Machine work, Soda Blasting, Powder Coating

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dij0674

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm in the middle of rebuilding my VMax and have a few questions.

I'm looking for some opinions / experiences on the process of powder coating my cases and heads. I'm trying to figure out if this will work and will last.

Currently, I've had the cylinders honed and matched to the pistons, by my machinist. I'd like to get the cases and heads soda blasted so I can powder coat them, prior to the engine build. Everything else on the bike is coated. My understanding is that soda blasting will not hurt the metal in any way, and that as long as the metal is washed with a neutralizing solution after blasting the powder coating will stick. I've also read that as long as taped properly the powder coat will not mess up the cylinders.

I'm worried about warping the heads/cases and messing up the cylinders with the heat required during baking the coating (400 - 450 F). I've read conflicting info on heat dissipation issues due to powder coating being thicker than paint, but this seems to be an issue with air cooled engines and not water cooled. Any insights or opinions would be much appreciated. My machinist seems to think I should get all of this done before he goes any further with the work (valve job and setup the heads)

Thx,

Damien
93 Max/ blacked out

We've coated heads in the past but not the block. It should coat up just fine but will screw with all the surfaces. We like to fully assemble our engines then do a bead blast with glass media followed immediately by paint. Dry in an oven at about 175 degrees (large heated paint booth) and then installed!

Pics are on facebook showing before/during/after.

Sean

Back