Need some help, no spark

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vmax bandit

Reaction score
Alright, I bought an 05 with 18,000 miles a couple months ago. Runs great. Than a couple days ago went for a 150 mile trip, everything went perfect. Next day rode to the store and when i came back out it wouldn't fire. After 20 minutes it fired up and all was fine. Next day went to work died after 3 miles. Waited 15 minutes and it fired up again. Got it home after it died again now it wont start at all.
Heres what I have checked- battery at rest is 12.8v, side stand switch- unpluged at the connection by the tank. I dont know if this is normally open or closed, so I have tried it with the pins at the connection touching and not touching. Still no spark. Disconnected the clutch lever wires and put a fuse for them to make contact. Still nothing. The way it abruptly stops makes me think it is saftey related. Not thinkin coils because of the way it runs, running on all 4 when it stops.
When the key is turned on and the stop/ start switch is on, I hear the fuel pump click and the vboost servo calibrate, hit start and the starter spins, but no spark. I thinking loose wire......any help? Thanks

"hit start and the starter spins, but no spark"

How do you know there is no spark? Carb & fuel issues can/will give similar symptoms.

What's the voltage drop down to as the starter is cranking?

Last season my max started to run like shit all of the sudden, not all time, might stall for few seconds and then pull again like nothing happened. Reason was all cracked up and corroded dyna 3000, I suggest you check your TCI.
Might be some safety switch too, try to start in neutral with clutch pulled?

I can tell there is no spark, the spack plug cap is off number 4 with a spark plug in it on the side of the bike. The bike is in neutral, dont need the clutch pulled in with the fuse bypassing the clutch saftey switch.

Dies while running..... No spark with an extra plug attached to a plug wire and grounded on the side of the motor........hummmm

As soon as it dies, does any of the other electrical stuff work? Work properly I mean? Or your head light still works (until starter button pushed of course),?

If all the other electrical still works normally, I'm going with Mr. Max, and say to check your TCI, and connections leading in. Might be a faulty pick up coil too.

Thanks for all the help! Checked the pick up coil and showing an open field. Guess its time to drain the oil, and change it out. Wheres a good place to purchase the pick up coil? Rarely will I go to a stealership. Also, besides checking the connections to the TCI, how would you check it?

did you check the kickstand switch?
had one get wierd some time ago. Would just die, then 10 minutes later would start and run then again just die.
Easy to check.
Michael

You know any friends with a 90 model and up? Swap his ignitor box and see if that's the problem. Sean Morley will send you one and if that's the problem he expects you to buy it. He always has reasonably priced parts and good support to go with it. You can email him at [email protected] his banner is at the top of the page.

Back