Identifying Stage 7 Parts

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pez_rz

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm trying to get to the bottom of some carb issues with my max. The PO drilled the baffles and reportedly fitted a stage7 kit, but I'm not convinced as vboost is there, mixture screw plugs installed, etc. The stage 7 breather and filters are installed.

I'm trying to determine exactly what bits have been installed. I believe the stg7 springs are shorter/lighter - any dimensions to check? Anyone know the diameter of the slide hole?

Do the needles have any markings I should look for?

I assume the jets should have the size stamped, which I can check against the parts list.

Is there anything else I should look for?

DJ jet #'s are different from Mikuni stock #'s. There are some threads about the needle configurations' differences. Pics are there for comparison. As I recall, the DJ needles are long & thin w/a smaller cross-section at the far end. You can go to the DJ website and I believe the installation instructions are avail. for download, and that should I think tell you the drill size for the slides.

I would look in the carb section and see the stickies, and then look for key words in an advanced search.

Here are some answers. 1st pic is the top of a stage 7 carb. You will see there at the 2 oclock position.....there is a small brass insert called an air corrector.

2nd pic is a stock spring vs stage 7.....and the stock spring is about 7 inches long.

3rd pic is a stage 7 needle vs a stock needle. The stage 7 has 5 slots to a clip.....and stock only has 1.

Hope that helps.

Attachments

• P1000234.jpg
    P1000234.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 88
  • P1000235.jpg
    P1000235.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 74
  • P1000238.jpg
    P1000238.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 82
Thanks for all the pics and info - exactly what I needed. Carbs are at another shed - will get pics on the weekend.

Hopefully will be able to chuck 'em in the ultrasonic cleaner and give a clean prior to stripping.

Hopefully will be able to chuck 'em in the ultrasonic cleaner and give a clean prior to stripping.
You have one of those also?
I did my carbs with the larger UltraSonic Cleaner from Harbor Freight. Even after shotgunning my carbs 4 times, there was so much crud that came off during the US Cleaning process.
I actually broke down the carbs prior to cleaning.. I wanted every part to get a fully unobstructed cleaning.
I also took the time to coat my fuel tank with the 3 step KBS Tank kit. Now my carbs looks like only clear water has been running through them.

Is the air corrector a option as i know from past installs on other Yamaha's it is a option..
The needle from the DJ look like all the other DJ kits .. i have used,,,FZ750, FZR1000 etc...
I never understood the step being so high and the needle so thin at the bottom..??
Are Morley's needle the same shape???..

It you are using POD filters....or Seans muscle jet kit.....ANYTHING that will allow in significantly more air, the air correctors are a MUST.

Those are stage 7 needles, if Sean sells stage 7 needles with his kit, thats what they will look like.

Some people run stage 7 needles with smaller mikuni jets (around the 150's).....OR stock needles, with significantly LARGER jets (about 165's and above)

We include the stg7 with the kit unless specifically requested to leave out (to cut cost a bit)

After a bit of a setback and getting two new bodies it's all back together! Thanks again for all the pointers. It has stg7 needles in 3rd clip from bottom, 152.5 mains, stg7 springs and air correctors... Looking forward to a good run once diaphragms arrive.

It's normal to run same jets front & rear cyls?

Back