Jetting Question--Stock Engine @ Sea Level

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vmaxattacks

Reaction score
Hi, folks,
I've read the numerous posts about individual owners' settings and the overall jetting questions in general but I want to get a general "consensus" about my setup. I have to split the rack,.....again... because I have peashot, shotgunned, and Sea Foamed myself to the brink of insanity to cure a bad low-end stumble which, have rendered useless results, so consequently I have to delve into this P.O.S. once again:bang head: So, whilst it is apart I want to pick some brains.

My, Cali '94 currently has 49-state carbs on it and it ran "okay" before but it always had too much lean throttle "tip-in" for my taste. I have stock, drilled cans (3/8" holes where the rivets used to reside) and everything else is bone-stock with the exception of a T-boost which, I rarely use, if at all. I am in southern California at about 1000' above sea level and I rarely see any other terrain other than here. I don't like the fact that I have backed out my mixture screws to damn near the limit to attain a half-decent idle (when it was running "half-decent") so I was thinking of swapping out the pilot jets since it is apart to get some more control on the mixture screws. I want to put in #40 or #42.5 PJ's and maybe go a bit leaner on the mains to #150's. My wet float levels are spot on 17MM.
It always was a non-smooth-transitioning engine from idle to +- 1/8 throttle....ALWAYS...and I have read that leaning out the mains can be beneficial for near sea level machines.
What do y'all think??

Thanx,
Bud

What do you folks think about thi

i'm not great with carbs but i had to fiddle with mine enough (luckily with a sniffer), but what about a larger idle jet?

i think it was dave (vmax626) had a good response to bigger idle jets...

When I was running trapps (not a whole bunch different than what your running) and everything else stock. I dropped my mains to 147.5, with a single .020 shim on the needle. I'm at 440' elev.

This chart and this testing method helped me dial the bike in.
http://www.factorypro.com/tech/carbtun.html

Also here is a great carb article:
http://users.telenet.be/pianne/technical/carb101/index.htm

carbcircuits.jpg

Nice! I was digging through my box of spare parts and I found a set of DJ160's which is equivalent (by Lvlheads's chart) to Mikuni 150's so this might be a good compromise. I see by your combo you left the PJ's alone and just shimmed the needle. How many twists on the mixture screws did you end up with?

Thanx,
Bud

Make absolutely sure that your pilot jets are clear, if they are not clear you will never get it to run right.

Make absolutely sure that your pilot jets are clear, if they are not clear you will never get it to run right.
Yep!!

I found the culprit that as causing the bad running and it was the pilot jet:bang head::bang head:
I first quickly deduced that it was the #1 cylinder because I pulled off the vacuum nipple plug on each cylinder one at a time until the engine made no change in idle quality and I found the offending cylinder. I first checked the spark plug and it was good as was the spark. It seems that the Sea Foam dislodged a teeny tiny piece of varnish and it got stuck in the pilot jet! So much for that attempt. So now I get to put it back together again.

Once I make some jetting changes I'll be good to go.

Thanx,
Bud

Back