plug color

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mymax04

Reaction score
anyone ever had a red plug color?:confused2: no pics i tried they come out blurry Really its choclate brown from the end (below) the electrode and the rest is brick red

I agree - red is most likely to do with rust. It could be in the tank, but it could also come from old coolant. How is your cooling system?

Stabil would make sense! We Iowan's have to use it... I use Seafoam but Stabil is another one...

How's it run?

ive put 230 miles on it (on my 3rd fill up) and i think they were new plugs maybe a couple hundred miles on them when i got it. coolant could use changing. its probably original. I'll see if i can look in the tank for rust. whats the best way to change coolant? fuel tank looks fine.

ive had it for 3 weeks & that is definatley on my to do list so i guess im doig it today. ive got a universal yellow antifreeze at work think that will be ok?

ive had it for 3 weeks & that is definatley on my to do list so i guess im doig it today. ive got a universal yellow antifreeze at work think that will be ok?

As long as you go at least 50/50 with water you should be fine. Distilled water is even better. The more water the better cooling, the more coolant the better antifreeze protection. Typically I like mixing 75/25 water/coolant, but I'm in Florida.

Make sure it's silicate free! I can't stress that enough!

Drain old, refill with distilled water and white vinegar and run bike until up to running temp, drain, refill once more with dist. water and vin and run until up to temp. Then dump and refill with silicate free antifreeze and distilled water mix.

DO NOT use tap water no matter what!

I use Engine Ice because I have had good luck with it. It's pour and go premixed.

4gasm that is more than i planned on but it sounds good ill do it but need more details what like half distilled water & half vinager fo the first 2 steps?

my guy at napa says they have low silicate, phosphate free but thats the best he could come up with

all right my yellow uni antifreeze is all makes all models no phosphate no silicate so thats whats going back in. I dont see why old coolant would make the plugs brick red.

I run Non Ethanol Fuel with Stabil, Octane Booster and Marvel Mystery Oil mixed in. My plugs do run a slight reddish color, slight tint. The bikes have all run pretty good this way. I've been running the Octane Booster / MMO mix, small amounts for 20 or so years. I feel it gives a little extra protection when running hard and at high rpms.

The reason for the Stabil now is because I keep a stock of fuel here at the house. Non Ethanol is only available at 2 stations that I know of in Pinellas County.

As for the Anti Freeze, I'm running Prestone, Extended Life, 50 / 50 Premix. It's Silicate, Phosphate, Borate and Nitrite Free. Whatever
that has to do with the subject of the thread?

I suspect the reddish plugs are from sta-bil. Whatever red dye they put in it will stain just about anything red. Hell you could probably paint your house with the stuff. When the bottle is empty, the inside of the plastic is tinted red. Every time I've heard of red plugs, it's usually from massively over-doing some sort of fuel additive.

Mine tend to be a light gray color also. Bike runs awesome. Blue stabil in it now for the winter, but otherwise it runs fine on the E10 that's everywhere around here. I'd tried loads of different additives (seafoam, star tron, marvel oil, and a host of others), and I noticed absolutely no difference running any of them so I don't bother. Subjectively it does run a bit "better" on straight gas, but that is now 100% impossible to find in NY now.

Back