looking at getting a max

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattness

Reaction score
hey guys long time listener first time poster.
I started riding about a year ago, my first bike was a v45 magna, i was in the process of selling it and getting a new one, when my uncle said,

if you want a cruiser.... and want to go fast... why dont you just get a vmax?

i shrugged it off and thought, a magna is a v4 engine, it doesnt get any faster!

i looked at maybe 3 or 4 maxes and saw the crappiest one i could get a year ago was like 4-5k dollars. i looked at maybe 40 magnas and got me a 98 for $2500. life was good.

ive put about 10k miles on it and ive about completely mastered it. i got my motorcycle endorsement and havent wrecked or dropped it. my only close calls are when someone pulls out in front of me. I can even ride some decent wheelies on this thing haha.

but now i just want something more. i looked back into the vmax and i think i want one. im selling my magna in december for sure, so im hoping to have my max by christmas. i have some questionz

1. hows a vmax compare to a v45 magna?
handling? i dont expect sportbike handling but is it really that bad?

2. speed/acceleration?
my magna is slightly geared down, if i red line it in 5th itll go 120. but it sure gets to about 85-90 mph damn fast.

3. maintenance? other than routine stuff, the only thing thats messed up on mine is my reg fried, $100 fix.

4. comfort?
i can go about 40 miles on my mag before my butt is completely numb.

5. will the vrod beat me?

6. im looking to get at least a 98, what am i missing by not getting a newer one?

1) Learn how to handle one of these big girls and you can keep up with sport bikes in the twisties,I do it.Look up "Carving up Ortega on my V-Max" on YOUTUBE and you can see mine in action a little bit.We have a 94 Magna and my 85 V-Max and I can out turn that sucker ALLLLLLL day because the positon of the bars/forks

2) as for speed...Well Ill be the first to tell you,the V-Max was built to dominate the Honda Sabre in the 80's...wich featured the v65 from the Magna in a smaller sportier frame.Yes the Max is faster and it is a no questions asked beat down:boxing00:.(just my experience between my Max and my dads Magna)

3)maintenance is easier to do then spell...the engine was BASED (but has greatly evolved) on a touring bike motor called the Yamaha Venture, so the engine was designed for long relentless riding and abuse.They can be touchy at times but you will not be dissapointed with constant issues and workin on them is easy should somthing go wrong:th_k050:
4)comfort: I can ride mine for about 2 hours at a time before a break in the twisties and Ive never ridin long enough to get soar when just highway riding.Good position for sittin back and cruising or layin into the tank and hauling!

5)Just because the Harley cost 3 times more doesnt make it faster.I dont know the history of it but I BELIEVE the V-Max came out LONG before...and it sure is VERY similiar to the Max and VERY "Jap bike" designed compared to everything else Harley makes...looks to me like they tried to make a V-Max of there own.I will need another opinion to confirm but I would assume its close but the Max will still come out on top based on numbers but I have no experience in this match up.:confused2:

6)Not much,I ride an 1985 and have no complaints.Newer is fun and usually has a longer future but the design changed little over the years.The others will be able to tell ya more on what the newer ones feature but I believe it was mostly cosmetic.

Hope I was able to help ya out a little.I have ridden both...Believe me the Max will become your new favorite in a hurry if you get one.
(P.S.) If I was wrong in any of my responses to your inquiries the guys here on the forum will gladly correct me so dont just take my word.Hope you get it though:thumbs up:

Here is a good article to have a read over...shoot out with a Vmax, Magna, and Vrod with a side of VTX, Warrior, Mean Streak, and another favorite of mine, Valkyrie....it's dated, all the bikes are '02 models and 3 of them are no longer being produced (at least not in that form ;)), but it is still relevant considering the topic at hand...

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/roadtests/performance_cruiser_comparison/index.html

'97 Max for sale in Toledo. $3700. Don't know more than that, but if you're interested, email me and I'll dig up the phone #. Or look for yourself in the Toledo Blade want ads. See that you're in Indiana--could be close.

You get a Max, I think you'll love it. I love mine.

Still got my 05 and another friends 03 for sale. Both are great bikes.

In short, the Vmax will pretty much whoop on the Magna in most categories (maybe all of them). Plenty durable but not explosion proof (nothing is). We can fix the seat issue, handling upgrades, and about anything else you want.

