My son taken to Hospital

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zippo6

Reaction score
So my wife and I were at the Coliseum parking lot, she was practicing her figure 8's for her motorcycle test, my cell phone rings. It's my 12 year old son. He's supposed to be at a soccer field with some friends watching another friends game. He asks if we can go pick him up, he fell off his skateboard and his leg and arm are bloody. So we pack up the pillons and head over to pick him up. His injuries did not look nearly as bad as he made them sound on the phone. Once home he heads to the bathroom to clean up, this is when my wife finds out about the bump forming on his head. This 'bump' was slowly getting bigger, and is easily referred to as a goose egg! It was about 4" in diameter and at it peak at least +3/4"!! It's massive!

So my wife has taken him to the emergency room. Telecare wanted to call 911 and send an ambulance, but being no more than 10 minutes from the hospital we decided to take him. My wife just sent me an update via Blackberry Messenger and said he's waiting to see the doctor and to go for a CT Scan. All his vitals are normal and he has not degraded any further than how he was at home. She's going to keep me posted.... I'm concerned to say the least.... worried in fact.... and I'm not one to worry....

To answer your question, no, he was NOT wearing his helmet.... I just wish he had of listened to me instead of having to learn this way that dad was actually right about helmets.... He know's I have a ZERO tolerance when it comes to wearing a helmet and if I catch any of my kids (I have 4) without a helmet on when they should, they loose that 'priveledge' indefinitely. He tried to say he had borrowed and had on his buddies helmet, but as soon as I looked at and touched the goose egg I knew he was lying. Needless to say, I doubt I'll ever have to tell him again.....

Sorry to ramble, I just needed to vent this out and I know you guys care.

Thanks,
Shane

Damn dude - sorry to hear that - hope he's OK. I hope your right about the helmet - now he knows why he needs to wear it. Dad's not so dumb after all...

He's on his way to X-Ray for his head and knee, then for a CT Scan of his head. Doctor does not like doing CT Scans on kids, but feels it is necessary. Nurses also commented that they have never seen a bump that big... :S

It just kills you when your kids get sick or hurt. Good luck Shane, we'll say a special prayer for your boy.

Please keep us updated.

danny

HOPE ALL TURNS OUT GOOD !:punk:ONE THING IS FOR SURE , UNTIL YOU HAVE A CHILD OF YOUR OWN , YOU CANT UNDER STAND THE FEAR THAT CAN COME OVER A PARENT WHEN SOMETHING HAPPENS TO YOUR CHILD ! I KNOW THAT I DIDN'T , UNTIL MY NOW 6 YEAR OLD SON WAS BORN !

keep us updated man. when can u get to the hospital? or are u home watching the other kids?

hopefully its just a minor bump..

Sorry to hear about this! I have 3 young ones as well and it is SO hard when they do get hurt.

Hope everything goes well and there is a quick recovery!

Abe

sorry to hear that man, hope everything turns out ok with the little guy. Kids are usually pretty tough when it comes to this stuff. as kids we never wore helmets and ive gotten my fair share of bumps on the old skull. keeps us up to date on his status.

Hey Shane, sorry to hear about the incident with your son. Obviously, like most of us, we have to learn the hard way, but you can bet that you have to tell him to wear his helmet anymore.

Sounds like he is in good hands with the doctors, so have faith, your boy will be ok.

Mike

YIKES!!!!!

I hope all is OK.....and that he learns that dad is not a COMPLETE idiot......

from the time I was about 12 until I turned about 25 I thought my dad was the dumbest man on the face of the earth.......At 25 he became a genius.....He had been right all along,,,,but I was too dense to see it.....

I'd like those years back......

Don't be too hard on him.......

Hey Shane,
I just want to let you know that you are not alone.
Ive told my daughter( she`s 12 now) a thousand times about wearing protective gear when roller blading or skating but kids know everything or so they think. one day she came in the house crying and all scrapd up and we thought that she broke her arm but fortunately it was a bad sprang and she bruised her bones. but she hasn`t made that mistake again.
I pray that your son will be ok and he recovers not thinking that he is superman now LOL.
Take care,
<<Dave>>:punk:

Sorry to hear about it and hope there isn't any big problems from it. I had my fair share of knarly bumps and bruises and a couple really bad spills (remind them not to skateboard/tow behind a bicycle with a rope - then another time where head met a truck bumper sneaking up on my brother and tripped (I was puking for a couple of days on that one).

Hopefully he will just learn a lesson and some realization that dad might know a little something. One of my favorite sayings is that "I've been your age, you haven't been mine"

Sean

No major brain damage or swelling, he has a bad concussion..... they are on there way home. :)

Good glad to here. Its always nice to hear, especially when you have kids of your own. You can only learn from the mistakes. I know I have. Roy

Shane, I 'll be praying for your little man. It sure is tough when your kids get hurt... My little guy was a no holds barred raggin lunatic... till he busted his @$$ :damn angry: and all of a sudden I knew what I was talking about, at least for now. vent away buddy, I know I am and, from the support I have recieved, I know many are here for ya. Keep us posted on how your son is doing... Dave

Back