oil in radiator reservoir

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kingcastle

Reaction score
was messing with bike today still wondering about the gas spitting out, and checked my radiator reservoir and found it had oil in it, :bang head:, any ideas thanks

Clean it out and see if more forms. I would not worry about it much until you start getting a lot of build up or if the fluid is being pushed out when running hard.

Sean

oil in coolant will eat away at hoses and they will pop one day...better hope you're wearing thick pants. (dickies save me to a mild scalding)

if all the hoses have gone soft, replace them as a set - try an aftermarket set if you've got the cash (in hindsight i should have done this.)

final solution was to rebuild waterpump. easy to get to, no worries!

I walked out into the garage this morning and noticed oil in my reservoir as well. Weird the other day I noticed that there was a small puddle of antifreeze on the floor under the elbow... What do I need to do to fix this issue and is it a really major issue.. Kinda freaking out about it... Any help would be much appreciated.

Not likely a head gasket if it's not losing coolant. Either water pump (most likely) or even a cross joint oring in the cylinder heads (though that would normally leak coolant into the engine oil).

Sean

Coolant out the weep hole? I'd go with a water pump rebuild. Get the bearing changed while you're in there too. Not too expensive.
Steve-o

I appreciate all your responses..... I pulled off the coolant reservoir tonight and really there was only a few drops of oil in there... So I guess not too bad as of right now but something definitely not right. But level of coolant was down to the low level mark.. I will do some checking. I took off the radiator cap and no oil rising to the top.. I have not started in a week or so, so if there was too much build up I would see it when I cracked the cap, right??

That is correct. It could have some trapped in a hose or other chamber section in the block. BUT, a very small amount isn't anything I would be worried about.

Theres a "how to guide" on rebuilding the waterpump... GO look for it...

Yup, I just did my water pump. Had oil in the water. The ceramic bearing had a crack and the seal had failed. Cost nz$150 for parts and labour. Plus new coolant

Latest posts

Back