I have to wonder,,,

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

99 MAX

Reaction score
Why did it take so long for many of us who have been riding for years and have had dozens of bikes to finally get a VMax? Me for one, I've admired them since they first came out, did I forget about them every time I wanted a new bike, I might contribute it to "out of site, out of mind" as there really aren't that many out there but every time you see one you go," WOW there goes a VMax," I think if you really want one, you have to go find it, they weren't big sellers for Yamaha, rarely do you see one sitting at a dealer and they aren't for everybody but no bike is and in a way I kind of like that, the rareness of the Max is part of the cool factor and so many don't know what it is, "a V what?" then they break out the camera phones.

I know what you mean. I've had mine about 12 years now and I like it more every time I ride it. There is no bike like it. The first time I heard one with an exhaust was at a cruise night in 1990. The guy fired it up and I was standing right behind the bike drinking coffee. The thing just barked and when he took off and cranked it up the turnpike I was like HOLY SHIT that thing is awesome. I knew i'd have one at some point :biglaugh:

For myself i found that my gsxr 750 was a BITCH to ride more than 50 miles without getting bar buzz in the wrists so i wanted something cool and had some power and something that i could make my own i had to realize that i was not in my 20s anymore,lol so i opened the door to the Mod Monkey and got my 1st vmax im now on my 2nd vmax. But i must say its not the bike that kept me here its the friends ive met along the way that kept me here.

I had a few dirt bikes in high school and college, wasn't ever very serous about them though. The parents forbade street bikes and I never had one till after college.
I REALLY liked the late 70's-early 80's honda stuff, like The CB's etc....And the Kaw Z's from that same period, but really didn't know dick about bikes at all.

Just went looking at used bikes in different shops and saw a Honda V45 that I had to have, and bought it, and loved it.
From there moved on two a couple of different V65's over the next 10-12 years...:punk:plus an 1100 Virago :ummm:

After that I didn't ride at all for many years....

About 9-10 years ago decided I wanted another bike and started looking for another V65, found out there weren't very many, they were overpriced and had no part support to speak of to boot.....

I don't know how I missed it, I guess it was pre-internet days when I had the V65's, but I wasn't familiar with the Vmax, really wazn't on my radar.....during my search for a V65 I ran across a Vmax for the first time and just fell in love with it.........have never regretted not getting that third V65 even though I still think they're very cool bikes, they are no match for the Vmax in looks, Sound or Power.........

Had a couple dirt bikes too but like Rusty said I was never really that into it but from high school on I always loved the Vmax... Most of my years from 17 on was on muscle cars, my first car was a 68 Olds Cutlass and by the time I was 22 it had a cage and a 468 big block Olds in it and ran mid 11's... Lost the car in a garage fire (I seriously did cry) and bought another 68 Cutlass afterward.. Turned out to be a bigger project than I anticipated (still under construction) so I wanted something right now so I bought a friends GSXR1100 and I liked it, everything was polished and it could have been a show bike after I had it repainted. Back in 05 a little old lady ran a stop sign and t-boned me crushing my left ankle and foot, totaled the bike and didn't have much desire to ride after that so I kinda got into guns.. LOL Summer of 2010 I seen a yellow 94 Vmax for sale while I was working and figured I'd look at it, I stopped after work and took it for a test ride and I probably wasn't 1/4 down the road and I knew I was buying it!! LOL Rest is history, I love this bike :)

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

I too rode dirt bikes as a kid and had an old beater 2 cylinder Yamaha in high school.

My buddies had V65s, so when I went to buy my first brand new bike after high school, I bought a Max, so I would be quicker than my buddies.

Rode the heck out of that bike for a year, but wanted to go around corners fast too, so I went to sport bikes for years.

I just bought my 2nd V-Max last fall, I never stopped loving the Max. Got all that fast cornering and 200 MPH stuff out of my system and when the wife said we should get a cruiser, the Max was in my garage in a snap.

have never regretted not getting that third V65 even though I still think they're very cool bikes, they are no match for the Vmax in looks, Sound or Power.........

I know some guys on another V4 forum who would argue with you on that until time ended. Strange though, they never seem to turn up for the Hooligan Rides to prove us wrong. :confused2:

--------------------

Personally, my first bike was a Maxim X, and I loved that little inline 4 700. Fast, nimble, a good bike to learn on. After that I had a couple old 80's Viragos, a beat on VFR 750.

In the 90's I worked at a Honda/Yamaha/Suzuki dealer and fell in love with 2 bikes. The 3rd Gen Magna and the VMax.

After a dryspell of about 10 years with no bike I picked up a '95 Magna, rode it for a couple years, loved it.

smaller_zps33b3ea76.jpg

Kept the Magna for 2 years then came across my '94 VMax on craigslist, the owner wanted to trade it for a cruiser but not a slow one.

