I'd post more here, but I can't stop riding

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tfranklin

Reaction score
Or looking at it, or sitting on it, or messing with it. So I might be scarce, but I have benefited from all the wisdom you guys have shared. :biglaugh: And I appreciate it.

I have a few things to address on the bike. Ordered front brake pads today (EBC), ordered a new K&N air filter today,got spark plugs, oil & filter. Would love to buy new front rotors, but not yet. It's just money! I ride anywhere I don't have to carry anything bigger than my tail bag will hold and I really didn't intend to mod the hell out of it, so I'll eat a few sets of pads. I ride it like a sane person 95% of the time.

It's running rich - hope the new air filter helps with that, but the motor sounds tight as hell and it runs like a scalded dog. They guy I bought it from didn't know squat about it, he had it 3 months and said it was too much bike for him. Considering he told me he nearly flipped it in 2nd gear, I would say so. He did say it was Cobra exhaust and handed me a jet kit and a battery charger. I assume that means the battery is fried :bang head: Though I charged it thoroughly and it seems to be holding.

The front suspension has to be addressed. Airing the front tire properly helped tremendously with that though. More time and money, for now I avoid potholes and slow down over train tracks.

I don't have a ton of money or time to mod the bike. I have just wanted one since I first saw them in the 80s and always thought they were the baddest ass bike on the planet. I worked as a mechanic in an independent shop for 3 years under the owner, who went to AMA (fwiw he is still the best mechanic I know). I first saw one in his shop in 1986 and rode it. WOW. Can't believe it took me two divorces and three career changes to finally get one.

But it's mine now and I have a clear blue Texas title :biglaugh:

Thanks for letting me introduce myself and once again, thanks for sharing the wisdom. I hope to pay it back.
Travis

Man...You got it bad. Ive seen it before, even thought I was under the influence once or twice but YOU for sure have it BAD!

I'd invest in some holy water or a penny pinching woman or you're gonna be broke in the ditch with a fine ass bike in a few years.
I'm not aware of any support group either buddy, you're on your own. Sorry and welcome.

Welcome T, your story is a familiar one for numerous Max owners. If you think you like it now, wait til you get hooked up with an organized Max run. It is often there where one sees the unlimited variations of the Max under the influence of the Mod Monkey. I never met a snooty Vmax owner no matter how much they sunk into their bike. Enjoy it man, like a good whore, she was made to ride and ride hard!
And no Garrett, ride hard does NOT mean ride with a hard on...

Welcome TF . Glad to hear you are enjoying your Max. P.O. may have given you the battery charger 'cause he never checked the water level . It can be a P.I.T.A. to check 'cause of the location of the battery. Would suggest a sealed battery ( if you don't already have one ) . Ride baby ride. :punk:

Welcome, Travis! you're right, you won't find a better and more helpful batch than on here!

Yep, just wait until you meet up with some other Vmaxers. Then you'll be in trouble.

That furry lil' bastard Mod Monkey actually had the audacity to create an account here to bother us. Make sure you ignore any of his posts, he only wants to separate you from your cash.

The Odyssey PC680 is a popular battery choice, but it's kind of pricey at $120. On the other hand it's probably the last battery you'll ever need, they last virtually forever. There is a Panasonic alternative sealed that is around $50 people have had good luck with also.

You can get chinese rotors on ebay for cheap. I know several people here have them and had good things to say. Are your stock ones warped or otherwise damaged? A better upgrade is to swap to R1 calipers, for your bike they'll bolt right on and give much better brake power.

Cobra's exhaust sounds okay-ish to some, personally I think it sounds kind of "muddy", more "noise" than sound and probably my least favorite of all the exhausts I've heard. If you like the sound great, anything is better than the stock muffler a.k.a boat anchor. I like the Holeshots, sounds a lot like a big-block V8.

You can adjust the air in the front suspension. The little plastic chrome caps on top unscrew and there's a schrader valve under there. Add a bit of air if they're too soft. Switching to Progressive springs (and running no air) is a popular mod here as well that gives good results.

What jet kit did he give you? If it's a stage 1, don't bother with it. My bike came with a stage 1 and it was more hassle than it was worth by far to get it dialed in. Go to the jetting forum, there's a sticky that has all the different needles side by side, that should help you ID the kit if you don't know.

If nothing else...your V Max will give you more enjoyment than your Cowboys...:rofl_200:

Now that was mean! Yes, Cowboys suck... but I'll still watch.

I pulled the battery, it was nearly dry. Filled it up and put it on a trickle charger yesterday. It's just now getting cold, so we'll see. Fired off fine this morning. It's a Yuasa. I will look into the sealed options. I got brake pads (EBC), K&N air filter, plugs, oil and oil filter. It might solve the problem. If the dude I bought it from stood it straight up he might have gotten some gas in the oil?

I like the way the Cobra sounds, but I haven't heard anything else. I don't want really loud and it's not crazy loud. Sounds like one of those little Cosworth Vega engines to me. Purrs like a kitten and screams like a bitch. Hopefully a tuneup will solve the richness. It is a Cobra Stage 1 jet kit he gave me.

How much air can I put in the front forks? I'm thinking 5 pounds would be a lot.

Will check out the Chinese rotors, mine are grooved pretty hard. Not warped that I can tell but I haven't pulled them off. My mechanic mentor said run new pads and don't worry about it for what rotors cost (pads on there are nearly gone, thus the new pads for now). I think I'd rather have clean rotors and new, uprgraded calipers but I'll have to wait for that. I kinda like my front brake as I don't like to slow down until the last minute.

Back