He is proud of it

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WOW! I'd be happy to get that for mine and mine is WAY more modded and has only slightly more miles.

Chris

LOL... I thought this line was funny - Super rare bike. ---

It would be "Super Rare" if it was a 2008!! :biglaugh:
Nice looking bike 'cept for the blueing on the front pipes, and most likely the rears too.

I am curious as to what makes them turn blue.
Grant

It depends on the type of metal and the quality of the chrome, but in a nutshell its the heat from the exhaust.

This was taken from a hot rod site:

Every exhaust system has a resonant frequency. At this (unknown) frequency the pressure waves tend to pack (or compress) somewhere in your exhaust.

At this location the heat is much greater causing your headers to blue there first, then the blue fades as the compression expands and the temperature drops.

The resonant point on my headers is 9 inches in from the end of the collectors at approximately 4700 RPM(with the extensions & mufflers on.) Now, you can move this resonant frequency and resonant position. In other words... you can "TUNE" your exhaust system.

A "TUNED" exhaust system can give you up to 50 extra horsepower, which otherwise would be lost! So you are now thinking... how do I do this? If you want to keep the "traditional" T Bucket look, with those dirt track style headers, you will never see 100% efficency on the exhaust.

(But who needs it) Your current exhaust is reasonably effective from idle to around 5000 RPM then falls off like a rock. But by this time, you are really flying down the road! Now if you WANT that extra 50+ horsepower, you need to know something about your current exhaust system.

Looking closer at the pictures there is a pretty good shot of a portion of the rear pipe. It dosn't appear to be blued. Looks like the puppy has some lean issues.

Looking closer at the pictures there is a pretty good shot of a portion of the rear pipe. It dosn't appear to be blued. Looks like the puppy has some lean issues.

Someone may have been fiddleing & diddleing with the carbs, do those look like stock brass caps in the A/F screw holes? :confused2:

Mine blued and my bike ran perfect, never had any overheating/cooling issues. Until I did some mods, thats a different story.

I never felt the need for a fan switch because my bike never went into the red on the gauge. Even in the humid 90 degree heat in traffic.

I ran my bike on the dyno before doing mods and the A/F ratio was real close, not perfect, but deffinitely acceptable, i forget what the numbers are exactly.

Point is, i never had any mechanical issues and my pipes blued and so have the pipes on other maxers that I know and Harleys of course.

I guess i dont see it as being odd. There is a lot of heat generated

More heat than the chrome can handle. But v max pipes are double walled to prevent that, so this seems a little odd. I think it's unusual to see stock pipes blued like that. :confused2:

its a nice clean vmax. nowhere near worth $10k. altho that sissybar/luggage may be worth 10% of that price in a few years... hahh

Mine blued and my bike ran perfect, never had any overheating/cooling issues. Until I did some mods, thats a different story.

I never felt the need for a fan switch because my bike never went into the red on the gauge. Even in the humid 90 degree heat in traffic.

I ran my bike on the dyno before doing mods and the A/F ratio was real close, not perfect, but deffinitely acceptable, i forget what the numbers are exactly.

Point is, i never had any mechanical issues and my pipes blued and so have the pipes on other maxers that I know and Harleys of course.

I guess i dont see it as being odd. There is a lot of heat generated

Prolly the wrong choice of words, MN-sorry. Should have said odd to me as I haven't noticed it on many max's. Then again, I don't see many max's outside of pics on this forum.

And yes, there is a lot of heat generated!! I laid the back of my wrist on a front header!! :bang head:

The pipe was ok but the air was blue I'll tell ya! :biglaugh:

Looks clean, but you can probably still find some left over, new 2007s on the floor for less than that. I also find it odd that the front pipes blued THAT much with only 2200 miles. I have not seen many stock exhausts on V-Maxs but the few that I have seen have alot more mileage and a lot less bluing. Looks like the A/F plugs are still in, I wonder if he ever overheated it.

I HAVE THE EXACT SAME BIKE STOCK ! 4,600 MILES THE ONLY THING BLUE ON IT ARE MY BALLS !:rofl_200:"LOL"

THERES WAS A THREAD OR A POST ON HERE A WEEK AGO OR SO ABOUT A GUYS RIGHT FRONT PIPE BLUING !:confused2:

Those front pipes look bad for 2000 miles - definitely a lean condition - my Kerker (single wall chrome pipes) looked a little worse but have over 80,000 mile on them.

Mike

I've had 2 Maxes and neither blued. I did readjust the air screws to get rid of the lean EPA settings. Maybe later models are adjusted even leaner from the factory. Have EPA laws changed recently? Double wall pipes shouldn't blue. Definitely too lean.

Back