Now this is a REAL fork brace

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firefly

Reaction score
This is the brace I want!!!!!!! see attachment, this is how a brace should be
not the ones that are currently available for the max.
I just talked to the manufacturer in New zealand and he says if I give him exact dimensions he will be able to make one for the max. anyone from New zealand here???
I am sure a good machinist can make one that mounts like this one.(holds inside and out)
________

Attachments

• smoothfork.jpg
    smoothfork.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 311
  • narrowfork.jpg
    narrowfork.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 245
Last edited:
firefly said:
I just talked to the manufacturer in New zealand and he says if I give him exact dimensions he will be able to make one for the max. anyone from New zealand here???
I am sure a good machinist can make one that mounts like this one.(holds inside and out)

I think frame braces are better for handling than a fork brace.I had solid mounts first and it still flexed the frame in real high power turns.It does not now.

shawn kloker said:
I think frame braces are better for handling than a fork brace.I had solid mounts first and it still flexed the frame in real high power turns.It does not now.

The only thing about the frame braces is they look out of place on the bike. MEK has a nice set but its $500 or so, is it worth the money? will it really stiffen up the frame? I also heard form Eric H that solid engine mounts cause many bolts to become loose from the increased frame vibration. the engine was not designed to be a stressed member so making it so might crack the case in a big pothole (I think) correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited:
I agree with firefly, I don't like the looks of frame braces. I'd rather see a properly designed frame or some other bracing that doesn't go right across the motor.

firefly said:
The only thing about the frame braces is they look out of place on the bike. MEK has a nice set but its $500 or so, is it worth the money? will it really stiffen up the frame? I also heard form Eric H that solid engine mounts cause many bolts to become loose from the increased frame vibration. the engine was not designed to be a stressed member so making it so might crack the case in a big pothole (I think) correct me if I am wrong.

I don't know about cracking cases and bolts working loose. I've had the solids in mine for a lot of years now as well as many of the bikes we work on. I live on two miles of the crappiest dirt roads you can find and don't ride 20 mph on them. I ride at normal highway speeds and ride the bike over the bumps like a bronco at times. I've never had an issue with them.

Sean Morley

Can someone give their opinion as to how much the frame braces help/don't help during day to day (less spirited) riding? Are they a must have?

Thanks.

Jayhawk said:
Can someone give their opinion as to how much the frame braces help/don't help during day to day (less spirited) riding? Are they a must have?

Thanks.

I have no experience with frame braces but I ride daily & hard all I can say is that if you have front racetech , good stock hight shocks, re-torqued steering nut and have metzler 880 tires you don't need any frame bracing at all even with spirited hard riding.
The must have mod is racetech springs and emulators with one inch internal lowering, this will firm up the bike's handling 85% next is Works shocks then metzler 880 stock size tires.
You will have a sweet handling fast bike!

Last edited:
Jay,I highly recomend frame braces first.I don't care what anyone tells you,vmax frames flex under heavy load in turns.I put solid mounts in mine first wich was better but it still flexed 120-130 .Frame braces cured this on mine ,I had already changed every bearing in the bike too.It was not swingarm slop.I also braced my swingarm.

shawn kloker said:
Jay,I highly recomend frame braces first.I don't care what anyone tells you,vmax frames flex under heavy load in turns.I put solid mounts in mine first wich was better but it still flexed 120-130 .Frame braces cured this on mine ,I had already changed every bearing in the bike too.It was not swingarm slop.I also braced my swingarm.

Jay,

Here I will have to respectfully disagree with Shawn in regards to what to install 1st. I do however totally agree that V-Max frames flex.

I also have solid mounts, and have had frame braces. I will take the solid mounts over frame braces any day.

This really comes down to YOU the rider. Do not take my opinion as the gospel as to what YOU should use. I found what works for me for my style of riding. My suggestion "Try it and see.".

I do not think that you will regret the decision to install one or the other, or both. It leads to a better ride.

My .02? (Euro Cents)

firefly said:
Where are you going to mount this brace if and when you get one??? This brace is for the upper tubes and won't give you what you're wishing for. I thought we were going to go by what has been proven to be fact and NOT by individual's likes and hopes. Many posts on this and other forums ask if many "fixes" will be worth the money since they DO NOT go all out in the twisties. People still answer what would be the BEST possible fix to make it a carver. Pay attention to what others want and NOT what you want. Before you believe Eric H (wannabe master mechanic), go by what Sean Morley has experienced since he's familiar with many mods and is truthful in his replies without the need to make himself seem bigger than life. Nothing wrong with opinions but it should be stated as such and not like it is THE fix for every problem. This note concerns all of us and if we want to be different from the Yahoo's, we should deal in factual matters as much as possible. I love my cruiser bars but would NEVER suggest that this mod is for others or better than drag bars or what have you. Aforementioned braces are meant for choppers with extended front ends and not for any stock bike.......other than maybe show/dressup.

IMHO

The fork brace is one of the last things that should be done.Here where I live and ride in western Pa. It is all hills and turns.About the same as in Johnstown PA.Some one who lives in the large flatlands from Mid ohio west probably does not need to worry about frame flex.I like to haul ass most of the time.Even weaving between cars on the highway used to give me flex.Like I said solid mounts was better but it still did it at higher speeds.It does not now.
The stock frame probably is fine for most but it was not for me.I like to try to lose the sportbikes in the twisties.They really shit when you do.

