K & N Filter

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TOTHEMAX

Reaction score
Can someone tell me the poop on K & N filters? I"ve had a couple of people tell me that I should not use a K & N filter on a stock bike because it will lean out the bike and make it run hotter!!! :ummm:

Yeah, not a good idea since you'll at least need pieces from stage 7 kit....especially the main air jet air correctors, needles, etc.

Mark

I've also been told that the stock air box is far to restrictive to recieve much help from a K&N...

True?

True that.....unless you remove the "Y" or modify the air box. But, then you'll need air correctors in the main air jet up top. Only good thing about K&N is that it's reusable.

Mark

I never thought of the k&n being a problem.
Wonder if it would have the same effect on a car and cause the check engine light to come on?
I NEVER had problems with the max popping through the carbs once in a while til I went with a k&n

No problems here with the K&N. I have modified the air box but kept the "Y".
Mod is to open the top of the air box to fit the opening in the filter---- raise the "Y" 3/8 of an inch------insulate the bottom of the air box(on the outside)----raise the needle about 0.025"------ shorten the spring a few coils---- All for the cost of the filter. Works great but I'm at altitude, 5,000 ft. Also have an exhaust mod.
Lew

My understanding of the car related question (taking for granted that it is EFI) is that the Mass Air Flow Meter reads the air flow and adjusts the A/F mix accordingly. Therefore, a K&N works just fine. I have one in my '91 Mustang GT and have never had any issues with it.

Carbed engines, on the other hand, are not nearly as dynamic in their A/F control and rely on purely mechanical means to adjust it. In other words, if you allow the airflow to exceed the jettings ability to provide adequate fuel to the amount of air blowing by, you lean out...

You can lean out EFI, as well, but this is much harder to do in most cases and the computer balks and could throw a "check engine" light, I suppose... I do know that if I were to change the intake and exhaust on my Mustang to the point of leaning it out, I would then have to upgrade the injectors to a higher flow and "chip" the computer accordingly...

In the end, I'n just talkin' out my ass... :biglaugh: My info is based soley on my experience with the 'Stang and the reading of this and other VMax forums...

For what it is worth... :punk:

\m/ DS

Interesting, I just ran across this thread. Whoever had my '89 before me put a K&N in it. I doubt that they put anything of a Stage 7 in it but is there any way of knowing? Would it be better to go back to stock if the carbs are stock?

Dave, you have the single K&N filter with air box? I doubt you have stage 7 in that case. Stage 7 eliminates the air box and uses 4 individual filter pods.

Dave, you have the single K&N filter with air box? I doubt you have stage 7 in that case. Stage 7 eliminates the air box and uses 4 individual filter pods.

Yeah, just have the single filter with the stock air box. Was the original question in regards to putting on the four individual K&Ns?

Latest posts

Back