I've really screwed up!!!!!!!!!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I lost my only key for my 93 VMAX while riding this weekend ( It came out of the ignition, while riding). I bought this bike used and it had the owners manual, but the TOOL didn't put the key code info in the space provided. I pulled the ignition housing off the bike but to no avail..There was no key code there.. I then pulled the ignition switch, no code there as well.. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You'll probably need a smith. Yank the faux cover lock out of there and take it to someone that can help. (Mine doesn't have a helmet lock so I don't know if that's easier to access or not)
When I lost mine in a accident, I ended up picking the lid lock and cut a blank with a chainsaw file. No one wanted to sell the blanks, but I finally found someone that wanted $5 per. Rip off, but I needed blanks.
Good luck.

Should be a similar setup. The code gets faded and easily overlooked. Look for a very small sticker on the housing somewhere. Will be maybe 1/8" x 3/8" and has a 3 digit code. If you can't find it then take it off and to the smith (which I would do anyway). If they are worth a shit at all they will get it fixed up in no time.

Sean

Should be a similar setup. The code gets faded and easily overlooked. Look for a very small sticker on the housing somewhere. Will be maybe 1/8" x 3/8" and has a 3 digit code. If you can't find it then take it off and to the smith (which I would do anyway). If they are worth a shit at all they will get it fixed up in no time.

Sean

I can concur with this since I have this same problem with my '95. Pulled the ignition apart and there was a small sticker with the code failntly stamped upon it. Yamaha cut me a new key instantly then.

I lost min in a parking lot and didnt realize it fell out of my pocket until I got home. Went back, but fat chance finding it.

Is there way to get the seat off of the fazer without the key so we can get to the lock?

Been awhile but I think if you remove the side cover (pops on) you may be able to use a screwdriver to push the hinge mechanism and remove the seat.

Sean

I can concur with this since I have this same problem with my '95. Pulled the ignition apart and there was a small sticker with the code failntly stamped upon it. Yamaha cut me a new key instantly then.

I lost min in a parking lot and didnt realize it fell out of my pocket until I got home. Went back, but fat chance finding it.

While I was going to graduate school at the state university branch in Miami, I used to take my mcy to class because it was the closest place to legally-park to my building in which class was held.

We had an off-campus class (over two semesters) which was held in Doral (Miami suburb) at an office building which also held the Miami office of the D.E.A. There was some security around that place. It was an evening class, 6-10 p.m. and by the time we usually got out, the parking lot was pretty-empty.

I rode to class & locked-up my bike w/a kryptonite lock next to the building, and when I exited after class, I couldn't find my key! Lost! Everyone else had left by then, and my professor in Economics generously gave me a ride home, and early next morning, I went back and found my key about 10' from the bike, in the long grass on the way to the door. Sure am glad no-one else found it first!

So, I didn't have to get a key cut, and I did have a spare, but you always want to police your own brass, right, "Specialops13?"

Found a black sticker on my ignition housing (not the plastic cover) has the #F686113127 this doesn't sound, nor look like a key code..Any help would help in figuring out, what it is..Thanks.

So what's the moral of the story here, kids?

Make a copy of your key before you lose it.

Get it done at a locksmith though. My local Yam dealer sucks ass at making keys...it takes like 3 tries before I get one that worked, and then I had to fiddle the key in and out "just so" before it would turn. Chucked it, went to a locksmith, got one that worked perfectly. Cost me a whopping sum of $5.

So pry that wallet open remove FIVE WHOLE DOLLARS and get a copy made. Or hunt around for key codes, dealers that don't know what they're doing, or re-keying the bike.

Get it done at a locksmith though. My local Yam dealer sucks ass at making keys...it takes like 3 tries before I get one that worked, and then I had to fiddle the key in and out "just so" before it would turn. Chucked it, went to a locksmith, got one that worked perfectly. Cost me a whopping sum of $5.

So pry that wallet open remove FIVE WHOLE DOLLARS and get a copy made. Or hunt around for key codes, dealers that don't know what they're doing, or re-keying the bike.

I took the ignition to a locksmith today.. He made a key that works in the ignition, but won't even come close to opening the faux tank, gas cap or fork locks.

Yep, 1st thing I do when I buy something new is get 2 spare keys, they go into the key safe, labelled.

I took the ignition to a locksmith today.. He made a key that works in the ignition, but won't even come close to opening the faux tank, gas cap or fork locks.

Sounds like someone changed the ign in that bike before, one key SHOULD work everything. Try lubricating all of the locks real well, then try the key again. If all else fails take the lock(s) to a good local locksmith and tell him you need the locks IMPRESSIONED. that is making a key without changing any of the tumblers. But any Yamaha ign I've seen has a number/ letters stamped into the housing. But what the hell do I know I've only been a locksmith for 34 yrs. If anyone has lock issues let me know and I'm sure I can point you in the right direction at least. Ed:eusa_dance:

Sounds like someone changed the ign in that bike before, one key SHOULD work everything. Try lubricating all of the locks real well, then try the key again. If all else fails take the lock(s) to a good local locksmith and tell him you need the locks IMPRESSIONED. that is making a key without changing any of the tumblers. But any Yamaha ign I've seen has a number/ letters stamped into the housing. But what the hell do I know I've only been a locksmith for 34 yrs. If anyone has lock issues let me know and I'm sure I can point you in the right direction at least. Ed:eusa_dance:

Well the funny thing is, is the key that I did have worked in all 4 locks.
The new ignition key won't even begin to enter the slots of the other 3. Seems like it's almost too fat to fit. He had a Yamaha book for the key blank for the Vmax, but what it called for, wouldn't even fit into the ignition. I wish it had the #'s stamped into the housing, but this one didn't.

Well the funny thing is, is the key that I did have worked in all 4 locks.
The new ignition key won't even begin to enter the slots of the other 3. Seems like it's almost too fat to fit. He had a Yamaha book for the key blank for the Vmax, but what it called for, wouldn't even fit into the ignition. I wish it had the #'s stamped into the housing, but this one didn't.

Sounds to me like they cut it on the wrong blank there are some blanks that are" close enough" to fit in the other locks but they don't require the precise jetway that the ignitions do. Just take the key that works all the other locks and tell them that the last person who made it used the wrong blank. They should be able to look up the year and model of your bike then recur the key onto the correct blank and as long as your existing key works all the other locks. That tells me the depths they cut are correct but the keyway is wrong. let me know, Ed

You know that's the problem Hardware stores are usually clueless on cutting keys and hell half the locksmiths( probably even more) don't know dick either. You just need someone who will take the time and it wouldn't hurt to take one of the "other" locks that the key doesn't go in with you. Have him slide the blank into the lock to make sure it passes all the locks keyways. Then it should work all of them. Good luck, Ed

Get a spare, put some thick plastic over the metal end, remove one of the lenses on your signals, install the key in there, reattach the lense, make sure you have a screwdriver in your spare tools. Now you have a key in a hard to find location.

Sean[/QUOTE

Awesome idea Sean. Thanks

Latest posts

Back