Sean

1. hows a vmax compare to a v45 magna?
handling? i dont expect sportbike handling but is it really that bad?
v45=750cc, Vmax=1200cc. Bigger, heavier, more power, better looking (unless you have the v45 super, those exhausts are COOL)
The handling can be bad, usually the earlier models or some worn bearings/bad springs/cheap tyres etc.

2. speed/acceleration?
my magna is slightly geared down, if i red line it in 5th itll go 120. but it sure gets to about 85-90 mph damn fast.
Vmax has both of them, it'll get there faster and then go faster :punk:

3. maintenance? other than routine stuff, the only thing thats messed up on mine is my reg fried, $100 fix.
reg/rectifier is a common problem on the Magnas (all years) I had a '96 and still have an '87. I've gone through about 8-9 reg/rectifiers so far.
Vmax has problems holding onto rubber :confused2: but it's the mod monkey you'll have to worry about.

4. comfort?
i can go about 40 miles on my mag before my butt is completely numb.
It's a personal thing, based on your riding style and the types of roads you're on.
I'd say get off, fill up and have a look around now and again
OR get a gel pad inserted in your seat

5. will the vrod beat me?
:rofl_200: Not unless it has a turbo hanging out the side

6. im looking to get at least a 98, what am i missing by not getting a newer one?
93 & later are mostly the same besides the oil filter, colors, improved alloy technology etc...

The basic rule is, newer is better, esp. the 2009

Where in Indiana are you? a pile of us are getting together next weekend for a ride down to Brown County. We meet Sat. morning at 9:30 (I believe) in Frankfort. PM me if you want details. It would be a good chance to check out a bunch of Maxes and the guys who love them, and also to see how far behind we leave you ;)

Go for it. I used to ride a V30 Magna, which is what sold me on getting another V4 bike. I remember I thought that 500cc was pretty fast since it would keep up with H-D's 3x it's displacement. It's still the fastest 500 I've ever encountered....I remember I "raced" a Buell Blast with it once....he might as well been riding a bicycle. Same displacement, his was 20 years newer, he was a speck by the time I hit 3rd. LOL@ Buell

My vmax came with a bunch of handling upgrades so I can't really comment on it stock, but with frame braces, Progressive springs and Nicetect ride-adjust shocks, it handles very well for a cruiser of it's size and weight. As good as my Magna, which was a much smaller, lighter bike.

Stock, the Max goes faster(~145 to redline in 5th) and gets there damn quick. With the Venture drive, it still pulls like a freight train, gets 3-4mpg better mileage, and I did 138mph and was turning about 8000 RPM(redline is 9500). In other words, plenty fast enough.

Vmaxes have their own little temperments, but the one thing to check before buying an 02? or older is for worn out gear dogs. Go for a ride, and suddenly mash it in all the gears. If it pops out of gear, move on. Worn/broken dogs, which requires splitting the case to fix. Not worth the trouble. Compared to Magna's, the carbs on the Vmax are a breeze to work on.

I think the stock seat sucks, and my ass is asleep within about an hour. There's lots of options to improve it, and some are not expensive at all.

Vrod is Hardly's attempt at a muscle cruiser. Of course it's loud, has an exorbitant price tag, and lots of chrome. A bone stock Max will take one all day. I've heard that a M109 will take it also. Congrats H-D, a 24 year old engine still wins.

93 on up had a few updates- better brakes, a few stability updates. 99 up got a weak link in the transmission fixed, but it's a fairly easy DIY update to any year. Vmaxoutlaw.com has a model year guide with the changes.

Stay with a '93 or later and you'll have one hell of a bike right out of the gate.

2003 and up and you get everything that's good about a Vmax.

The difference will amaze you. A V45 is NO competition for the max.

Chris

Speaking of who beats who...I know that dyno drags are just for fun but Ive taken literally everything in the cruiser class (warriors, C50-c90, Vic's, M109's etc...) including HD and the ONLY thing that came close was a modified Vrod scream'n eagle. But he still didn't have enough. Real street action will of course be different but the max is a weapon in the hands of someone willing to line up.

I'll add my 2 cents...

THE GOOD:
- GOBS of power. You'll own the road. Hold on TIGHT when you hit 6,000 RPMs!
- Easy maintenance. This is the easiest bike I've ever worked on. Honestly. You can sincronize all the carbs in about 5 minutes, start to finish.
- Dependability. As long as you accomplish regular maintenance, it will last forever. Mine has 56,000 miles and runs VERY strong.

