One cylinder "popping"

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In addition to that I got my Morgan carbtune kit delivered today. My carbs were waayyy out of sync. Such an easy job too, every VMax garage should have one.......or access to a mate who does lol
Glad to hear that you got it syncd.

OK, more data, I am waiting on my carb sync tool to show up, but I started her up, and noticed the right rear is the one having the issue, I had the airbox off, and at idle, it would pop , and I could see the fire in the air intake of that carb, that was the only one doing it, all the rest were fine, additionally when I shut her down, there was more smoke in that air intake, where the rest were nearly smoke free.....

Does that sound like a sync issue, or perhaps a timing/valve issue?

Joe

More than likely it is a synch problem. If the butterfly is closed, no fuel is going to the cylinder and the spark is igniting oil residue. If you pull that spark plug it will probably look fouled from oil residue. With out the right amount of fuel to the cylinder it can not burn clean. If you feel that exhaust on idle it will be much cooler than the rest. You may have to replace or swap plugs to get the cylinder firing while syncing. The cylinder does not have to be firing to sync, but it is best.

OK, more data, I am waiting on my carb sync tool to show up, but I started her up, and noticed the right rear is the one having the issue, I had the airbox off, and at idle, it would pop , and I could see the fire in the air intake of that carb, that was the only one doing it, all the rest were fine, additionally when I shut her down, there was more smoke in that air intake, where the rest were nearly smoke free.....

Does that sound like a sync issue, or perhaps a timing/valve issue?

Joe

The pop thru the carb is usually a lean issue....but I would completely sync all 4 carbs first before trying to adjust something. The sync just might fix it.

WOW, so I hooked up the carb sync tool and went to work tonight, BAM, all 4 were out of sync, this bike is running like freaking NEW now, well, almost. :) It's nearly synced up, but I can't get the left and right synced since it's idling at around 900-1000 and when I turn the screw it seems it's dropping below a comfortable idle. Now I just need to find the idle adjust screw, and finish up!

Look in the first pic, the idle thumb screw is right between the two drain hoses, it's a thumb screw........

Attachments

• IMG011.jpg
    IMG011.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 24
Look in the first pic, the idle thumb screw is right between the two drain hoses, it's a thumb screw........

Well, shit, that just makes FAR too much sense. :) Thanks, got it, Idling much smoother at 1000 now, darkness is my enemy, so one more sync next time I have daylight and don't want to ride her, but a quick zip down the street and back feels a LOT better than it did. Very smooth idle, and responsive throttle, though I wasn't geared up, so I didn't punch her much.

Joe

Latest posts

Back