Pilot screws...WHY ME!?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dodgediesel59

Reaction score
So i am starting to think i should have just left these carbs alone.... Anyhow i was tearing down the carbs today to do a very good cleaning and i cannot get the pilot screw of of carb 3. All the other ones came right out but this one felt stripped from the begining like somebody preivously messed it up for me. there was a yellowish paste in the hole kinda looked like those paint marker things. So anyways, i know you are all gonna say send it to Sean because thats all i have found so far. I know its not seized because i can turn it it. Only turned it a touch but you can tell for sure the screw is turning. So my question is what can i do to get some traction on this thing and try to get it out?

Number 3 is on the up side and collects rain if it's been left out but Yellow's not right.... Trying to get traction could be rough too. There's not enough of a head to get too much on. If it turns you may want to kind of tweak it out a little at a time. You'll run a risk of stripping the head unless you can get the right width screwdriver head on it. I ground a screw driver down to fit better in the slot..... As it turns, I don't know if penetrating oil would help...

I wish you Really Good Luck.....

lots of penetrant oil and yup common problem, take your time. might have to get small drill bits to get it out thats what i had to do. #60, right in the middle and it worked. if you dont want to take the risk call sean morley and he can help you before it gets to messed up. also there are a few guys here that might be able to help you, maybe they will chime in and give their ideas.

So i am starting to think i should have just left these carbs alone.... Anyhow i was tearing down the carbs today to do a very good cleaning and i cannot get the pilot screw of of carb 3. All the other ones came right out but this one felt stripped from the begining like somebody preivously messed it up for me. there was a yellowish paste in the hole kinda looked like those paint marker things. So anyways, i know you are all gonna say send it to Sean because thats all i have found so far. I know its not seized because i can turn it it. Only turned it a touch but you can tell for sure the screw is turning. So my question is what can i do to get some traction on this thing and try to get it out?

Will it thread in and bottom out so the tip comes through into the bore?

Can you push it out from inside the carb throat? There's a tiny hole just above the throttle plate....or maybe blow some air down PAJ-1 once it's backed out all the way.

If it's turning then you probably have it stripped like you mentioned. You can try sticking something in the bleed hole that was mentioned and pushing it out at the same time you turn it. Might be able to get it that way.

Sean

The head was pretty mangled when i started and now its very well done for. We worked oil in there and had it turning but it will only back out so far before it stops dead. My ladies dad has a very good machinist friend who is going to look at it tomorrow. He said we can probably put it in the mill and drill it and tap it or maybe get an easy out in there then. I will let ya guys know what happens....

Good luck on it. We can remove them but note that if it's drilled off center that makes my chances greatly reduced.

Sean

Pilot screw out. Viced it into a cnc mill and put a hole dead center and got it out with a small easy out. Ran a tap through the threads and new pilot goes in smoothly. Guess if you got the right tools anything is possible! Thanks for all the input guys i greatly appreciate it.

I'm really happy this project turned out so well... Congratsulations...

Dave

Thank you! I was very very worried for the worst when the day started. It only cost me a six pack, so i cant complain :eusa_dance:

Some times, I think these bikes are Possessed and have to be EXORCISED... Good Luck from here on, I've conquered 1 VMax's Evil Spirit and I'm still working on the second... I call it SkullDuggery....:biglaugh:

Good deal Robert....and the price was right too! :punk:

Was there any indication on the A/F screw why it would only back out part way? :ummm:

hi, i also had this problem once heres what i did , i got i small torx slightly larger than the hole in the pilot jet and chapped it into the hole about 4mm nice and tight, heated the area around the jet threads with a hair dryer for about 5 mins and with a little force it unscrewed ( just buy a new pilot jet and refit it ) let me know if it worked.

Pilot screw out. Viced it into a cnc mill and put a hole dead center and got it out with a small easy out. Ran a tap through the threads and new pilot goes in smoothly. Guess if you got the right tools anything is possible! Thanks for all the input guys i greatly appreciate it.

What size tap did you use? I could not find the right tap for my carbs so ended up buying an ebay set, but if I could get the original carbs fixed up I'd use them instead.

I think the tread is talking about the A/F screws (pilot screws), not the pilot jets. The pilot screws do not have a hole in them. They can be a pain to remove if the threads are corroded

Latest posts

Back