THE BAD:
- The miniature fuel tank. I hit reserve consistently at about 85 miles. Refueling every time at less than 100 miles REALLY sucks. Others here get much better mileage than I do, but I do have 56,000 [hard] miles.
- Cornering sucks. I am a certified sport bike instructor, but I'm a 0-60 guy at heart. My bike is like steering a piece of licorice around a corner. No dragging your knees or elbows here, unless you are going down!

Not to hijack this guy's thread...too much.

I also own a v45 (1985 700cc Honda Magna). Its been my first bike, and I've ridden it for about 4 years now.

What I love about the vmax is its the last "standard/cruiser" that holds its own against sportbikes. Back in the magna's hey day, back in 1983-1984 (the v65), it was the fastest thing on the road in a straight line (even beat all the sportbikes).

I only wish that today some bike like the Vmax could still beat the fastest Hayabusa in a straight line. Don't think that can happen anymore till the engineers at Yamaha learn to decrease the Vmax's weight substantially.

Although I also contemplated the vmax as my next bike, I'm a little deterred because I love to tour.

HAVE any of you guys toured on the vmax? Have you guys ever put a trunk on the back, two hard plastic saddlebags, etc... on the vmax?

I used to think that full dressers looked fugly...couch on wheels right..! But its nice when you're going camping for the weekend with the girl that you can actually bring more than a backpack's worth of stuff.

I'm leaning toward Honda's Valkyrie Interstate...6 cylinder engine, big tank, huge saddlebags/trunk, and slightly more power than my v45 Magna or the Yamaha Venture.

I'd still consider the Vmax if I could set it up for touring, do you guys have any pictures of a Vmax loaded down with touring accessories?

I know the Vmax tank is small but I don't mind stopping every 100 miles for gas/drink/bathroom...i do the same thing on my Magna currently (even though it goes to 140 miles).

Thanks.

Nice!!!

Where did you get your saddlebags and your trunk from? Company? Website?

That's what I want. Is the trunk lockable? I'd like to be able to fit at least two helmets in the trunk, and then lock it.

Thanks dude.

Nice!!!

That's what I want. Is the trunk lockable? I'd like to be able to fit at least two helmets in the trunk, and then lock it.

Thanks dude.

How much did it cost? also.

thanks

How much can you fit in those saddlebags?

Do a test for me.

I can fit 2 gallons of milk in mine, and then lay 2 loaves of bread on top of the milk, and fit my soft luggage shut.

Can you do that?

Last edited by a moderator:
How much can you fit in those saddlebags?

Do a test for me.

I can fit 2 gallons of milk in mine, and then lay 2 loaves of bread on top of the milk, and fit my soft luggage shut.

Can you do that?
but but but, won't the bread soak up all the milk?????? :rofl_200:

but but but, won't the bread soak up all the milk?????? :rofl_200:

Funny guy. I've packed so much food into my saddlebags, I once had my milk start to leak from the pressure. No explosions though.

The funniest incident with my leather saddlebags is they caught fire going 110 mph on the highway...too close to my exhaust :(.

Funny guy. I've packed so much food into my saddlebags, I once had my milk start to leak from the pressure. No explosions though.

The funniest incident with my leather saddlebags is they caught fire going 110 mph on the highway...too close to my exhaust :(.
Damn, that would suck.... but if it looked anything like the movie Ghost Rider it would be kinda cool :clapping:

Nice!!!

Saddlebags come from www.fatmax.com

They are expensive but they came with my bike. Fully waterproof and lockable, although you could get through that lock with any toothpick..

Trunk is a standard Givi 30 liter topbox, comes with standard mounting plate that will hold any Givi box. I bought that off fleaBay in the UK for maybe $75 new.
It's also fully waterproof and has a lock. Mine only holds one full face helmet, but you can get them in many sizes and the larger ones hold 2 helmets no problem.

Saddlebags come from www.fatmax.com

They are expensive but they came with my bike. Fully waterproof and lockable, although you could get through that lock with any toothpick..

Trunk is a standard Givi 30 liter topbox, comes with standard mounting plate that will hold any Givi box. I bought that off fleaBay in the UK for maybe $75 new.
It's also fully waterproof and has a lock. Mine only holds one full face helmet, but you can get them in many sizes and the larger ones hold 2 helmets no problem.

Wow. You're right. I'm sure the investment was worth it to you for those saddlebags because they sure are nice.

I'm going to have to wait for awhile though before I can fork over that kinda money. Currently unemployed...

Latest posts

Back