Oil Filter Spring

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

godsend1

Reaction score
So, I'm changing the oil and notice there is no spring or washer. Does this mean the filter was being by-passed the entire time?

Also, I can't get the by-pass valve assy out of the cover. Is it really necessary to replace that o-ring?

So, I'm changing the oil and notice there is no spring or washer. Does this mean the filter was being by-passed the entire time?

Also, I can't get the by-pass valve assy out of the cover. Is it really necessary to replace that o-ring?

:ummm: I am guessing you are running old style oil filter and not a spin on filter since it says you have an 86?

Spring? What spring are you talking about. Help us out here so we can give some answers..

Really if you dont have a spinon oil filter type I would highly suggest you contact Tom at Cycleone about the adapter plate.

The cartridge oil filter is proceded by a washer and then spring...then cover. I wouldn't worry too much about it Tom, just replace. I ran w/o those parts for a year or so before realize something should be there. The bypass piece should unscrew from the cover. Maybe a clamp of some kind for the cover and then re-try.

There is a spring that goes between the cover and the filter that forces the filter tight up against the engine. If this was missing I would suppose the filter could move on the bolt and it could have blocked some of the passageways and/or oil may have bypassed the filter. It may affect oil pressure also. You need the spring and the washer that goes between the spring and filter or the spring could eat into the rubber grommet on the filter.

Thanks Don, had that back-asswards. I corrected my post.

You would be surprised at how many we take apart that are missing the washer. That doesn't even count the number of covers that were installed clocked wrong.

Sean

Sean chalk up another one, for no spring.:ummm:
When I got my 85 engine it didnt have a spring either. The orentation was obvious though.
I will tell you that them covers are stronger than the block :bang head:

You would be surprised at how many we take apart that are missing the washer. That doesn't even count the number of covers that were installed clocked wrong.

Sean

Agree, that's the reason why never did the spin-on conversion. That cover is tougher than an oil filter sticking out in the open. I do have one question...do spin on type filters have been filtration?

Agree, that's the reason why never did the spin-on conversion. That cover is tougher than an oil filter sticking out in the open. I do have one question...do spin on type filters have been filtration?

Good question Mark.
I only replaced mine with a spin on due to well you remember. :bang head:

My $500.00 engine went to 800.00 after that f up! 300.00 worth of heli arch welding on the block.
Still a 500.00 engine in my book screaming like a scolded dawg!!

The cartridge oil filter is proceded by a washer and then spring...then cover. I wouldn't worry too much about it Tom, just replace. I ran w/o those parts for a year or so before realize something should be there. The bypass piece should unscrew from the cover. Maybe a clamp of some kind for the cover and then re-try.

It just spins freely, when I try to push it out it clears the o-ring and then jams. I think I'll just leave well enough alone.
New spring and washer on the way.

Latest posts

Back