kerker on an 86 V-Max and pulling Engine

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

namyzzo

Reaction score
:bang head:Hello all.. I just acquired an 86 Vmax with some issues.. I have to pull the motor.. The bike has the Kerker 4-1? with the Chrome can at the back. Does anyone have a .pdf or website showing how the system is installed?... Just curious if the motor had to be removed to install this exhaust system.... and any tips on getting the motor out would be helpfull.. I am at the point where I need to tilt or twist or hang the bike from the ceiling (ha,ha) = to get it clear from the driveshaft and the exhaust.. Help,Help..

:bang head:Hello all.. I just acquired an 86 Vmax with some issues.. I have to pull the motor.. The bike has the Kerker 4-1? with the Chrome can at the back. Does anyone have a .pdf or website showing how the system is installed?... Just curious if the motor had to be removed to install this exhaust system.... and any tips on getting the motor out would be helpfull.. I am at the point where I need to tilt or twist or hang the bike from the ceiling (ha,ha) = to get it clear from the driveshaft and the exhaust.. Help,Help..

Absolutely NOT! It goes in and out with the engine IN the bike...

To remove the Kerker - loosen the two front exhaust pipe bolts and the rear midpipe bolt (attaches mid pipe to the frame) - loosen the bolts holding the two rear exhaust pipes - now remove the mid pipe bolt and let the rear exhaust hang down. Next remove bolts to the two rear exhaust pipes and pull each one out - than remove the bolts on the front exhaust pipes, slide system forward and drop it down - the exhaust is off!

As far as removing the engine - follow the service manual instructions - but to make things easier, remove the rear wheel, shocks and swingarm - loosen the engine bolts directly around the middle drive gear (part that has the ujoint attached) than remove the 3 retaining bolts and pull out the middle drive gear - this will make it easier to swing the motor out of the right side of the frame.

Good luck

Mike

Thanks - I will give it a try.. = just appears that the engine and rear frame cross/bar are tooo close to do it.....
The "can" that I have is bent - does anyone know where to get just the can - from an internet source? - I tried emailing supertrapp and they tell me to go through my local repair shop...

Thanks Again!! - got alot of parts coming (pistons..etc) - so I will be asking for alottt more help...
-Steve

The 2 rear exhaust pipes off the heads are 2 short seperate pieces that are only about a foot long - they join right about where the crossbar is. You shouldn't have a problem taking the exhaust system off.

As far as the can, from a dealer or if lucky off ebay - Another option is to change to a different slip on can - Quarterhorse has a Kerker slip on can that sounds good on a Hindle pipe He has a sound clip on a couple of threads - I just bought a Scorpion carbon fiber can and I'm replacing the stock Kerker can on my exhaust. Looks better (IMO) and never have to repack it.

Mike

Sean Morley can hook you up with a Kerker can...:thumbs up:

He goes by One2dmax on here.

Back