No More V-Max?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m-cman

Alien Abductee
Reaction score
Just got a text from a friend that has a 2010 Max. Said that this is last year of production. Being replaced by the new triple... Anyone else hear about this? :confused2:

Doubt it. The triple is small, doesn't make as much power, and, and, and,...

They may not redesign the vmax motor, but I don't think they'll quit making them.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

Yeah, that part didn't make any sense to me either. Except possibly replacing one standard with another. I thought the triple was replacing the inline 4 standards. I know the Max wasn't selling that well but thought that was to be expected because of the price and intended market. It shouldn't be that much of a problem to keep it in production since the development costs should be absorbed by now. It is kind of an icon bike for Yamaha.

Just got a text from a friend that has a 2010 Max. Said that this is last year of production. Being replaced by the new triple... Anyone else hear about this? :confused2:
Ask him for the article....

They may not redesign the vmax motor, but I don't think they'll quit making them.
That's what I'd think too.
As stated above there are no additional manufacturing costs, so I don't see any reason they wouldn't continue producing them.

The FZ8 is being replaced by a Triple FZ9 or some designation.
The Vmax is Unreplacable.......

I believe it was a 2014 model in the lineup at Fayettevilles' Bikes, Blues & BBQ festival, that Yamaha Corp included in their test rides a couple weekends ago.

i don't think they mix and match the 'yamaha' and 'star' lines anyways.

The replacement bike for the FZ8 if the FZ-09 triple. I saw one at my local dealership, the salesman told me it's very torquy a good wheelie machine if that's what a guy is into.

The '87 was 'not' in the USA lineup. I could see them stopping production if they had an 8 month supply in warehouses. That could happen again.

Then-again, I could also see them reducing the production until the inventory was low, like 60 days' worth. Marketing is usually a closely-kept secret.

Stopping production entirely, never to re-start? No, I don't think-so. It's a 'halo' bike, it draws people into the showroom to see it and then they buy a cruiser of smaller-displacement, a sportbike, or whatever-else is on the floor.

The '87 was 'not' in the USA lineup. I could see them stopping production if they had an 8 month supply in warehouses. That could happen again.

Then-again, I could also see them reducing the production until the inventory was low, like 60 days' worth. Marketing is usually a closely-kept secret.

Stopping production entirely, never to re-start? No, I don't think-so. It's a 'halo' bike, it draws people into the showroom to see it and then they buy a cruiser of smaller-displacement, a sportbike, or whatever-else is on the floor.

Yes. Despite relatively modest sales numbers Yamaha considers the Vmax their "Flagship" motorcycle.

They spent over ten years developing the new Vmax, and the motor architecture is almost certainly destined to be in a new model of the Venture. You don't invest that much in a new power plant and just write it off. You invent new ways to use it.

Not only will the Vmax stay, but I will be watching for a new V4 sportbike! (Hint! Hint!)

I think you underestimate the thinking of a large company. We spend millions of dollars in our aircraft plant only to change our mind and rip stuff back out to move it to another location just to save a couple of bucks or just because they don't like the way it's working.

We spend over 200 million on a new program to get buildings made and engineering work (on a new wide body cessna) and then just decided to shit can the program. This year alone we will be taking a 900 million dollar loss on some programs.

So, Yamaha could easily decide to crap can the program if someone high enough up said to do it. They can take all they have learned and implement it into another bike. Besides, Yamaha is not getting rich off the Vmax.

Did they ever? In any given year, I mean. I thought it was a moderately successful in any given year but a constant draw throughout.

I think you underestimate the thinking of a large company. We spend millions of dollars in our aircraft plant only to change our mind and rip stuff back out to move it to another location just to save a couple of bucks or just because they don't like the way it's working.

We spend over 200 million on a new program to get buildings made and engineering work (on a new wide body cessna) and then just decided to shit can the program. This year alone we will be taking a 900 million dollar loss on some programs.

So, Yamaha could easily decide to crap can the program if someone high enough up said to do it. They can take all they have learned and implement it into another bike. Besides, Yamaha is not getting rich off the Vmax.

What Yamaha wrote about the VMax:

98.jpg

99.jpg

Of course anything is possible......but Yamaha loves this bike, it's an icon of the entire company. "A company treasure" they call it. They don't care if they are making money on them IMO.....plenty of other bikes rake in the dough.

I think we have a poor understanding of the Vmax's international success in the States. We have a tremendous market with every flavor imaginable. Europe has a far greater following of the Vmax than we have seen in North America.

What Yamaha wrote about the VMax:

View attachment 40227

View attachment 40228

Of course anything is possible......but Yamaha loves this bike, it's an icon of the entire company. "A company treasure" they call it. They don't care if they are making money on them IMO.....plenty of other bikes rake in the dough.

I tried a quick google but didn't come up with it. What is the name of the book your pics are from?

I think we have a poor understanding of the Vmax's international success in the States. We have a tremendous market with every flavor imaginable. Europe has a far greater following of the Vmax than we have seen in North America.

That's true.

And people should not be confused with what their local dealer may know about, or feel about a VMax. That's no reflection on how Yamaha corporate feels aboiut the bike and it's history. They hold it and it's owners in very high esteem.

Latest posts

Back