does work as I have ran it till the light comes on.

I spent a lot of time troubleshooting the circuit like you as I also read that it should have come on when the key is turned on, it might be just something with the 85's?

My 85 fuel light doesn't come on when the key is turned on either, and I know it does work as I have ran it till the light comes on.

I spent a lot of time troubleshooting the circuit like you as I also read that it should have come on when the key is turned on, it might be just something with the 85's?

actually it will come on when you are starting" engine cranking"....not when the key is on.

actually it will come on when you are starting" engine cranking"....not when the key is on.

Totally agree and a good way to check it out is to turn the key on but leave the off/run switch in the off position so the fuel pump doesnt run ect. Then you can push the start button (of course nothing happens) but the lights still come on. Either way when "starting" mine doesnt come on at all but the oil light works as normal.

Yeah mine doesn't come on when the start button is pushed either.

Sounds like things are fine then. Now ill drive it until shes empty ( or maybe siphon) and see if the light goes on.

Totally agree and a good way to check it out is to turn the key on but leave the off/run switch in the off position so the fuel pump doesnt run ect. Then you can push the start button (of course nothing happens) but the lights still come on. Either way when "starting" mine doesnt come on at all but the oil light works as normal.

Although I have an 05 I got my ass out of my chair and went out to the garage in my underwear to check this, yeah I know TMI. In neutral when I turn my key on the only light that came on was my neutral light. I turned my '' run '' button to off and hit the start button and just my neutral light stayed on. I turned my run button back on and hit start and my oil and fuel light came on while cranking but the neutral light was gone until it starts.... If you can get your fuel light to Illuminate in any test you should be ok.

Yeah to test my 85 I just disconnected the the connector behind the side cover that goes from the fuel sending unit to the fuel light circuit and shorted the end that goes to the circuit (no the one that goes to the sending unit in the tank), turned the key on and watched the light turn on and the fuel pump kicked out until I hit the reserve switch, this would test the entire circuit minus the sending unit.

Although I have an 05 I got my ass out of my chair and went out to the garage in my underwear to check this, yeah I know TMI. In neutral when I turn my key on the only light that came on was my neutral light. I turned my '' run '' button to off and hit the start button and just my neutral light stayed on. I turned my run button back on and hit start and my oil and fuel light came on while cranking but the neutral light was gone until it starts.... If you can get your fuel light to Illuminate in any test you should be ok.
only in yer underwear:rofl_200::rofl_200:

Yeah to test my 85 I just disconnected the the connector behind the side cover that goes from the fuel sending unit to the fuel light circuit and shorted the end that goes to the circuit (no the one that goes to the sending unit in the tank), turned the key on and watched the light turn on and the fuel pump kicked out until I hit the reserve switch, this would test the entire circuit minus the sending unit.

Nice ill try that! Thanks.

Latest posts

Back