VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I found a black and orange pair under the seat, but I couldn't tell which side went to the pickup and which side went on to the ignition, so I checked both sides. One side was open and the other side was 220 Ohms.

They both go to the pick-up - the orange wire is getting a feed from the ignition unit and the back is the return to earth.

Which wire gave the 220 ohm reading?

Not sure, I thought I was supposed to check the resistance across the circuit, across the orange and black. So I checked orange to black on the male plug and orange to black on the female plug. Not sure which was which, tho.

Looks like I can get a stator with a pickup coil for half what the coil by itself costs. IF the coil proves to be bad, is there any reason I should avoid replacing the stator too?

HI ... if You have still problem with sparks try remove small relay located around frame head, before ignition unit (on left side) and try start engine, if start working You can drive without this relay it's a part of safety system (prevent start engine on gear and on side stand open).
I fight for 3 days with "sparky problem" and finally I find it accidently. funnet think is my relay drop on the floor accidently and since this time it start working well :) so if You have same problem just hit relay to floor ;)

Best Regards
ps. Lot of people on this forum post lot of B/S ... Guys ... it's not F/Facebook!!!! This forum is for HELP other people .... so please if YOU and only YOU do something and it works ... post this knowledge .... if SOMEBODY tell you it shoud work this way ... post it on fairy tale forum .. :)

Hoo-boy, this forum has worked exceedingly-well before this prior-post mud-slinger came-along. People on here have refrained from flaming each-other, but you are due for some, "newbie!"

A stuck set of points knocked-free when you ham-fistedly dropped it on the floor, and "fixed" it is nothing to congratulate yourself-over. I am glad it was a cheap-fix, a serendipitous one at-that. But, for your own good, I suggest you immediately stop with the condemnation of who posts on-here. We know whom to take with a 'grain of salt' for what they post, but hearing this from a one-time-poster, just go-back to wherever they tolerated your accusations. Leave us alone to our b.s. I never asked for anyone to be banned, but there could be a first. Frankly you owe the entire forum a prompt apology, and if it isn't immediately forthcoming, I hope we never see another of your posts. :damn angry::damn angry::damn angry::damn angry::damn angry::damn angry:

ps. Lot of people on this forum post lot of B/S ... Guys ... it's not F/Facebook!!!! This forum is for HELP other people .... so please if YOU and only YOU do something and it works ... post this knowledge .... if SOMEBODY tell you it shoud work this way ... post it on fairy tale forum .. :)

With you being new to the forum...are you CERTAIN that this is the attitude that you need to have?

There are a LOT of people on this forum that have DECADES of experience with bikes. Naturally after that amount of time, you will hear about something that might work on a problem. There are people on this forum that I would TRUST to give me the right info...even if it was something that they heard.

Just my thoughts.

Not sure I like the idea of bypassing a safety anyway; I'd rather fix the real problem.

Moving right along, I FINALLY got a manual and confirmed that I have been checking the right thing. I get an open circuit to the pickup coil, and no voltage from the other side (when on and in neutral).

Not sure I like the idea of bypassing a safety anyway; I'd rather fix the real problem.

Moving right along, I FINALLY got a manual and confirmed that I have been checking the right thing. I get an open circuit to the pickup coil, and no voltage from the other side (when on and in neutral).

As Kyle said, the problem could be a broken wire at the engine side-case-cover grommet for the pick-up coil wire; you might try flexing the cable at the pick-up coil through-case grommet, and have your multimeter set on 'audible' to give you a generated tone when the circuit is complete. You might luck-out and discover you just need to splice a broken wire. The next problem is how-to seal the grommet/wire assembly back together so it won't piss oil all over, or be a continuous dripping leak. Lots of guys have had problems with that grommet, and that's before cutting it up to repair a parted-wire. An open circuit on the leads from the pick-up coil is indicative of the likelihood of an expensive replacement, if it isn't just a broken wire.

The pick-up coil is $$$, good luck! I've had two go-bad on me.

Ok Guys ... I say Too much .... I would apologize all person who feel touched with it ...
I hope You Guys feel better now .. ( its no place to explaining why I say that - long story) ... Sorry again

Thanks.

It looks like it's a bad pickup coil afterall. I'm gonna need a new gasket for that alternator cover too, right?

Hoo-boy, this forum has worked exceedingly-well before this prior-post mud-slinger came-along. People on here have refrained from flaming each-other, but you are due for some, "newbie!"

A stuck set of points knocked-free when you ham-fistedly dropped it on the floor, and "fixed" it is nothing to congratulate yourself-over. I am glad it was a cheap-fix, a serendipitous one at-that. But, for your own good, I suggest you immediately stop with the condemnation of who posts on-here. We know whom to take with a 'grain of salt' for what they post, but hearing this from a one-time-poster, just go-back to wherever they tolerated your accusations. Leave us alone to our b.s. I never asked for anyone to be banned, but there could be a first. Frankly you owe the entire forum a prompt apology, and if it isn't immediately forthcoming, I hope we never see another of your posts. :damn angry::damn angry::damn angry::damn angry::damn angry::damn angry:
+1, pm sent

Ok Guys ... I say Too much .... I would apologize all person who feel touched with it ...
I hope You Guys feel better now .. ( its no place to explaining why I say that - long story) ... Sorry again

New comers usually introduce themselfs in the thread provided. That was some
entrance. Always lead with your chin? :hmmm:
Steve-o

So... Should I need to drain the oil before I take off the alternator cover? The Hayne's manual didn't mention anything like that, but I've got a lot of oil leaking out of there.

Also, it won't come off. I've taken out all the bolts, and I can get it to shift so I know the gasket isn't stuck very much, but it just won't pull off. I'm reluctant to bang on it or anything, but I can't figure out what's holding it on.

I don't think it will leak much if you tip it to the right side and lean it on a jack stand or whatever. You can hit the cover a bit with a mallet until it sounds hollow. Then it should pull off. The rubber grommet that holds the wires can make it sticky.

New pickup coil is in, but it's still not running. I did get a bone-rattling backfire (exhaust) when I first tried to start it, so it looks like I'm actually getting a spark, now.

Pretty sure it's a bad battery, cuz it'd turn over a time or two, but that was it, even with the fast-charge jumper. It's been on a maintainer this whole time, but I suppose an old enough battery could go bad even on a trickle-charger, so we'll see if a new one helps.

Ah, I didn't think the stock setup wasted a spark. Thanks. Still, if it misses on a compression stroke, and there's fuel left, and it fires on the exhaust stroke, wouldn't that backfire? Not real important, just curious.

Steve-O, so you mean that they might all stop firing even if only one coil is ba
No, It's possible for any number to be bad or fire. I'd do the resistance check on the coills and the pick up first.

Back