Idle Mixture

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

godsend1

Reaction score
Mark,

When I checked the settings for the mixture screws I noticed that they all had about 1/2 a turn. These settings were where I set them when doing the ear tuning. My question is what would cause them to tune correctly at 1/2 a turn vice the normal 2-2.5 turns. I get a fuel smell in general and my milage is around 30mpg on the highway.

Would it be float level?

Thanks Tom

Tom, check your float level. Make sure no fuel leaks, cracked boots, fuel hoses, etc. Also check to see if one or more choke plungers are stuck.

Mark,

Can I check it on the bike? Also for the choke are you talking about the mechanical operation on the carb are the internals of the choke assembly?

Yes. For choke, I check the plunger on each carb.

I use a flashlight and small telescoping mirror to check around all the boots and carbs. I also remove the slide covers and see if fuel dribbles out. That usually means that a purge jet is plugged. In my experience I have the most problems with the purge jet behind the slide diaphragm.

I just had the slides out, no dribbling.

For the choke do you mean checking the external operation?

When you turn off choke make sure the choke plunger is all the way closed. I push on the plunger pin to make sure it's all the way in. Some times the choke forks bind them up so they don't close all the way. In that case I shim those over a tad.

Back