Erich Harnish has forgotten more than 99% on this know. Sean Morley is the other 1%.

maleko89 said:
Erich Harnish has forgotten more than 99% on this know. Sean Morley is the other 1%.
Not meant as argumentative, but you apparently don't know much about the principles of mechanics and so believe all the mumbo jumbo Eric has to offer. I'll take the word of a straight shooter before I believe in someone that talks a lot but doesn't say anything of substance. You sound like you would be more comfortable on the other side of the tracks where all the brains are. Just a suggestion and no slander towards you. By chance, are you the one who boasted that engineers are way overrated? Just curious, that's all. Hey, it's a free country and you can believe all Eric says and I'll put my money on Sean (whose not a bull shitter), fair enough? We just have two different opinions.

I admit, I'm a rookie when working on the bike. I have disagreed with Harnish in the past due to my experience. For the stuff he mentions that I don't understand, I stay out of. Eric has actually called me up to help me out. I know his credentials and have seen his some of his bikes, cars, etc....he knows his shit whether you believe it or not. Rather than complain about people of the other list who aren't here to answer toyour accusations, why not email or talk to them?

I'm on both sides of the tracks. I learn and help from both.

Nice try at the engineer jab. Wasn't me by the way.

Shawn and Mark, I'm NOT trying to be a shit disturber but have dealt with mechanics my whole life and know when someone makes up stuff that isn't real or is untrue. Eric knows a LOT more about the Max than I will ever hope to or want to, I know that to be factual. There are many in the VMOA that know the Max better than me but few have studied mechanics and know it's real workings. I have heard Eric many times make statements that are false with no one to challenge him. This is not a healthy place to gain knowledge. I'm totally in awe that there isn't one guy that understands the workings of the carbs on the Max in detail. That no one ever did engine work increasing it's cc to 1500, ON THEIR OWN. This is all about mechanics, not just turning a few screws and installing an air filter to get better breathing. The Old Man knows about as much as anybody in the VMOA and not even he knows why the Max carbs are so touchy and suggests a Chevron additive in the tank. That's not solving any problems and the carbs DO have a problem in them that nobody is able to address.

As far as the engineer thing goes, some bright flame on the Yahoo list exclaimed that they are so overrated. This is the problem with dealing with people that have no idea what they themselves don't know and can't comprehend the reality that there is much more to learn than what they themselves know. If it weren't for engineers, we would still be running around with a spear in our hands. Most everything depends on engineering of one kind or another. I stuck my neck out and took a lot of criticism on the Furbur fix because it needed to be brought out into the open and looked at by all. The conclusion was that a $10 washer didn't fix anything because the slop in the bearings was the real culprit. Alls well that ends well. No doubt people are still paying $10 for a .25c washer. What can I say? :confused2:

mikemax04 said:
Lee, is that .02? (Euro Cents) worth more than .02 in USD? :confused2: :eek:hyeah00:

Today's exchange $1 = ?0.76

or

?1 = $1.30

So to answer your question. YES.

?0.02 = $0.026

...and I am not even an engineer! :hihi:

OK, I always love to get in the middle of stuff like this (not really). However, having met Eric H. personally (and almost getting into a fist fight with him - which is another story) I would say that most of his comments do have merit. Though he and Don "old man" Smith tend to take their comments to the extreme and tell you that their way is the best or only way to do something.

When I speak up, it is from my experiences - good and bad - and sometimes it is easier for a person to learn the hard way. However, I do try and tell them what can be done whether it is the best way or not and try to justify why I say that.

So - I have personally removed the ugly assed superbraces from all of my personal bikes. It's not that they don't work as I'm sure they do. I just think they are about the ugliest things I have ever seen.

If you want a fork brace, I like the looks of the one MEK (I think it is) makes which looks very similar to stock though thicker and more accuarately made. I have one on my ex wifes Vmax and one on another friends bike. ON my own bike I simply have a stock brace (haven't run into another one of the overseas ones yet).

The one that was discussed isn't all that bad but generally speaking isn't made to be the structurally strongest since it has the hump in it. This is where you are going to have some flex. For example, take a piece of flat stock and try to flex it around. Even try to bend it. Now, take that same piece and put a bend in it first. Now (depending on your strength and the type and thickness of the material), try bending it again. It will bend much more easily this time.

There are only a handfull of people who can even ride the vmax to anywhere near it's potential and most are not in here (including me). However, I do ride it pretty darn close and have not found any huge weaknesses that prevent me from keeping up with 99% of anyone (including the sportbike guys) even in it's stock form.

I do like the solid mounts and have used them for a very long time. I have not found it to be an issue as far as bolts loosening up or even increases vibration issues. I am not sure how the frame flexes with them in place though anything is possible. Another area that is ofter overlooked that can be improved is the removable frame section. You can dowel pin the frame section on and then simply use a smaller bolt to keep the frame section in. This removes some potential slop in that assembly. I don't personally every worry about it but someone who wants to achieve the maximun resluts will do that modification.

The frame braces I am sure work as well but without doing some scientific testing (expensive but possible) there is no real way of saying it is better then the solid mounts. The frame braces do reach above the mounts and triangulate the frame in areas the soilid mounts can't and vice versa. In fact, the best thing would be to use both of them.

Now, one thing to keep in mind is that some chassis flex is desired to maintain long life of the structure. You can make it super rigid if you want but the chances of introducing cracks increase since the "shock absorption" of the flex was removed. This is one of the big things they found early on in airframes. Too rigid is unforgiving and leads to cracking. With different materials you can go more rigid but of course the material and design have a lot to do with it.

Most people here would be better off taking a course that increases their skills which would get them closer to using up the bikes full potential.

Sean Morley

Back