larger fuel tank

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spicer98

Reaction score
hi
am currently fed up with having to stop every 80 miles to refill and am thinking about a larger fuel tank have seen a couple of options on a site called exactrep
just wondering if anybody else has done this or has any suggestions
cheers

there are a couple, seem expensive, you mean besides carrying a jerry can on the back lol.

should be able to get atleast 100 miles or better,well guess on how much fun you are having with it eh?
your's heavily mod'ed?

If you ditch the scoops you can get a bigger wrap around tank. Mine has 8 gallons... Its like Duracell... With some skill you can find a bigger tank where you can cut the top and weld it on top of the faux tank and gravity feed it to the seat tank... One option to do it custom...

I have the 20.5 litre (#85) fuel tank which gives between 140 & 160 miles between fills.
Apart from being a bit of a so* to fit ('cos it is very tight) I would recommend it.

If my Euro to Dollar conversion is correct it's a bit cheaper here?

If you have a extended swingarm you could get your tank custom built to take up the space in front of the rear wheel. Or if you don't ride a passenger you could replace the rear seat with a add on tank.
You could also go with a Venture rear pumpkin or Sean's 5th gear overdrive. I have and can recommend the 5th gear overdrive although it really doesn't help much around town, it's on the long trips where it really helps. The high avg mileage I recorded before the conversion was ~120 miles and now the longest I've seen is 145 to the tank, all highway miles. I also added Sean's jet kit at the same time as the OD gear.
There are options but I think none are cheap.

Sean Morley is working on a new tank for the vmax that goes hand in hand with an extended swingarm. It is not complete yet but he is guessing it will add another gallon in capacity.

PCW also does this work. Extended arms and expanded tanks. Their tank mod adds about 3/4 gallon

The replacement tanks are nice and are around 5 gallons if I remember right. But starting at over $850 they are not cheap! Plus overseas shipping.

Yes, our extended tanks are far cheaper then the other options!

The welder is off for a week now since his wife will be having their first child on Monday (as long as everything goes to plan).

The first tank we did is going to bead blaster now getting cleaned up before final welding. The second tank did undergo the knife yesterday and is now tacked up and waiting for him to get back for final welding. Came out very nicely I think. I am not sure on the final increase in capacity but think it's easily a gallon more.

This will require the extended swingarm though.

The expensive one from MEK will take you to at least 190 miles if youre half way tuned. Its a 5.5 Gal. I can go about 165 in town between fill ups.

wonder if anyones ever put a small tank on the front forks, plumbed it in line and used something like that. might be a cheaper option. atleast get you to the next stop when your on those long rides in the middle of nowhere.

The cheapest way is to have an extra tank in your saddlebag.

I was thinking about mounting a small gas container like the ones you get at the pump instead of the pillion seat (maybe buy an extra seat, take the stuffing out and shoehorn the gas pack in there, that way I'll have the choice to run with it or with the wife).
I don't think I will plumb it in unless I find a keyless gas cap dirtbike style that has a small opening for a hose.

No real mods only some body work, have only had the bike for about 6 mounths and most of those over the winter so been using my bandit more (don't want to ruin the max in all the salt etc)
But i'm gessing from what you guys are saying that about 80 miles before the reserve light comes on after a refill is pretty poor, Not to knowlegable about these things so any suggestions, do i need to get my engine tuned ?

The cheapest way is to have an extra tank in your saddlebag.

I was thinking about mounting a small gas container like the ones you get at the pump instead of the pillion seat (maybe buy an extra seat, take the stuffing out and shoehorn the gas pack in there, that way I'll have the choice to run with it or with the wife).
I don't think I will plumb it in unless I find a keyless gas cap dirtbike style that has a small opening for a hose.

cool idea...... better then carrying fuel in a 4L jus jug hahahahah

Latest posts

Back