Interesting thought..

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ethanol is the on of the biggest scams ever perpetrated on the American people. The corn we are being forced to burn in our cars was supposed to be fed to pigs and cattle, small time farmers can't afford to feed corn instead of selling. Oh, and you expend significantly more fuel that one gallon of fuel making a gallon's worth of ethanol. The only reason its economically feasible is because of the subsidies and tax breaks; which we are paying for too. Granted all my info is 15 - 20 years old, maybe something magically changed that makes it a good thing. All i know is it f----s up every engine I put it in. Except for my wife's POS Kia van, I swear it runs better on ethanol.

The Petron station out here sells ethanol free 100 octane. Is high octane bad for the VMAX?

The Petron station out here sells ethanol free 100 octane. Is high octane bad for the VMAX?

This question has come up before. There seems to be a myth that higher octane fuels provide better combustion, better performance, etc.
According to the articles that were linked to in the previous threads, higher octane fuel actually have a higher ignition point, are designed for high compression engines, and are actually only useful in lower compression engines that are experiencing pre-ignition conditions, which doesn't seem to be a problem with a stock Max.
The OEM recommendation for all year Gen 1's is regular fuel, with an octane rating of 87.
I believe using high octane fuel in a stock max is a waste of money. I trust Mother Yamaha to know what's best for my bike.
I only use high test when I lay up the bike for the winter, only because, in my province anyway, all high test is ethanol-free.
Cheers!

So which is the worst of two evils, running with 10% ethanol 91 octane or high octane 100 without ethanol? I dont have to lay up the bike for winter.

Hmmm that I dont know......the ethanol would clog up the carbs and passages, but the 100 might cost some HP and the possibility is there for carbon buildup.

Either one burns fine as long as you're burning it. Letting it sit in carbs is where it gets you. Save your money. We have ethanol free 91 here too but no one wants to pay .20 to .30 cents more a gallon to get it unless you are winterizing it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Back