Gen 2 vs Sport bikes the war continues.....

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So a Gen 2 Busa vs Gen 2 Vmax, same exhaust mods and good fuel map, same weight riders and equal skill level. Who might be the fastest in the 1/8 and 1/4 mile?

rick52

Probably about the same with the slight edge going to the Busa, this is just based off of what I've seen at the track... A new 14 will knock both of their dicks in the dirt though...

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Quite a few guys on the Busa board with ALL stock Gen 2 Busa's running 9.50's and they aren't racers.I am not saying stock motor with pipes, a tune and being lowered. I am saying they bought them on Friday, went to the dragstrip on Saturday and ran their first times in the 9.50's. A good handful of guys running low 9's to 9 flat with a lowering kit and clutch mod and several guys running high 8's with a pipe, pc3 and clutch and lowering kit.

So honestly without a doubt, on average you will find that an average Gen 2 Busa vs a Gen 2 Vmax with the same mods, same skilled riders the Busa will eat up a Gen 2 Vmax from start to finish.

One of the guys on the busa Forums Gen 2.

"Went an 8.81@155 on Fiends gen 2. Stock motor, Ti winder, pcv, brocks clutch mod, geared, sitting at 64.5 inches.

OP keep practicing man, with seat time you'll get much faster. Gen 2's are beasts! Once you figure out how to get out of the hole and get wide open quick the times will drop! "

97885d1355180470-stock-gen-2-1-4-mile-times-imageuploadedbytapatalk1355180470.556587.jpg

Here is Jay Pee Wee Gleasons 9.51 run on a piped, reflashed computer, lowered and running a slick. Plus a few other things that weren't mentioned. But this bike was dyno tuned by Jon Cornell from what I hear.

starvmax.jay.gleason.best.timeslip.jpg

Unleash another Beast.... the ZX14.....

60' = 1.54
330' = 3.989
1/8 = 5.989
mph = 122.99
1000' = 7.729
1/4 = 9.215
mph 154.03

Erica and I went to No Problem Raceway last night so she could take advantage of the cool front in hopes of putting down a good number with the ZX14. My assumptions were right about the weather as she put down two great back-to-back passes... a 9.215 and a 9.218 which now stand as her personal best and the quickest the bike has ever been.

Still footshifting, stock arm, ZERO Motor Work, 2" ground clearance, the bike only has the basic bolts, an Out Of This World Tune and many important little tweeks that all add up in the end. She does pretty good for a teenager and only riding for about 1 year.

60387d1285851883-ericas-best-stock-wb-zx14-dsc00431.jpg

But get these any bike out on the street in Mr. Benchracers throttle hand and you could see a Gen 1 Vmax smash a new Gen 2 Vmax , or a ZX14 getting owned by a Gen 2 Vmax.

Todd

168 on the left was a modded Gen II , 169 on the right was me , first time at the track in 14 years , first time with the Gen II. Mark (itgoes) was there , If I couldn't do it. I wouldn't say I could. based on my weight and the fact that this was the first time in 14 years and first time with this bike I really think I could run sub 10's with a few trips to the track. As for the sport bike side of it I came up on a busa and an r6 this past week end in some twisties , dogged them for a while and they wouldn't play . I'm not saying i'm the best rider out there but I can hold my own, and haven't met a sport bike guy yet that was willing to play. maybe I just live in the wrong part of the country?

Not picking a bone... but it could be that they don't want to "waste" their time in their eyes on a cruiser bike.

What I am saying is I used to have clowns in new 1998 Corvettes want to race my 10 second TA on the street. I would pick and choose my battles because you will get caught and you will be busted big time with a huge fine and possibly jail time.

So for me anything that I didn't feel like it was worth it I didn't run. I wasn't there watching you run with those sport bikes, so I am just throwing out my "other" side of the coin possibility.

