Idle

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grimmie

Reaction score
Not all the time but mostly in traffic the carbs act like they're loading up but when I pop the throttle it does not clear it up. Once you're moving again it runs fine. It doesn't do it at all when the engine is cold.

2000 model, bought used. I think the jets are stock.

Suggestions?

Not all the time but mostly in traffic the carbs act like they're loading up but when I pop the throttle it does not clear it up. Once you're moving again it runs fine. It doesn't do it at all when the engine is cold.

Suggestions?

First let me ask you what type of fuel are you running?
You may want to buy a can of seafoam.

I try to start with the simple things first and than go from there. Its common for alot to dig into a problem and induce new ones while they are trying to fix the orginal.

Suggestions?

Check to see if it starts running bad at the same time the fan turns on. If so, check the charging system and/or get new battery.

Joe

Suggestions?

I had this same problem last year.

Bike was fine when cold and fine on the street and highway when hot. This was in summer.

Once I got the bike in slow city traffic with lots of idle and low rpm work and it got real warm, it started to stumble. Get it moving along and the problem went away.

Felt like it was flooding at idle.

I pulled the plugs and they where fouling up.

Checked, cleaned and set each plug gap and then observed the spark by grounding the plug to the cylinder head.

Two leads were producing a weak spark.

Changed leads and the problem disappeared.

The cause was a set of leads that were not doing the job.

Did the same on friends V-max and the problem also disappeared.

An over rich pilot fuel supply at idle can do this as well. This can be caused by a blocked pilot air jet as already suggested in one of the replies above or (if they are accessible) the pilot fuel screw is backed out too far.

I had this same problem last year.

Bike was fine when cold and fine on the street and highway when hot. This was in summer.

Once I got the bike in slow city traffic with lots of idle and low rpm work and it got real warm, it started to stumble. Get it moving along and the problem went away.

Felt like it was flooding at idle.

I pulled the plugs and they where fouling up.

Checked, cleaned and set each plug gap and then observed the spark by grounding the plug to the cylinder head.

Two leads were producing a weak spark.

Changed leads and the problem disappeared.

The cause was a set of leads that were not doing the job.

Did the same on friends V-max and the problem also disappeared.

An over rich pilot fuel supply at idle can do this as well. This can be caused by a blocked pilot air jet as already suggested in one of the replies above or (if they are accessible) the pilot fuel screw is backed out too far.

Makes sense with the poor spark plug leads I had a bad plug wire one time but showed a different symptom it would miss every once in awhile at a cruising speed of around 60 MPH would just skip a beat once in awhile so if this is also happening I would look in the direction of a plug wire

Keep us posted

Latest posts

Back