Ignition box '85-'89

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

V85wick

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone know if I can upgrade an ignition system on my 85 vmax? This is the one I have looking at something new with Accel coils. I know it will work but may need to make a new bracket to hold then. Any advice? Thanks!

Attachments

• 20230827_205354.jpg
    20230827_205354.jpg
    344.3 KB · Views: 0
V85wick, I don't know exactly but if it is compatible to the bike and all you'd need to fab is mounts then why not. Mounts are easy to fab if you have the skills and equipment.

Anyone know if I can upgrade an ignition system on my 85 vmax? This is the one I have looking at something new with Accel coils. I know it will work but may need to make a new bracket to hold then. Any advice? Thanks!
Yellow label ICU's (1FK-10 / 1FK-82305-09-00 TID14-43 / 1FK-10 / 1FK-82305-10-00 fit 1984 1985 1986 1987 1988 1989) for twin p/u ignition systems so it should work with your bike and be a straight swap. It is not an upgrade but probably replacing like with like?

PS: Suggest you ask the Mods to move yours and associated posts to a new thread so not to hijack the OP's question.

Yes sorry, I seem to have a problem finding where and how to post without replying to a post, will figure it out. Thanks a bunch!
Go to the Forum Home or 'New posts' screens and a little way down on the right you will see the button 'New posts'.

The stock system is pretty robust though they are getting older. You can get Dyna 3000's, Ignitech's and a few others. I sell the Ignitech units. You can run them with stock coils (which are adequate for even the 1500cc dragbikes making 200+ hp) or with the Coil Over Plug conversions (which you can search about on this forum)

Sorry Mr V85wick, I misread your OP. Why do you want to 'upgrade' and what do you hope to achieve?
You don't say if the original unit is faulty.

The #1 reason to switch to an aftermarket ignition box, is to gain a rev-limiter. That will help prevent engine damage. If yours is working OK, no need to switch, unless you want the rev-limiter, or you plan on extensive engine mods where you can benefit from a different advance.

That said, I recall back in the days of the two-stroke twins, I think it was Cycle magazine, did an article on the RD350 and they used a pair of KMart ignition coils to get a hotter spark, and it worked. I think they were fastened to the frame downtubes, so not neatly hidden-away like the OEM placement, but still, an improvement. I think bronze swingarm bushings also was one of those things which made a difference in the RD's handling. The factory changed the frame geometry/design as the bike changed from the R5 to the RD350 and its newer variants, to resemble what they learned with the TD racebikes.

Last edited:
V85WICK I recently installed an ignitec from morleys muscle and it works very well. The carbs were already off so that made it easier, also while I had better access to the coils It seemed a good time to change the coil to plug wires, I used cooper core, so far as I can tell there is no interference. Forgot to ad that the v boost control module on my '86 was bad(icu also) also, A win win for me. Thanks Sean M.

Sean can answer any questions you may have during installation of the Ignitech. It can run your VBoost also, and if you have power-adders, it can run them too. The best part is, it has a rev-limiter also, saving your bike from over-revving, important for keeping your bike healthy, the conn rods don't like repeated over-revving, or same to excess even one time.

Back