Which holds true on the turbo bike. That bike is capable of tire spinning down the track in every gear and running 9's doing it, I did it with the slick on back still spinning. It will do that on the street as well. So even if I make a crappy run on the bike I am running a 10.00 on it at 145 mph or better. The first couple times out I looked for people to race me. But after I "raced" a few people I realized it was stupid because there is nothing around except another similar type bike or a full blown race car that is going to hang with me. So to be 100% honest, its almost no fun to a degree to run the turbo bike on the street and try and play with people. Its just too damn fast. But I ll still do it .... :biglaugh:

This is the first bike I have ever owned that I can't top it out because I run out of room before I can get into 6th gear and feel safe doing it. I have never pinned the throttle in 6th gear yet. You simply can't unless you can safely go over 200 mph on that road. And so far I haven't felt safe on the public road to go over 200 mph yet. :confused2:

To really be honest, I really kind of miss my Vmax. It was slow enough but fast enough if that makes sense. It wasn't super fast, it was fast enough on the street to have fun. There was faster cars and bikes out there. But it was fast enough to have fun all the time and not fast enough to get you in trouble.

Todd

So a Gen 2 Busa vs Gen 2 Vmax, same exhaust mods and good fuel map, same weight riders and equal skill level. Who might be the fastest in the 1/8 and 1/4 mile?

rick52

I would vote the busa, it's lighter and more aerodynamic. Now if it were two naked bikes of identical weight, I'd go with the Gen II, due to its lower Tq and Hp RPM

To really be honest, I really kind of miss my Vmax. It was slow enough but fast enough if that makes sense. It wasn't super fast, it was fast enough on the street to have fun. There was faster cars and bikes out there. But it was fast enough to have fun all the time and not fast enough to get you in trouble.

Todd

This makes sense to me...My new to me Vmax and my other bike both make about the same power. Not insane power, but enough to beat 97% of the people out there on two wheels or four. At this point that is enough for me. I have no illusions of being THE quickest out there. Both bikes have enough get up and go, I back off before the bike does. Hell, I bought the Max for cruising with the wife, and to smack any of my relatives HDs around if they want a piece of it:punk:!

Here is Jay Pee Wee Gleasons 9.51 run on a piped, reflashed computer, lowered and running a slick. Plus a few other things that weren't mentioned. But this bike was dyno tuned by Jon Cornell from what I hear.

Not sure where that came from but it's kinda funny. Just goes to show how much BS is out there. Not that it matters.

rick52

You Rick, on whichever of those two bikes you choose to ride - cause you da best! We all know that. I've seen you ride like the wind on more than one occasion. :worthy:

Ok, my thoughts on all this...

If I am gonna race, I wanna do it on the track. No sense in getting my ass in jail or killed for shits n' giggles.

As for what I would probably run in the 1/4... probably not all that great. My bike is mostly stock, with the addition of a set of cans that actually rob me of a little power than stock on the very top end. That and no real experience in serious drag racing, I would get owned on the track by most anyone with a halfway decent machine and some experience.

This is not self-depreciation. This is simple fact. I chiefly need more time in the saddle, with some of that time spent at the strip doin runs.

Now, what could be done to make my bike run better in the 1/4? I do have one advantage already, being 130lbs at 5'4". But the bike itself... What could be done to turn a mostly stock bike into something that could break into the 10's?

1) chain drive conversion.
2) lighter wheels running some seriously sticky radials.
3) lighten the bike anywhere else possible.
4) SERIOUSLY rework the engine. (not only for more power, but to make it so it can regularly turn past 10.5k without dying)
(this includes a complete custom exhaust. I do NOT want to lose the Cobras)
5) most likely half a dozen other things I have missed.

And lets not forget LOTS of practice!!!

I am curious as to just how fast and quick a 1st Gen bike can be built to that still runs on 91 gas. Would it be possible to reach the 9's on street gas?

I am curious as to just how fast and quick a 1st Gen bike can be built to that still runs on 91 gas. Would it be possible to reach the 9's on street gas?

Absolutley possible (might need 93 octane though) but expensive. Several bikes built by PCW were/are capable of running in the 9's.

Probably about the same with the slight edge going to the Busa, this is just based off of what I've seen at the track... A new 14 will knock both of their dicks in the dirt though...

