new tire

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rollin thunder

Reaction score
I called my local cycle store to see if they can put a Shenko tire on my max and they said they wont put them on cause they are a pain and trouble . they said around here they call then shitko ,so I guess i may go with an inexpensive tire like a dunlop 404 .i put 500to 1000 miles a season so they will last a while .Has anyone else had problems getting shenkos mounted?.:bang head:

^ No Problems for me, I have used the Shinko TM 230 for my last 3 Rear Tires.
My Local Dealer and a Local Bike Shop have mounted mine without any issues.
It just sounds like your guy doesn't know how to mount a Tire properly or that he wants you to buy a Tire that he stocks.
I'd just go to someone else to get it mounted.

PS
The Dunlop D404 I had on mine was the Worst Tire I have ever had on my Max.
I rode it a few hundred miles to get home them promptly did a Massive Tire Shredding Burnout, so I could mount a Shinko.

PSS
Here are some Preferred motorcycle superstore Tire Installers near Rochester:
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/PreferredInstallerLocator.aspx?ZipCode=14602

Last edited:
Mount it yourself using zip ties and soapy water if you want the shinkos . You remove and install same way. No damage to wheel.
You tube it it will show you how. I Did both mine it was a piece of cake.

Wow !.The guy told me he tried for an hour and couldnt get the tire to hold air so he wont mount them.He said they have alot of plastic in them.

Many guys on here including myself run shinkos. The guy has tunnel vision =head so far up his ass he's looking through his dick..

^ No Problems for me, I have used the Shinko TM 230 for my last 3 Rear Tires.
My Local Dealer and a Local Bike Shop have mounted mine without any issues.
It just sounds like your guy doesn't know how to mount a Tire properly or that he wants you to but a Tire that he stocks.
I'd just go to someone else to get it mounted.

PS
The Dunlop D404 I had on mine was the Worst Tire I have ever had on my Max.
I rode it a few hundred miles to get home them promptly did a Massive Tire Shredding Burnout, so I could mount a Shinko.

PSS
Here are some Preferred motorcycle superstore Tire Installers near Rochester:
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/PreferredInstallerLocator.aspx?ZipCode=14602
I have owned two bikes and they both had the dunlop 404 and they seem ok but i have only run the 404 .

Shinkos dont have a long tread life I hear too.
They last about as Long as Any V-Rated Tire I have ever used on my Max in the last 12 years, around 4500-5000 Miles.
But they cost about 1/2 as much as most other tires that fit our Bike.
And they are the Definitely Stickiest most confidence inspiring Tire I have ever used on the Rear of my VMax.

I did just buy a BridgeStone Exedra Max to test out next spring just to see how well it does compared to the Shinko for Grip and Longevity.

D404's are fine for Low Power Cruisers but just can't handle teh HP/Torque of a VMax.
The one I used (due to a Flat rear hundreds of miles from home) was like riding on Soap, I would slip out on me anytime I cornered and would Break-Loose (Spin) anytime I cracked the throttle.

Many guys on here including myself run shinkos. The guy has tunnel vision =head so far up his ass he's looking through his dick..
Man ! ,thats funny .He may be trying to sell me a more expensive tire .I have another dealer near me i may call them and see if they can install a shinko tire.

These are the only ones I know of that were Stock on a Gen 1 Vmax:
Dunlop Qualifier F20 and K525
BridgeStone Exedra G525 and G526

i've seen a 120 front TM take up to 60-70 to pop the bead but otherwise no issues mounting them on stock wheels.

Sounds like a good tire to me.I saw the u tube video on how taking the tire off and was wondering ,is how hard it is to get air into the tire ?.I have an air compressor but how do you balance the tire?.

Sounds like a good tire to me.I saw the u tube video on how taking the tire off and was wondering ,is how hard it is to get air into the tire ?.I have an air compressor but how do you balance the tire?.
Its not hard at all may take some working . As far as balancing bring the wheels to a shop & have them balance them.

what size air compressor? a ratchet strap should be enough to seat the bead otherwise a bead of dishwashing liquid as a last resort.

a HF balancer and some motion pro weights are about $55 or so.

Latest posts

Back