Overcharging

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sean Morley will sell you the new style, plug n play, finned r/r for less than that, and it has the added ground specific wire already in the harness. Simply buy 2 longer mounting bolts for it, and forget about trying to keep the footpeg assy mounting bolts clean for a ground. Too simple.

That may be the next move. I have to see if they'll exchange this one first. I'm getting the furry eyebrow from the wife with all the money I've been spending lately

I went through this r/r changing under charging old 1 and then the new 1 was over charging after market 1. I bought 2005 vmax model charging at 13.7 volts wired to the bettery mod and fuse 30 amp. This was about 2 years ago.

Attachments

• vmax rr1.JPG
    vmax rr1.JPG
    470.7 KB · Views: 24
  • vmax rr2.JPG
    vmax rr2.JPG
    494.8 KB · Views: 24
  • vmax rr.JPG
    vmax rr.JPG
    470.2 KB · Views: 28
  • vmax rr3.JPG
    vmax rr3.JPG
    500.3 KB · Views: 24
  • vmax rr4.JPG
    vmax rr4.JPG
    413.4 KB · Views: 26
The old was under charging, I bought a new that was working find for a few days it started over charging 16 to 17 volts after market, so I bought a new 1 Yamaha.... The pictures on the lift is the after market 1 and the 1 on the right is Yamaha r/r.

Attachments

• vmax rr5.JPG
    vmax rr5.JPG
    407.9 KB · Views: 37
The old was under charging, I bought a new that was working find for a few days it started over charging 16 to 17 volts after market, so I bought a new 1 Yamaha.... The pictures on the lift is the after market 1 and the 1 on the right is Yamaha r/r.
Thank you for the information. I believe the only way to go is getting one with the added ground wire

Thank you for the information. I believe the only way to go is getting one with the added ground wire

The 1 with the ground ground wire is the part number is on the box...

I bought it from partszilla price was not to bad... never had any more problems.

Well I contacted Electrosport and told them my dilemma. The sales manager told me to send it back and he would replace it with a new one. I was happy about that because a lot of times there's no refund for electrical stuff. I then mentioned that I would like the newest model ESR280, the finned one with the ground wire in harness as a replacement. He told me "no problem" just make a note on the invoice when you send back the old one and he'd take care of it.......pretty good deal and nice guy to deal with.

That is great news!:clapping: Electrosport sounds like a stand up company, let us know how it works out in the end.
I just ordered a FH012aa mofset rectifier ($46.00 used) to update my original R/R. I had added a wiring kit last year that replaced most of charging circuit wires with these two kits: Starter and Ground. I also ordered the Eastern Beaver kit for FH012aa to replace the wires from the factory stator connector to new R/R and then from the R/R to the battery. I've not had any issues with my electrical system since I purchased the bike but with a 22 year old bike I thought I'd try to stay ahead of the game.

Well I contacted Electrosport and told them my dilemma. The sales manager told me to send it back and he would replace it with a new one. I was happy about that because a lot of times there's no refund for electrical stuff. I then mentioned that I would like the newest model ESR280, the finned one with the ground wire in harness as a replacement. He told me "no problem" just make a note on the invoice when you send back the old one and he'd take care of it.......pretty good deal and nice guy to deal with.

I had 2, I bought from electrosport both of them went out... if you buy from them make sure you check the charge after like 100 miles. The 1st 1 was under charging, the 2nd was over charging. I had to send the 1st back for the to check it out they found it not charging right. So they sent me out a 2nd 1 after about 40 to 50 miles it started over charging. So I call them, they told me to send the 2nd 1 back and they check it - it was over charging 16 to 17 volts. So they said we can send you out a 3rd they will check it before we ship it out or we can refund your money back. I told them refund and I will buy the yamaha r/r. My bike is 1992 it had the old type install with out the fins. So I order the new style a 2005 with the ground wire built in.

I bought the new r/r from partszilla this was 2 years ago.

The 1 in the picture is from electrosport on the lift.
The guy electrosport was very nice and very helpful.

Attachments

• vmax rr5.JPG
    vmax rr5.JPG
    407.9 KB · Views: 20
I had 2, I bought from electrosport both of them went out... if you buy from them make sure you check the charge after like 100 miles. The 1st 1 was under charging, the 2nd was over charging. I had to send the 1st back for the to check it out they found it not charging right. So they sent me out a 2nd 1 after about 40 to 50 miles it started over charging. So I call them, they told me to send the 2nd 1 back and they check it - it was over charging 16 to 17 volts. So they said we can send you out a 3rd they will check it before we ship it out or we can refund your money back. I told them refund and I will buy the yamaha r/r. My bike is 1992 it had the old type install with out the fins. So I order the new style a 2005 with the ground wire built in.

I bought the new r/r from partszilla this was 2 years ago.

The 1 in the picture is from electrosport on the lift.

The guy electrosport was very nice and very helpful.

They're shipping me the new model and hopefully it works out. I like what you said about checking it every so often to make sure it's doing it's job. I JUST WANNA GO FOR A RIDE !

When you get it install keep us posted on it. Both r/r was the 1 with the ground wire install that I had problems with. Make your you ride not to far from home for a few miles and check the voltage. I just could not take any more chances on a 3rd from Electrosport the guy I talk to there was real cool. I ride my vmax out of town sometimes so I had to go with the yamaha r/r for peace of mind. It's been install for 2 years now. I use a volt meter install on the bike to keep track of my voltage.

Attachments

• IMG_20140410_182432.jpg
    IMG_20140410_182432.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 22
If I end up having a problem with the second one, I'm gonna go with the Yamaha mosfet r/r or the one you went with.

Update....I installed the finned updated model and put about 40 miles on it today. Stuck the meter on it as soon as I pulled in the driveway just to make sure everything was maintaining and I'm seeing 14.40v pretty consistently from idle to 5000rpm. Hope it stays that way.

Update....I installed the finned updated model and put about 40 miles on it today. Stuck the meter on it as soon as I pulled in the driveway just to make sure everything was maintaining and I'm seeing 14.40v pretty consistently from idle to 5000rpm. Hope it stays that way.

:clapping: Good deal....just what mine did too.....14.5 @ idle, 14.3 anywhere off idle.

Pretty comforting, eh? :biglaugh: Maybe this year we can find the Devil's Tombstone instead of having to stare at our voltage gauges! :blink000:

:clapping: Good deal....just what mine did too.....14.5 @ idle, 14.3 anywhere off idle.

Pretty comforting, eh? :biglaugh: Maybe this year we can find the Devil's Tombstone instead of having to stare at our voltage gauges! :blink000:

Yes that would be much more fun ! Had a blast on the last go around

Latest posts

Back