How many shims?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rarick123

Reaction score
I'm to the point in my engine rebuild where it's time to put the output shaft into the back of the engine block. Since this bike was underwater, the original shims rusted completely together, and I have no way of knowing how many or what size the originals were. My local shop doesn't stock these things, so can anyone give me a ballpark number on what I should order? They're not terribly expensive, so if I have to order a couple of extra, it's no big deal. I just don't want to order 10 if I'm only gonna need 2. :biglaugh:

I'm to the point in my engine rebuild where it's time to put the output shaft into the back of the engine block. Since this bike was underwater, the original shims rusted completely together, and I have no way of knowing how many or what size the originals were. My local shop doesn't stock these things, so can anyone give me a ballpark number on what I should order? They're not terribly expensive, so if I have to order a couple of extra, it's no big deal. I just don't want to order 10 if I'm only gonna need 2. :biglaugh:

Mostly there are 2 shims but not necesserly.

Manual shows how You need to calculate shims thickness - as for the shim under big middle drive gear bearing.
Basicly You need to read the number stamped on the block and number stamped on the middle gear.
Piece a cake, just look into manual.

As for the shims for yoke, you need to mesure the teeths clearance and then select the specific shim/s.
You gonna need the clock guage.

They vary in thickness. Try to measure the thickness in an area that the metal is intact. Then get that same thickness either in one or with two shims.

Sean

Latest posts

Back