Need some help with my exhaust woes!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warbeast

Reaction score
I found a bit of an issue with my exhaust tonight when I was starting to prep the Max for spring. When I mounted the center stand up, i bumped the lower left header and noticed it made a metal on metal clunk noise. Curiosity got the best of me, so I grabbed the front of the muffler just behind the clamp and gave it a little tug. Low and behold, the muffler clamp was loose.

So I decided to take the muffler off and see what the deal was. When I went to loosen the clamp. I found it wasn't loose at all, but it was as if the vibration had worn away at the metal and started to disintegrate. (See picture)

I know you all are wondering, why anyone at this point would want to keep their Cobra 4-4 slip ons? Well, I am on a very tight budget and can't afford much, and I've posted the max on craigslist 3 times now with nothing but empty promises of people wanting to come take a look at it who never show up, thanks crappy economy. Since no one else wants it, I might was well make it a better fit for me. So I am going to get the end piece replaced by a friend at a local machine shop.

I'm just wondering, It looks like the pipe never fit on all the way before or was too short to completely mount up before. So I am going to have my friend make the pipe about a 1/2" longer to accomodate for it's less than satisfactory coupling before. My only question is, when the cobra slip ons are installed, are you supposed to leave the stock silencer gaskets that are between the muffler and the stock headers? The fit seems like nothing would squeeze inbetween them (That's what she said), but I wouldn't know as the slip ons were on the bike when I installed it.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Thad

Attachments

• IMG_0102[1].jpg
    IMG_0102[1].jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 64
Definitely ate up. Not sure if it needs to be longer though. They are supposed to fit in the mufflers and clamp up snug. But, with time, heat and vibrations it may have swelled the mufflers some.

Sean

Well that is where I was concerned. If I push the muffler all the way onto the header, the mounting hole won't line up properly on the rear. But if you line the hole up properly, the muffler is only half on the header.

that sucks man, guess you will have to make it longer and slide it further in for sure (that's what she said:punk:) lol

if you let it sit where it should and make a new mounting tab will that work, how far off does it through the muffler compared to the other? are the other three like that also?

that sucks man, guess you will have to make it longer and slide it further in for sure (that's what she said:punk:) lol

if you let it sit where it should and make a new mounting tab will that work, how far off does it through the muffler compared to the other? are the other three like that also?
All the other pipes mount up perfect. Just this one that has the issue.

Back