Intimidators vs. Gold Emulators + Ohlins springs

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, you have the understanding of the function of the aftermarket valves. I used a straight rate spring so that the valve will work more efficiently over the stock or progressive spring which for one, the stock is way too soft for my weight and two, the progressive is counter productive to the valves. In my case the ricor's. I chose a mid length pre-load (15mm) and 10wt oil to see how it felt, if I wanted a change I could at this point cut or take out some pre-load or go to a lighter 5wt oil. 5wt is just the suggestion, its thin so it blows through the valve easily one direction and slows the return of the spring the other, dampening it. I wanted a sport bike feel so I used 10wt.
Ok ... gotchya ... but again, doesn't using 10wt nullify the valving in the Ricor puck? With 10wt you're still engaging the stock valves, aren't you? Or am I just totally missing something here?

And just curious here .... the Ricors aren't pumping up with 10wt?

What I mean (for those that don't understand what I mean) is that if you use too much rebound damping (with too thick oil or too heavy damping valves) the forks will compress and cycle ok, but when you hit some stutter bumps or several sections of railroad tracks the forks will compress down fine but before they have a chance to rebound the next bump hits. This makes the forks compress more and more until you are out of travel. The rebound valving is so heavy that it prevents the fork from extending before the next compression event occurs. The forks just keep compressing lower and lower until they are nearly (or totally) bottomed out, and won't have the opportunity to extend until the stutter bumps or railroad tracks are cleared.

I certainly don't have that problem, perhaps if you go beyond 10wt its would defeat the valve so much it wouldn't work. Im not saying its the perfect combo but so far I like it. I wouldn't go thicker. As it is now I get a really smooth ride over small bumps so its working, hard braking stacks the forks perfectly, for me. Its all up to how you want it to feel or perform. 10wt's pretty thin still.

Hey man, if it works for you .... we're done here!

And dat's da name a'dat toon!

:eusa_dance:

I'm late in the game here, but my experience: I had bought Progressive 440 rear and as a promo they gave me a set of front springs. I bought the Intimantors and just put it all together. 5W oil.
The chronic little low speed wobble? (around 40 mph if you take your hands off) COMPLETELY GONE.
Have been up to 120 so far - solid as a rock.
Bumps - GREAT
I'm very happy.

Gents,

I contacted Ricor and asked about a group discount on the Intiminators. The answer was a hesitant, yes.

PM me for more info, but in a nutshell they are willing to work out a deal for us.

I'll PM the guys that posted on this thread that they're interested. Anyone else, let me know ASAP.

Latest posts

Back