New Guy with 20th Anniversary... Impression

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vmax bandit

Reaction score
Was able to trade my 94 Sportster and $1200 for #301 with 18000 miles. Upgrades include Corbin seat and highway pegs. The night of the trade was cold, 10* and wind blowing so any ride was short lived. They showed up and we looked each others bike over and than took them for a ride. I knew of the second gear issue so that was what I concentrated on. It was rock solid. Signed the titles and headed home. Next day was still to cold for a proper ride, so I checked the fluids and the general condition, than grabbed the "carb-tune". Carbs were off a little bit from side to side, so I dialed them in. The carbs still have the brass plugs in. Next day was warmer so I fired it up and went for a ride. Got the sense that the Bandit was not happy being left inside. The Bandit (B12) is a 97 with 42000 miles. I think its a good all around nice bike. Drove the Max around town to get a feel for it. Nice smooth ride, handles bumps well, good relaxed position, and plenty of "get up and go" power. Time to take it on the highway. Was doing 75, down shifted and hit 120 in no time. It felt quick, but the Bandit feels quicker. Got off the interstate and hit the back roads. Lets see what it does. Why did Yamaha not put a rev limiter on here? I looked down and was shifting at 10500 to 11000 on each shift. Reading on this forum it equals very bad for the engine. Still nothing was hurt, and it was a good ride. For a bike that was basically unchanged for 20 years they did a good job in '85. Put the Max back in garage and grabed the Bandit. Once I am able to put more miles on the Max I'm sure I will like it more, just glad I'm able to have two bikes in my garage. I do see a shift light in the future for the Max and a windshield for highway riding. All in all I think I got a great deal on this bike and glad the Harley is gone.

Attachments

• IMG_20140301_174910_876.jpg
    IMG_20140301_174910_876.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_20140301_174942_657.jpg
    IMG_20140301_174942_657.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_20140301_175024_396.jpg
    IMG_20140301_175024_396.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 46
Welcome to the forum and great year vmax to have....

album.php
picture.php

Enjoy and be safe!

Was able to trade my 94 Sportster and $1200 for #301 with 18000 miles. Upgrades include Corbin seat and highway pegs. The night of the trade was cold, 10* and wind blowing so any ride was short lived. They showed up and we looked each others bike over and than took them for a ride. I knew of the second gear issue so that was what I concentrated on. It was rock solid. Signed the titles and headed home. Next day was still to cold for a proper ride, so I checked the fluids and the general condition, than grabbed the "carb-tune". Carbs were off a little bit from side to side, so I dialed them in. The carbs still have the brass plugs in. Next day was warmer so I fired it up and went for a ride. Got the sense that the Bandit was not happy being left inside. The Bandit (B12) is a 97 with 42000 miles. I think its a good all around nice bike. Drove the Max around town to get a feel for it. Nice smooth ride, handles bumps well, good relaxed position, and plenty of "get up and go" power. Time to take it on the highway. Was doing 75, down shifted and hit 120 in no time. It felt quick, but the Bandit feels quicker. Got off the interstate and hit the back roads. Lets see what it does. Why did Yamaha not put a rev limiter on here? I looked down and was shifting at 10500 to 11000 on each shift. Reading on this forum it equals very bad for the engine. Still nothing was hurt, and it was a good ride. For a bike that was basically unchanged for 20 years they did a good job in '85. Put the Max back in garage and grabed the Bandit. Once I am able to put more miles on the Max I'm sure I will like it more, just glad I'm able to have two bikes in my garage. I do see a shift light in the future for the Max and a windshield for highway riding. All in all I think I got a great deal on this bike and glad the Harley is gone.

Congrats.

#301 of 2005? I guess I've always thought all years of Vmax were sequentially numbered continuing on from the prior year. I didn't realize the numbering reset with each model year.

I had a shift light and a rev limiter and i can tell you that you will be better of with a rev limiter. Talk to sean morley and he can get you a nice one. A rev limiter would be the first upgrade i would make if i was you.

I have a 1997 Royalstar, which uses the engine that was adapted for use in the subsequent Vmax, and it has a rev limiter, so I figure doing the same for your bike shouldn't be a big deal. BTW, congrats on the 05, gotta be better than the sporty.

A Dyna 3000 has a rev limiter and I think Dingy's Ignition [Inigtech(sp?)], which does a lot more than the Dyna 3000, has one as well. Both are Available thru Sean Morley I believe.

I have the ignitech....and yes it has a rev limiter....I have mine at 9500, it really helps out when you get on it, or to dyno the bike.

Very nice bike!

On the subject of rev limiters, I need one, and I think I would probably do well with the Ignitech setup. I would probably set mine to 9500, because power starts dropping off at 9k, according to the dyno run I had done after I put the 4-4 Cobra exhaust on. (love the looks and sound of them pipes, and the only power loss is up where I'm almost never at... so I feel I won on that deal
pinkiehappy.png
)

Latest posts

Back