I would agree with that. It all depends on what mods they have and the state of tune. In general the VMax will be making more power but the Busa has a weight advantage. I went back to back on a dyno with a Busa that was piped and tuned by a very reputable Busa shop. My Max at the time only had a cat eliminator and stock mufflers with a power commander and tune I did myself. The Busa made 176 HP and my VMax made 184. With all the best bolt ons for the VMax most guys are making closer to 195. So again depending on the parts, the tune......and the weight and skill of the rider it could possibly be very close.....up to about 140 MPH.

I ran a high 11 with my vmax the first time at the track. I never ran at a track before that. after 30 passes i ran a 11.71 and i was well over 250lbs. Doing the math on my weight and hp i know i did good, that being said i also feel that the true race is with yourself. For me the race was all about 1st and second gear. If you can master that the rest falls in place. I started riding and drag racing in the back 40 on a mini-bike wen i was 9 years old. I have owened all kinds of dirt and street bikes/quads and i can tell you this for sure the reason i went to a track and did so well my first pass is because i like to wheelie anything that will pull the tire off the ground, Im not even close to being the best at wheelies but i am good at poping the tire up and riding it out for a little show and that in its self gives me an advantage at the line. I have pulled alot of wheelies in my time and because of that im not all worried about crashing when i launch. Well i do have to admit my first time down lapeere made me shit my pants but that was because i read the track all wrong and i spun hard in second and went all wild. My point is it dont matter who you are or how powerfull of a machine you have if you can pull up to the line and know what that power is going to do with you on it you can tame it to give you the best race YOU will ever run. GO pull some small wheelies and hit the track and race yourself you wont regret it. If you have a friend with the same bike bring them along. Even if he/she is faster because like i said the race with yourself is coming out of the hole and that friend will keep you on your game and push you to your best time.

Didn't the Beekeeper have a new 'Max many years-ago that ran well-into the 10's, stock, & w/a ~130+ mph trap speed? Or, was it someone else?

Bee would never let his tire get that much grip to pull that number. He's all about the smoke. :rofl_200:

Every gen 2 Busa I've seen run around here that's been stock (still lowered, strapped, and geared) has ran anywhere from 10.1-9.8's now these guys aren't pro riders by any means but they don't suck either and probably weighed about 200-220 in their gear. Stock gen 2 Vmax's I've seen run mainly 10.5-10.2 with about the same weight riders of the same skill level.. I don't go off of magazines or internet boards, this is what I've seen with my own two eyes.. Busa's and 14's are faster and with mods they are unreal but I don't want one because everyone has one and I like being different. If your just looking to race then a Vmax isn't the best platform to start with but I like to ride my bike too... I get anywhere from 39-44mpg and still run low 11's on motor and mid 10's (hopefully soon to be low 10's) on nitrous while weighing over 290lbs with my gear and I'm comfortable while doing it... I've got roughly $7500 into my bike including purchase price but I've done all the work myself except for paint. It's all in what you want to do with your bike, just know what you want to begin with and go that route...

Every gen 2 Busa I've seen run around here that's been stock (still lowered, strapped, and geared) has ran anywhere from 10.1-9.8's now these guys aren't pro riders by any means but they don't suck either and probably weighed about 200-220 in their gear. Stock gen 2 Vmax's I've seen run mainly 10.5-10.2 with about the same weight riders of the same skill level.. I don't go off of magazines or internet boards, this is what I've seen with my own two eyes.. Busa's and 14's are faster and with mods they are unreal but I don't want one because everyone has one and I like being different. If your just looking to race then a Vmax isn't the best platform to start with but I like to ride my bike too... I get anywhere from 39-44mpg and still run low 11's on motor and mid 10's (hopefully soon to be low 10's) on nitrous while weighing over 290lbs with my gear and I'm comfortable while doing it... I've got roughly $7500 into my bike including purchase price but I've done all the work myself except for paint. It's all in what you want to do with your bike, just know what you want to begin with and go that route...

Exactly....I agree 100%. Those other bikes don't appeal to me....tha's why I've always ended up on VMax's although I've owned other stuff as well.

