Low Speed Drop /Steering now oddly responsive?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karmakatt

Reaction score
I had a low speed drop a couple days ago and since my steering feels light. My riding skills are alway improving and im able to put her where I want to go more and more but since the drop, the steering feels "very light". Like the slightest touch will turn the bars. This occurs at all speeds, there's no wobble, but I'm not sure if it's in my head but I swear she feels lighter to steer. I must be very cautious as a light push/pull seems to have an amplified effect. I bought her in late October last year. Perhaps temperature? Or my experience as a rider? Or??
I'll have a look around some threads but anything you guys know of the may triggered due to a very low speed drop?

Thx-

Jack her up in the front end and double check your head bearings for play etc... Only way to tell for sure.

And also double check your tire air pressures.

Jack her up in the front end and double check your head bearings for play etc... Only way to tell for sure.

And also double check your tire air pressures.

I watched Seans Video on "The Bounce" as well..
Thx..

I wonder if the "drop" somehow reseated the steering head bearings?

So possibly, this is the norm?? I'll jack it up tonight at work.. I've ridden with low air in the front and rear and felt the difference between 0-14 PSI in the Forks and this feels completely differant.

Ive seen a test where as lifting the front off the ground and letting the bars swing while watching for "notches" of resistances. Is this how too check the steering head bearings?
I think I use to try that on my SECA by putting her on the centre stand, sitting back far enough on the rear of the seat to allow the front tire to come off. Than noticing a notch where the bars grabbed (very slight) in the center position rather than easy freedom of movement.
Can I do the same with the Max -sitting further back I mean? Or is that to dangerous with such a heavy bike?

One other thing..
I've noticed that when riding with low pressure in the tires and no pressure in the Forks the ride is sluggish. And after adding air it felt like riding on a tight rope.. If that makes sense. The nimbleness increase 10 fold. I guess I'm saying, that I've adjusted, over time to all kinds of differant settings..
This has nothing to do with my original question, just an observation..

I put mine on the centerstand, then jack in the center of the oil pan with a floor jack. Doesn't take much to get the weight off Max that way. And yes, wiggle the bars back and forth with it up to check the condition of the head bearings. If you have a flat spot, most likely is will be with the bars pointed straight ahead. If tightening the head bearings to get the right free play at center puts too much tension on the rest of the turning radius, you have a flat spot and the bearings/races will need changed out.

I put mine on the centerstand, then jack in the center of the oil pan with a floor jack. Doesn't take much to get the weight off Max that way. And yes, wiggle the bars back and forth with it up to check the condition of the head bearings. If you have a flat spot, most likely is will be with the bars pointed straight ahead. If tightening the head bearings to get the right free play at center puts too much tension on the rest of the turning radius, you have a flat spot and the bearings/races will need changed out.

Thanks JF..
I'm busy with work today but I'll keep my threads updated..
Cheers!

Lee
VMOA 5652

Back