Bingo! :eusa_dance:

my 07 vmax was the best bike ive ever owned:punk:
the second best was my 85 v65 magna:punk:

id eat dog shit to have either one of them back:rofl_200:

there really aren't that many out there but every time you see one you go," WOW there goes a VMax,"
Yep, I see very few 1st jen's, even fewer 2nd jen's. Most of the motorcycle enthusiast's I talk to on the street never even heard of a Vmax. They look at my scoops and say.What kind of Yamaha is that. Are they new?:rofl_200:

I had a couple of Yamaha DT250 (bought new), YZ250 then a Honda 700 Sabre (bought new), saw a Vmax sitting in front of a post office and thought it was sweet but sold my Sabre, moved to Atlanta, GA and didn't want a bike with "all that traffic".
Fast forward 20 years and a coworker's Fiance' was selling a "bike" and when I finally found out it was a Vmax I remembered that first Vmax I had seem and it was all but sold. I didn't actually get to see it until maybe a couple months later but once I did I came back the next day with cash in hand. When I road it home I was taking it easy but thinking how lucky I was to own a Vmax. It's going on the seventh riding season and I still feel lucky to own this one of a kind motorcycle!:worthy:
There is one other Vmax around here (Almity) and I've ridden with Bruce a couple of times but he likes to hang with the slow cruisers group running the local pubs. I have only seen one other Vmax ride through (back in 2008) but I could not find him anywhere so he must of been at a cabin because I checked out all the campgrounds looking for him! I heard him coming up the road and I could only get a glimpse of him as he went by (black paint). I heard him ride by a couple days later but never saw him again, that bike sure sounded sweet.:punk:

I'd been riding 18 years before I got my VMax. I'd have gotten one sooner, but Yamaha hadn't gotten around to making them till 1985....

I was 17 in 85 when they came out & loved them from the first time I seen the commercial for one. I kept buying other used bikes. the Vmax's were pricey for me back then so I rode what i could get my hands on. My first street legal bike when I was 14 was an XL 100 then I got a 650 nighthawk & then moved on to a couple KZ's & numerous other bikes & then got into riding some touring bike but never forgot about the max. I finally sold my LAst wing & bought a Max . I love the Max & will always have one but I have to admit I miss my Goldwing & will have another.

I grew up on Dualsports and still love them but thats what I sold to buy the VMax, my thinking was I'd rather have the Max until I can afford another DS, there are so many places to explore around here that it's a crime not to own a street legal dirtbike.

I had a couple of Yamaha DT250 (bought new), YZ250 then a Honda 700 Sabre (bought new), saw a Vmax sitting in front of a post office and thought it was sweet but sold my Sabre, moved to Atlanta, GA and didn't want a bike with "all that traffic".
Fast forward 20 years and a coworker's Fiance' was selling a "bike" and when I finally found out it was a Vmax I remembered that first Vmax I had seem and it was all but sold. I didn't actually get to see it until maybe a couple months later but once I did I came back the next day with cash in hand. When I road it home I was taking it easy but thinking how lucky I was to own a Vmax. It's going on the seventh riding season and I still feel lucky to own this one of a kind motorcycle!:worthy:
There is one other Vmax around here (Almity) and I've ridden with Bruce a couple of times but he likes to hang with the slow cruisers group running the local pubs. I have only seen one other Vmax ride through (back in 2008) but I could not find him anywhere so he must of been at a cabin because I checked out all the campgrounds looking for him! I heard him coming up the road and I could only get a glimpse of him as he went by (black paint). I heard him ride by a couple days later but never saw him again, that bike sure sounded sweet.:punk:

2008 - Sault Michigan - black Vmax - I believe that may have been me!

I rode up one of the main streets of downtown Sault Michigan and a red Vmax went by me, I turned around at the first opportunity, but could not find the red Vmax again. I was riding through heading to Flint, Michigan for an overnight stay. I rode back through the next day heading back into Canada.

Mike

I had been drag bike racing for about 10 years. My "street" bike got all the good stuff from my race bike when better stuff came along. So I have a very vary fast street bike... with extended swing arm and little Ceriani forks.... and the riding position of a dragbike. So in '86 I bought a VMax as my "pit bike". I loved the low end pull the first ride I took. I bought my second one in '93. I was away from bikes for a while until last year when I took a '81 honda 650 from a neighbor and rebuilt it. Even after a new top end and getting it running like new, I just missed that grunt. So now I have a real nice stok '97... and don't have to have the fastest thing on wheels anymore... until I can afford a 1500...

I remember in mid 90's a bunch of guys from the neighboring town had Max's. They were cammed, exhaust, etc; and sounded awesome. At the time i was into dirt bikes and muscle cars, but said to myself - 'Someday I will have one!'

Spin forward 2012, and finally got my first Max. Now turning the new year I will add one more to my stable.

Yes, I have one MAD MONKEY on my back, and craves more HP and Torque! I love it! :punk:

(I have had many bikes, but not until I gotten the Max, have I seen so many heads turn, and gestures from bystanders to 'crank it up' and lettr rip!)

For me it was a mix on I've kinda like to own one, and opportunity.

Bike A and Bike B were no longer available. So Bike C on the floor was my '07 Vmax.

Back