Overcharging

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr.n2o

Reaction score
Ok so I have a brand new Odyssey pc680 in the bike. Stator checks out good and up to spec along with a new regulator/rectifier. I'm seeing 13.5V at idle and off idle I'm seeing 16-17V across the battery. I have the c o p mod and the bike runs fine but this rate of charge off idle bothers me. It wont start happening until the bike has been running for a bit. Any thoughts ?

Like jf said bad RR and then it could be that rr does not have a good ground. The way I understand it the rr bleeds over voltage to ground...

I had this issue awhile back. Verify all of your ground connections to make sure they are clean and tight. If all of your grounds look good swap the R/R with a new or known good one.

For me I had replaced my R/R with a brand new unit and it went bad in about 3 months. One day it decided to overcharge the whole system (it actually went to 20+ when I tested it). It ended up frying the starter relay and battery in the process.

There's no way you can overcharge without a bad r/r. (Or a poor ground specifically on the r/r that won't let it find a ground path to dump
excess voltage) The second R stands for regulator. It's its job to dump or bleed off excess voltage to ground. Without it the charging system makes well in excess of normal charging voltage.

I've seen brand new electronic r/r do this (the retrofit ones from later model bikes)

Thanks for the input guys....greatly appreciated. Gonna head out side in a few and check all grounds and batteries in meter. Strange thing is it's a brand new r/r that I sanded the coating on the back of for a good connection. It starts overcharging after the bike is running for about 5-6 minutes.....I'll check it out and get back....thanks !

Thanks for the input guys....greatly appreciated. Gonna head out side in a few and check all grounds and batteries in meter. Strange thing is it's a brand new r/r that I sanded the coating on the back of for a good connection. It starts overcharging after the bike is running for about 5-6 minutes.....I'll check it out and get back....thanks !

The older R/R had a compromised path to ground,John. The mounting studs for the peg bracket are often corroded and the only path back to ground. An added 14 ga. ground wire is a big help. A later style R/R will have the added ground already on it. They can be identified by the added heat sink fins. I am guessing Yamaha changed around 1996 to the new R/R.
Steve

Out here now. I ordered an aftermarket one from electrosport.com....no extra ground wire from r/r but I'm gonna clean up peg mounts and run an extra ground wire to batt negative and see what happens

Just for reference my '99 is still on its original r/r, 50,000 miles, I think they're pretty good units if grounded well.

Out here now. I ordered an aftermarket one from electrosport.com....no extra ground wire from r/r but I'm gonna clean up peg mounts and run an extra ground wire to batt negative and see what happens
That will work.Either mounting bolt to a good ground, batt. is best.
Steve

Just for reference my '99 is still on its original r/r, 50,000 miles, I think they're pretty good units if grounded well.

I did just about everything you can do this morning. Still getting 15v at idle and off idle 16-18v...cleaned up all ground surfaces and even ran an extra wire from regulator to neg post of battery......no dice. I'm guessing they gave me a brand new shitty regulator. Hopefully they'll take it back for a new one

Checked stator and I'm getting 70 Volts A/C on all 3 legs. Thankfully because it's 2 years old. I'm just baffled with this. The only conclusion between the testing and research that I have is that the new rectifier is bad. I hope they exchange it because I had to sand the surface of it in the back where it mounts to foot peg mount for good connection. $100 right there

I've seen a brand new out of the box electro sport over charge like that.

Thanks Rusty. I'm just frustrated as hell because I'm not %100 sure they'll exchange it yet....thanks for all the help guys....I'll keep you posted

Sean Morley will sell you the new style, plug n play, finned r/r for less than that, and it has the added ground specific wire already in the harness. Simply buy 2 longer mounting bolts for it, and forget about trying to keep the footpeg assy mounting bolts clean for a ground. Too simple.

Back