Idenity theft

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tothemax93

Reaction score
This school is 15 minutes from me. A complete joke. They had a few community meetings. They didn't give the people of Lancaster or the students any say in the vote. School board voted 7-0 to change it. The community and students are pissed. Not that I matter, but I am to. They were the Redskins. An Indian warrior, prepared and ready for battle. They have been the redskins for over 70 years. School board elections are in may. Good chance they will all be replaced. The school board president told the protestors they were acting like children.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...dskins-are-no-more-at-least-in-lancaster-n-y/

My old high school team mascot was the Redskin. No mention of disrespect to American Indians was ever uttered. The school region- alized and the old redskin branding was forever gone. I prefer it went that route rather than by any political correctness bullshit it would have faced eventually. We've still got the memories and our Redskins year-book though. And our rings which honored the local Sowams tribe. Those can't ever be changed. Go Redskins!
punk0000.gif

Steve-o

The school kids held protests today. Had 300+ kids with sign. It was all peaceful. Had police, and all the local media. The kids organized it.

The town of Skowhegan, ME is considering changing their team name. They have been known as the Indians for way longer than I have been around. Also, Skowhegan is considering removing it's iconic statue, which it has recently spent a lot of money on refurbishing it.

What gets me is how before he died, the last surviving WWII Codetalker spoke out AGAINST all these claims that the usage of these Native American based names were racial slurs, and that he had ZERO issues with these towns, schools, and whatnot using them.

I grew up about 15 miles from a little town called Comanche....and their mascot was the Comanche Indian. The Comanche Nation met with the school board, and had some request. The Comanche nation didn't have an issue with the mascot...but they did say that if the town was gonna continue to have the Comanche Indian as a mascot....the headdress would look a particular way...and have certain color feathers in the headdress.

I thought that was very fair.

During one of the open meetings they brought in indians that said they were offended. On the other hand there were several indians there that supported the team and didn't mind the name. The big uproar was how it was a done. The meetings were just for show. A lot of people got no say. several of the people at the meeting were brought in, not residents of the town. In the end, The town had this decision shoved down there throat.

You wanna talk about name-changing, for the sake of "Political Correstness"?

Well, check this out. I'm still bummed out, even after five years.
The Bald Eagle, of course, is the U.S. national symbol, from the animal world. Up here in the Great White North, we long ago adopted a slightly less majestic, decidedly slower creature - the beaver. Maybe not so glamourous as it's avian counterpart, but hard working and purpose driven, and symbolic of Canada's early history of western expansion and fur-trading.
In my opinion, any organization, magazine, sports team, body part, etc., nick-named after this noble creature should be honoured to be so! But others didn't see it that way. Bummer!

Canada history magazine drops double-entendre name
Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:07pm EST WINNIPEG, Manitoba (Reuters) - Canada's second-oldest magazine, The Beaver, is changing its name because its unintended sexual connotation has caused the history journal to become snagged in Internet filters and has turned off potential readers.

The Beaver was founded in 1920 as a publication of the Hudson's Bay Company, then a fur trader and now a department store chain. It has long since become a broader magazine about Canadian history and will change its name to Canada's History with its April issue, editor-in-chief Mark Reid said on Tuesday.

When The Beaver started publication, the name evoked only Canada's thriving fur industry. Ninety years later, the fur trade has diminished and the magazine's name has become slang for female genitals.

Readers complained that Internet filters were blocking emails and newsletters from The Beaver, Reid said. The society also had concerns about attracting readers.

"Market research showed us that younger Canadians and women were very very unlikely to ever buy a magazine called The Beaver no matter what it's about," said Reid, adding he has mixed feelings about the name change. "For whatever reasons, they are turned off by the name."

Print subscriptions to the Winnipeg-based magazine, which publishes six issues a year, range between 45,000 and 50,000. It is published by Canada's National History Society.

Changing the name also makes sense because the fur trade, while an important part of early Canadian history, isn't meaningful to all Canadians today, especially as the population's makeup has changed through immigration, Reid said.

Readers have been generally understanding about the need for the change, he said.

(Reporting by Rod Nickel; editing by Rob Wilson)

Why isn't America called Columbusia?
I'm going to hold a meeting in my head and change it to honor Christopher Columbus instead of Amerigo Vespucci - I bet the Portuguese are angry because their nation never got credit for discovering "Columbusia"

Political correctness is tyranny with manners - Charlton Heston

Latest posts

Back