Hi folks! CB1000 problem

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elimax

Reaction score
I know I've been "out of the loop" for a while...please forgive me! Now, this question isn't regarding our beloved Max, but...

I recently acquired a 1994 Honda CB1000 (known as "The Big One") and I've run into an interesting carb problem. Now, let me preface this by saying that I did have the carbs professionally cleaned first.

So, the issue is, once I start the bike, with CHOKE fully on, the idle speed varies widely, all by itself...it goes up to 2500 rpm, then down to 1000, then up to 1250, then back down, etc etc. with no predictable pattern, until the bike is warmed up and I turn choke OFF to let the idle settle at 1000 rpm.

Why would the bike be doing this? Any suggestions how to address it? (Please note that the CB1000 forum I'm part of really lacks the wondrous knowledge that you folks have, and that's why I ask here!)

Thank you thank you!

Elimax

Sorry. Nothing here. My knowledge of the infamous CB1000 is the sum total of one test ride clear back in 1978. I didn't like the bike, and instead, went down to a Yamaha shop and ordered a 1979 XS1100.

From what you describe, I'd have to 'guess' there's an air leak going on some place though. Hard to believe a CB1000 specific forum wouldn't have better answers to offer.

Actually, it's not from the first generation CB1000s...the first run was in the late '70s - early '80s, then they were reintroduced in the '90s (mine is a '94), and they have been reintroduced AGAIN a year or two ago.

I wonder if my generation is also infamous?

Elimax

Sounds like a vacuum leak in the choke or enricher assemblies?

Thanks, Sean.

What do you think is the best way to check? Should I spray carb cleaner in suspect areas and see if I get a rev rise?

Elimax

Shows how much I know about the Honda line of bikes over the years. I thought they only had the one run of the 6 cylinder cbx1000's and called it quits on them. Are the other production runs 6 cylinder bikes as well?

Latest posts

Back