I just can't get it out of my head..............

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulibiker

Reaction score
Due to certain circumstances I've been without a Vmax for about 3 years. I been riding a Honda 919 that I pick up cheap for the last few years but...............

I can't stop thinking about the Vmax. I know it was the most inpractical motorcycle that I've owned, but I smile everytime I think about it. I know that's a little wierd.

A couple of weekends ago I saw 3 or 4 Gen 1's riding together (maybe some guys from here) and that really got the juices flowing.

So my question is do I give up FI, lighter weight, & longer fuel range for a Vmax?

Uh, yes otherwise you wouldn't even be here if the choice wasn't already kicking in your skull trying to get out.

Sean

You have a sickness for which there is only one cure!.......................:biglaugh:....................Where ya from?.........................Tom.

Uh, yes otherwise you wouldn't even be here if the choice wasn't already kicking in your skull trying to get out.

Sean

+1 the choice is made in your head but you wanna here from us. GO ON. V-MAX IS AN UNCURED DISEACE.
IT WILL NEVER GO AWAY SO DO WHAT YOU WANT TO. BUY ONE AGAIN

Really? You ask a forum that is dedicated strictly to the Vmax and not to motorcycles in general, and is activley patroned by hardcore max-heads; whether or not you should get one? C'mon who are you kidding? You and all of us know you've already made up your mind. Submit to the guilty pleasure already and endulge. Hehehe

regards from my tapatalking android...

Not sure what it is about the Vmax, I guess I Know what "it" is I am just a terrible writer and can not put it into words. Gen 1 owners, all of us ride 25 year old technology and if not spend thousands of $ improving the bikes so they ride and handle like a modern motorcycles.
My "it"
There is nothing like VBOOST
They actually handle quite well
Great two up touring machines
Looks that kill, nothing else likem
Free counseling and support group
Did I mention VBOOST

Buy the vmax, ride them both, and then beware of the MOD MONKEY

You have a sickness for which there is only one cure!.......................:biglaugh:....................Where ya from?.........................Tom.

Ankeny, Iowa

Really? You ask a forum that is dedicated strictly to the Vmax and not to motorcycles in general, and is activley patroned by hardcore max-heads; whether or not you should get one? C'mon who are you kidding? You and all of us know you've already made up your mind. Submit to the guilty pleasure already and endulge. Hehehe

regards from my tapatalking android...

I was really close to starting a "WTT 919 FOR VMAX" thread......:eek:h yeah:

Hi Paul! I can only tell how I feel about V-Max compared to other bikes I used to own. After some Gilera - Ducati - Triumph period in my life I decided to buy a Harley. I felt that it was my kind of a bike and I was happy with it for years - I started to turn as rude as Harley folks are towards other bikers too. Then I came across with The V-Max 1985 and it totally got me. On my first test drive I knew that the old Harley felt like driving a Belarus tractor with bad Russian fuel and V-Max was like I had been seated at the controls of a combine harvester - loaded with Nitrous Oxygene!!! I really like heavy machinery and V-Max is just one of a kind in that league! Get back to business and be happy with number one :eclipsee_gold_cup:

Could be worse brother, ............................you could have a thing for FAT CHICKS!:rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200:. Buy a max and ride er hard!

All I can say is I have been riding for 53 years and the Max is the only bike I have bought twice. Wouldn't have sold the first one (my best friend now has it) except I had to quit riding a few years to take care of a family member requiring 24/7 care. After that was over, I got a new 1200 Bandit which was an excellent bike but just wasn't a Max. Wound up selling the Bandit and buying another Max. Will always have a Max even if I get other bikes.

The "max heads" around here probably won't like this, but in a modern scopethere are bikes out that that "do what the vmax does" and do it better. They're called nakeds or streetfighters.

A couple recent excellent examples are the Kaw Z1000 and the Honda CB1000. Both of those are faster out of the box than a gen 1, they get similar mileage, but have longer ranges. They will handle better than the Max could ever dream of. And they're free of Mr.Max's many quirks and issues. They're not cramped or "tough to live with" like a dedicated sportbike, yet offer sportbike stability and power, with engines re-tuned to be more useable "on the street". The Z1000 I rode had an absolutely tremendous motor, more power everywhere than my Max.....low end, midrange, and up top. You could lug it around in 6th at 1500rpm no problem.

