New Member Colorado

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I was always hesitant to get a Vmax since being introduced to a yellow model in 94 by a coworker who would brag so much that I was scared of it! I now know why haha! I didn't realize then, but I wasn't ready to respect it with self control!

I'm recently coming from a 00 Indian Chief which is a beautiful machine, but I've never been as happy as I have been from the moment of getting an 03 VMax 6 weeks ago! There is just soo much about it that is non-negotiable for me forevermore. I just didn't know what I didn't know!!!! I love it and am not going back!

Anyway, I've been lurking on the forums here for a while now and am impressed by the welcoming and sharing aspects of the community. I am honored to now be a part of it and hope to be able to contribute at least a small percentage as much as I benefit.

Is your Indian a Gilroy CA model w/the S&S engine, or is it a 'bottlecap' cyl head/valve cover which I think was from the NC time for Indian?

It is a Gilroy CA model with the S&S. Gilroy did the bottlecap/Powerplus motor from 02-04 before going bankrupt.
I was shopping at an IKEA one day, here in So. FL, and I saw an older fellow (like me!) walking around with a beautiful leather jacket with an Indian insignia embroidered on it. I asked him, "do you have an Indian?" and that was the start of a very interesting conversation.

He was the court-appointed liquidator for the bankrupt Indian business. He referenced me to a website, which held many court documents, including a list of all the debtors owed $. There were many other documents, and it was almost like a Harvard Business School case-study.

I bought a VMax from a retired Army officer, and he also owned a H-D 45 WLA which had been chopped. He also had a 'bottlecap' Indian, the bike was gorgeous. The VMax I got from him hadn't been run in years, it didn't take much to make it operable, and I had a friend do a bit of painting it needed, and then it was sold to a guy who shipped it to So. America. I delivered it to his trans-shipment point, and onto a cargo container ship it went.

I was shopping at an IKEA one day, here in So. FL, and I saw an older fellow (like me!) walking around with a beautiful leather jacket with an Indian insignia embroidered on it. I asked him, "do you have an Indian?" and that was the start of a very interesting conversation.

He was the court-appointed liquidator for the bankrupt Indian business. He referenced me to a website, which held many court documents, including a list of all the debtors owed $. There were many other documents, and it was almost like a Harvard Business School case-study.

I bought a VMax from a retired Army officer, and he also owned a H-D 45 WLA which had been chopped. He also had a 'bottlecap' Indian, the bike was gorgeous. The VMax I got from him hadn't been run in years, it didn't take much to make it operable, and I had a friend do a bit of painting it needed, and then it was sold to a guy who shipped it to So. America. I delivered it to his trans-shipment point, and onto a cargo container ship it went.
That was an interesting conversation indeed! I was so disappointed when they went under and that I didn't get the chance to get the 'bottlecap' model. However, time has proven to be better for me with the S&S regarding sourcing parts and keeping it running. Indian pretty much abandoned anything Gilroy since Polaris took over.

Fun fact with mine is I got it specifically because I wanted a great 2up so my wife would enjoy it with me. She never wanted to go.... After all these years, I get the Vmax and she wants to ride all of the time!!! It is a win win machine and the big old beautiful Indian is just pretty furniture Haha!

Hello everyone,

I was always hesitant to get a Vmax since being introduced to a yellow model in 94 by a coworker who would brag so much that I was scared of it! I now know why haha! I didn't realize then, but I wasn't ready to respect it with self control!

I'm recently coming from a 00 Indian Chief which is a beautiful machine, but I've never been as happy as I have been from the moment of getting an 03 VMax 6 weeks ago! There is just soo much about it that is non-negotiable for me forevermore. I just didn't know what I didn't know!!!! I love it and am not going back!

Anyway, I've been lurking on the forums here for a while now and am impressed by the welcoming and sharing aspects of the community. I am honored to now be a part of it and hope to be able to contribute at least a small percentage as much as I benefit.
Hi, welcome in. Im in Denver, where in our great state are you?

Back