• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to VMAX Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Gauging interest...89 with 81k

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kcoop99

Reaction score
I know winter is not the best time to sell a bike so I wanted to come here and ask all of you (experts) what you feel would be a fair price for a high mileage '89. I bought the bike from Mark (the carb guy) and we have kept in touch as he lives only about 30 miles away from me. He has helped me a lot over the years with questions and has helped with valve clearances when I had the motor out to paint a few years ago. Here are some of the upgrades done

Custom paint (USA! USA!)
Custom Maxgasser seat
4 brush starter upgrade (ABSOLUTELY NO STARTING ISSUES)
Upgraded front brakes (Mark did that so he knows more about it)
CBR taillight upgrade
COP's
Drag Bar
Bar End Mirrors
Lots of chrome
Headlight upgrade (had to cut rear of housing to fit but it works and looks great)
Removed motor from bike 2 years ago, soda blasted it and painted it with Eastwoods high temp paint. Looks the same as the day I painted it.
IMG_2752.jpgIMG_2753.jpgIMG_2755.jpgIMG_2756.jpgIMG_2757.jpg

There are no shifting issues whatsoever.

I'm sure there are other things I missed.

Again, just trying to get a sense of what is fair. Is $3000 too much? Too low? What's too much? What's too low?
Would love to sell it to one of you as that is how I bought it and have kept it in the "family".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Only 81,000 miles? Shoot, that bikes hardly broke in.. If it had the proper maintainence and wasn't beat to hell its got tens of thousands of miles left in it..

Man I forget...they are little wedge LED's. I think I got them from superbrightleds.com

Only 81,000 miles? Shoot, that bikes hardly broke in.. If it had the proper maintainence and wasn't beat to hell its got tens of thousands of miles left in it..

Thanks Bill! It hasn't been beat to hell! To be honest, I never got the damn thing over 100 mph!! :bang head:

81k is nothing on a well maintained Vmax and most of these miles are from members on this forum. I believe we dynoed it back with 60k or so miles and it was in the 130's rwhp and i'm sure still climbing. This will be a good bike for someone.

I feel like it'll more than likely have to be sold to a member on this forum to get what you want out of it. As long as they are maintained, the more miles on them the better these engines run. The issue with selling it on Craigslist and things like that is that people don't know enough about them and all they see is a 30 year old bike with over 80k miles. Probably get a lot of junk trade offers and lowball offers, but I don't think $3000 is a wildly unreasonable number by any means. I know I'd rather own an 81k miles bikes owned by people who took care of it than a 40k that was ridden hard and put away wet.

If anyone reading this would want it for $2800 I'd let it go before spring.

That's a good deal for someone at $2800. Actually, it's a steal. That bike is tastefully moded, 6 pot calipers, Marks exhaust & comfortable seat. And clean. It sounds like you babied her too. Somebody buy it, there is over $2k in upgrades and chrome.

Here’s what it used to look like when I owned her.

Mark

ee8ab71bc9ffbca0f6e2bd0febcdcc24.jpg

Here’s what it used to look like when I owned her.

Mark

ee8ab71bc9ffbca0f6e2bd0febcdcc24.jpg

That brought a tear to my eye Mark! I think I am going to part it out. I think I'd rather it live on in pieces!

Back