No more Avon Tyres for me

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QuarterHorse

Reaction score
Well I will NOT put another Avon tire back on the bike. I've been pricing tires this fall, as when I got the bike in July, it was in need of a tire. I did ONE burnout with the bike, and it started to almost blister the tire in the center, so I thought no more 'till the end of the riding season and then I'll smoke it out with getting a cool pic.
Flash to this morning. I went over to a buddies house to go ride down to Chariton Iowa (about an hour south of me). As I walk out of his garage, I notice somthing shiney on my back tire in the wear spot. Yup, chords. I was FUMING!!!! Do you think anybody had ANYTHING in stock other than a Dunslop!? PFFFFFFT no. So, no ride for me today, as it's mid 70's in OCTOBER!!!! I'm so forkin' mad right now. I honestly thought I could get by with just riding the damn thing out the rest of the year. Guess not.
I ordered a Metzler ME880, mounting, tax, out the door was 180.XX. I paid for it all already, I just have to bring 'em my wheel and they'll swap it out.

You will find out that ridden hard the Vmax will eat tire after tire.3000 miles is a marathon on mine.

The main problem is that it burns as you are accelerating all the time without you really knowing that it is.

Even after switching to radials my rear tires are disappearing very quickly.

The metz 880 with last longer than the avon.My avon did the same thing.Oops its gone.too soft. 1200 miles or something.My 880 went for 3000 before the cords showed.

Last edited:
Gotcha. I got 2K miles on it since the end of July when I got the bike. I could have used the tire then, but like I said, I wanted to wait 'till the bike was put away.
I don't beat on the bike too much, I would hope I could at least get a season out of a tire!?!?!?

A word of advice to all you burnout addicts. Oil is quickly heading to $100 a barrel and that means tyres are going to get very expensive. You may want to by a couple now and put them away for later?

Man you guys are Nutz:ummm:

What kind of burn outs are y'all doing?:rocket bike:

I was getting 7000-8000 out of the ME880 and that usually included 14 or 16 passes at the strip with a warmup burnout on each pass.

Not a "hey look at me" burnout but just enough to do the job.

Daily riding usually included at least one wheelie and some fairly hard to redline in first acceleration.

I can't imagine burning one up in 3000 miles unless it was doing some kind of extended burnout video or something.

Rusty

I'll be happy to get 2K out of my Shinko street slick when I'm up and going. This thing is sooooo soft, you can press a coin all the way through what tread is on there, and it leaves the indention for good.

For $75-$100 per 200/50/17, I didn't expect a 10K tour radial though.

:cheers:

Neil

I was getting 7000-8000 out of the ME880 and that usually included 14 or 16 passes at the strip with a warmup burnout on each pass.

Daily riding usually included at least one wheelie and some fairly hard to redline in first acceleration.

I can't imagine burning one up in 3000 miles unless it was doing some kind of extended burnout video or something.

Rusty

Rusty, I did mine on black top for only 20 seconds. Don't do burnouts on asphault. :)

Mark

Rusty

I like your answer better. :D

Like I said before,Just getting it, smokes the tire without you even knowing it. I never burn my tire for something to do.

I just like to get it most of the time!!!!

To me ,thats what riding a Vmax is all about!!!!!!!

If I wanted gas mileage and tire life I could ride a moped.

Like I said before,Just getting it, smokes the tire without you even knowing it. I never burn my tire for something to do.

I just like to get it most of the time!!!!

To me ,thats what riding a Vmax is all about!!!!!!!

If I wanted gas mileage and tire life I could ride a moped.

Very true

Haha I guess I fall somewhere between the two. I'm not ALWAYS getting after the bike, but a lot of the time I am. Also depends on who I'm riding with.

Back