Oil cooler

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hans2001max

Reaction score
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has tried to install an external oil cooler on their Vmax (1985-2006)? I was thinking maybe the Baron oil cooler diverter kit might work on the Vmax. Although there may be an interference problem with the frame. It is designed for the Road Star.

Any others out there that might work?

Anyhow, I was just wondering....I would like to put one on my 2001.

Thanks

Hans

exactrep sells some. why do you want one tho?

I have one off an old XS 650 (upgraded recently to an 1100) there should be pics around somewhere
The most difficult part is fitting the adapter plate behind the filter

I should clean my bike :biglaugh:
IMAG0397-1.jpg

IMAG0395-1.jpg

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has tried to install an external oil cooler on their Vmax (1985-2006)? I was thinking maybe the Baron oil cooler diverter kit might work on the Vmax. Although there may be an interference problem with the frame. It is designed for the Road Star.

Any others out there that might work?

Anyhow, I was just wondering....I would like to put one on my 2001.

Thanks

Hans
http://japan.webike.net/products/1538275.html There are some real nice looking ones out there.Don't know how good they work though:ummm:

I've seen generic spin-on filter diverters designed for either extra oiling accessories(turbos, ect), or for a cooler. Seems like there's only 2 or 3 different kinds of MC spin ons out there on imports.....can't imagine it's too hard to find one for the Vmax. Not like it uses a weird specialty filter or anything.

I'm more curious as why you want one. Can't hurt things, but a tiny free-air cooler won't do much of anything to reducing engine temp....kind of seems like a waste of time....you've already got a coolant system and fan, which is far, far more efficient. Usually only see oil coolers on otherwise air-cooled bike engines that tend to run much hotter.

Thanks for the replies and pics. I have not measured the temps of my oil, but I figured that cooler oil could not hurt. My bike runs HOT in the summer. It doesn't overheat, but in stop and go traffic at 105 degrees ambient temp, that temp gauge sure looks like it's gonna max out!

Anyway, thanks again.

That's not real unusual. The stock fan switch kicks on at about 220*, which is also pretty much right at the red line on the temp gauge.

Many people install a lower temp fan switch, it's the fan switch for like an '86 Sentra or something fits right in and trips the fan at 190* or so instead.

I have the original temp switch and just put a manual bypass switch instead (just short the two wires that plug into the sensor). Get into traffic, turn the fan on. I've been idling along in traffic at 90* ambient, fan running constantly and it holds the temp right around 190-195. My stock temp gauge does nothing anymore, I put in a real gauge with numbers on it.

There's also an aluminum "high flow" fan blade out there, forget who makes it. My bike came with one, can't complain, though I have no idea if it's really any better than the stock plastic one.

That's not real unusual. The stock fan switch kicks on at about 220*, which is also pretty much right at the red line on the temp gauge.

Many people install a lower temp fan switch, it's the fan switch for like an '86 Sentra or something fits right in and trips the fan at 190* or so instead.

I have the original temp switch and just put a manual bypass switch instead (just short the two wires that plug into the sensor). Get into traffic, turn the fan on. I've been idling along in traffic at 90* ambient, fan running constantly and it holds the temp right around 190-195. My stock temp gauge does nothing anymore, I put in a real gauge with numbers on it.

There's also an aluminum "high flow" fan blade out there, forget who makes it. My bike came with one, can't complain, though I have no idea if it's really any better than the stock plastic one.

I believe Muzzy makes the fan you are thinking of, but don't quote me.

http://japan.webike.net/products/1538275.html There are some real nice looking ones out there.Don't know how good they work though
uhm00000.gif
That one looks a lot like the one Exactrep sells. When I went to make sure, I found this. If you think you Monkey needs to ice down the Max maybe this Big Radiator Kit is up your alley

big-radiator-kit-blk.JPG

I think mines kickin in somewhere around mid range on the temp gauge--not really sure, so don't dig into me if it doesn't make sense. I don't pay too much mind on the temp guage, just an occasionaly glance now and again like when my thighs are SCREAMING for mercy at the stop lights in the Florida sun. hehehehe. and even then the needle is right there 'tween mid and red (again I can't be entirely too sure, but it's around there)

I should have one in my cabinet. Never did install it, and after funning around on the bike for a while, don't know if I ever will. If you want and if I can find it, PM me.

Ra, I'm very curious as to what you've done for the temp gauge. Got pics and specs?

I've read mixed reviews, but nothing that has convinced me that this is a must-have.

Contrary to popular belief, unless your running a oil cooled engine like the gen I Gixxers an oil cooler is not going to be cooling your engine to any noticeable effects. What it does, however, keep the oil at a normal-ish temp to help prevent viscosity breakdown. Unless your turbo'd, road racing, or live in a place where you have alot of high temps or stop and go traffic, I wouldn't worry about it. Just match your oil to your riding conditions (style, location's temp) and you will be just fine.

I ran one on my XS to scrub off some excess oil temp of the air cooled engine. It seemed to do a nice job when I sent the before cooler and after cooler oil in to be tested.

Have to admit though, when installed on a Vmax, they do add to the muscle bike appearance. If I had the extra $$ to burn, I'd get one of the euro made ones.

Last edited:
My Seca Turbo has one but thats to help cool the oil after the turbo get's it nice and hot!

Cooler is only effective when bike is moving right? In that case it's not gonna help in stop and go traffic

+1 on the fan switch, 88 Nissan Sentra (look it up online for actual part #). Even on 100 degree days and stopped in traffic my temp gauge never goes above half. The only down fall is that the fan runs almost all the time, even in fairly cool weather. This will cut down on the life of the fan, but I dont know by how much. Muzzy makes, or made, an aluminum fan blade, but from what I have read online, they dont do much. I don't think the oil cooler will do much besides add some bling.

Ra, I'm very curious as to what you've done for the temp gauge. Got pics and specs?

See here....

It's an ebay special. Chinese made, but so far it's been holding up fine. Only quibble is that after a rainy ride or washing, a little moisture tends to get trapped behind the bezel, but park it in the sun for a bit and it goes away. Pretty straightforward installation, hardest part was figuring out how to wire it since the instructions were useless.

Reads from 70* to 250*, full sweep stepper drive needle. So on a hot day it lifts off the pin as soon as you turn the key on.

It's got this "smart" power thing. When you turn the key on, the gauge lights up, but the needle won't move and one of the buttons blinks. Once you start the motor(and raise it just off idle), I guess it detects the voltage is up that you've started it, and then jumps to the position. Who knows....

Back