Do I love my Vmax? You bet, and it's definitely got that head-turner, comment-getter, "weren't those banned"? looks from people. The v-boost is a hoot, no question. And while there's things faster, it' by no means slow....pretty much any cruiser is cannon fodder, and even 600 sportbikes as long as you keep the race quick. I've also spend far more time fixing it and pouring money into it than I think should be necessary, compared to other, older bikes I've owned that weren't maintained nearly as well.

It all depends on the value you put on image and legacy, both of which few, if any other bikes compete with the Vmax on, or prefer modern technology. Performance is all relative....when I first got on my Max from my 500cc Magna, it felt like an absolute rocketship. I demo'd a Z1000, whacked it on the highway, and if I thought the Vmax was peppy, this thing was like hitting warp drive when the RPMs passed 8 grand. When I got back on my Vmax, I still knew it was fast, but suddenly that "spark" was gone. It didn't feel as fast as it used to. I suppose it's that "never meet your heroes" thing....

Anyway, good luck with whatever you choose. To me, change is great....I'm constantly trading toys around, I never seem to hang onto any one thing for more than a couple years.

Yes, as technology improves, something designed when President Carter was in office seems quaint by comparison. Think of the 260/289/427 Shelby AC Cobra. As the cubic inches increased, they became less well-balanced and became harder to control. On the street, they pretty-much were the 'real deal' under all circumstances. Yes, you might build something which could beat a Cobra in one venue but for all-around performance, there just wasn't much that could compare, and for the price.

Now you can buy a kit car which has the style of the Cobra and superior performance across the range, from braking to handling, to acelleration. But when the gavel comes down at one of the big boys' car auctions, it's the AC Cobras, especially something with racing provenance that can generate seven-figure pricetags, and have rich grown men growling into their cellphones as they try to outbid each other to the limits of their bankrolls for 'the Real Deal.'

Now VMaxes are never going to generate pricetags in the stratosphere, and that's good for we VMax owners who want something fun to ride, without spending our children's college funds and don't we all appreciate the 'Bad Boy' status one provides? After all, I had to register mine with the local Chief of Police to get 'permission' to ride a deadly weapon on the street!

The VMax is the real deal if you were aware of motorcycles in the 1980's. As we age we revert to pursuing things we cherished in our youth, but couldn't afford. I've had my VMax for 18 years, and may still have it when I cannot safely ride any more. It's been 40 years of annual model changes since the first new motorcycle I bought, and it was a Yamaha. I still have it.

Maximus fugit!

Last edited:
I agree with Sean - you wouldn't be here unless you wanted validation on getting another VMAX.

It's been stated here and elsewhere that you could get a faster, better handling bike for less $$...but it's never going to be a VMAX. Most of us keep riding the VMAX because of the intangibles...

As an example - I live in Urbandale, IA and work in Ankeny. Over my lunch break earlier this week I heard a familiar sound, and looked up to see a VMAX speeding past. A normal person would have just let it go...but I had to catch up and get a closer look at the bike.

It's something that afflicts us all...

I bought my bike last year for $3000, I might have $5000 into it now but most all of that was from my choosing not because the bike needed it. I ride with everyone from Harley's to turbo Busa's but the funny thing is people always look at my bike over the others... I know my bikes limitations, I'll take down any cruiser out there except a gen 2 and I've beat up on my share of 600 sportbikes and still haven't came across a naked yet that has been able to come around me at the strip (all I'm really concerned with) but any 750 on up with someone who can ride will get me... The difference is, anyone can go and buy a Busa or a liter bike and have it be fast, that's nothing special..... If you have a fast old muscle bike, well that's another story ;-) kinda like asking yourself if you'd rather have a 2011 Camero SS or a 1969 ZL1 Camero? Choice is easy in my book....

I ride and own lots of different bikes. My garage is never without a VMax :)
Go ahead and find one and pull the trigger...you know you want to...and you will sleep better at night.

i AND WHERE ELSE CAN YOU FIND SUCH A STRONG , UNIQUE , BROTHERHOOD ? . :confused2: .:punk:

Attachments

• 100_1295.jpg
    100_1295.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 18
  • 100_1293.jpg
    100_1293.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 19
  • 100_1172.jpg
    100_1172.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 000_0234.jpg
    000_0234.jpg