And as far as I'm concerned there is no real "Gen 2 VS the Sportbikes War" because they are not even in the same category. The fact that you can even have a conversation comparing the 1/4 mile performance with some of these other bikes is amazing in itself IMO.
I've always said I enoy the ride to the track as much as the racing.......and when I ran a 9.87 I went down the track with the bike exactly as I rode it there (minus the mufflers) with a totally stock suspension and no strap. I will not sacrifice my every day enjoyment of the bike on the street to gain a couple of tenths at the track. But that's just me

Exactly....I agree 100%. Those other bikes don't appeal to me....tha's why I've always ended up on VMax's although I've owned other stuff as well.

And as far as I'm concerned there is no real "Gen 2 VS the Sportbikes War" because they are not even in the same category. The fact that you can even have a conversation comparing the 1/4 mile performance with some of these other bikes is amazing in itself IMO.
I've always said I enoy the ride to the track as much as the racing.......and when I ran a 9.87 I went down the track with the bike exactly as I rode it there (minus the mufflers) with a totally stock suspension and no strap. I will not sacrifice my every day enjoyment of the bike on the street to gain a couple of tenths at the track. But that's just me
+ 1 I like your way of thinking ! I will admit my bike is sucked down on the ground & is not much for cornering but it is how I ride it every day. I have had people trying to get me to strap my front end for a long time but I have not done it. I am going to this year though.I ran some 10.9's foot shifting with a Kosman rear wheel ( heavy) & stock front & then changed to Dymags & took some other weight off & added an air shifter & could not keep the front on the ground and ran like shit 10.96 with a 1.85 60 ft which sucks. I am a half ass rider far from professional but I do hope to get some 10.7' 10'8s off a stock motoe this year.

Not sure where that came from but it's kinda funny. Just goes to show how much BS is out there. Not that it matters.

If you like I can post the Starvmax website its on. Thats why I posted the time slip. I know its still hearsay I wasn't there. But I dont think Jay Gleason would be in public lying about what he ran on the bike or what was done to it.

But bottom line for me now as of next Tuesday, I ll be wondering what I could have run with the Turbo bike.

Its sold and the funds are being used to purchase a new shop machine.

My Vmax and my other Busa are also possibly sold. So my quest for an 8 second street bike will be on hold till at very earliest next year. But could be a couple years. We'll have to see. By then, who knows, you'll probably be able to buy a stock bike that runs 8's.

Hell maybe I ll be rich enough with the new machine to buy a jet bike......

If you like I can post the Starvmax website its on. Thats why I posted the time slip. I know its still hearsay I wasn't there. But I dont think Jay Gleason would be in public lying about what he ran on the bike or what was done to it.

But bottom line for me now as of next Tuesday, I ll be wondering what I could have run with the Turbo bike.

My Vmax and my other Busa are also possibly sold. So my quest for an 8 second street bike will be on hold till at very earliest next year. But could be a couple years. We'll have to see. By then, who knows, you'll probably be able to buy a stock bike that runs 8's.

Plenty of internally stock 8 second non turbo bikes out there right now so you might be able to run 8's quicker than you think. I used to want a pure drag bike until the busas & ZX 14's came out running the times they are now. I laugh now when I see 8 second bikes coming out with a starter cart & all that crap.

Plenty of internally stock 8 second non turbo bikes out there right now so you might be able to run 8's quicker than you think. I used to want a pure drag bike until the busas & ZX 14's came out running the times they are now. I laugh now when I see 8 second bikes coming out with a starter cart & all that crap.

Yeah there is a guy at the track on a drag bike and it runs 7.60 1/8 miles. Slick wheelie bar etc. I used to love to run him on the Vmax. Because I beat him all the time. He isn't super consistent also. But you know what, I am sure he doesn't care, because it seems like he has fun doing it.

Thats probably the biggest thing, if your having fun, then thats all that matters.

Post away.....I have the video. He ran 9.51 on a VMax that had a slip on pipe and a slick, stock height, no strap, foot shifting, no other mods and Jon Cornell was never within 1500 miles of the bike. It was his first time on the bike BTW. Launches on his tip toes. :biglaugh:

I also can point you to video of the 9.59 run on a completely stock bike with just a reflashed ECU and slick. All of this is common knowledge to a lot of the Gen 2 crowd.

I not sure the point you were trying to make......if you were doubting what I had posted or what.

Back